Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Spending More Or Less On Christmas Gifts This Year?

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

Today I heard that Canadians spend $1,600 on average on Christmas gifts which is far more than what we spend (we have small families with wee children). Don't get me wrong - I love the spirit of giving - but I believe it can be done in ways that do not put people into debt. What my husband and I like to do is give to those in need in third-world countries like buying them goats, chickens, seeds, wells for safe water, and so on. They *need* those things to survive; we do not *need* most of the presents we receive. The thought of people overspending and running into debt because it can be almost expected saddens me. However, we know of people who are spending on experiences rather than gifts this year, such as sleigh rides which is awesome.

As I love to cook and bake I usually make food gifts such as flavoured vinegars, oils, finishing salts, preserves, etc. We also want to help out at the local shelter this Christmas. My husband and I are blessed with so much for which I am extremely grateful. As I type thisI find myself wondering why I do not help out at the shelter more than I do. :(

What say you? Are you spending more or less this year? No judgements - just curious to see what trends are in your area. :) Do you spend out of obligation? I must admit sometimes we do (i.e. gifts for husband's workplace).
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

Less for me, which is fine. Its the thought that counts.

#3 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

I hadn't really thought about it in a comparison sort of way vs. years past. Same thing, I don't really "need" anything other than I need some underwear replaced because I destroy socks (don't ask.... ;), I sort socks into several categories of failure, of what could be worn in public if I were to suddenly have to take my shoes off, or not :lol: ) or my washer and dryer eats them, leaving many mismatched ones, and my husband won't buy himself outdoor work type farm shirts, preferring to wear ratty ones, :ph34r: so we just sort of do that sort of thing every year, and stuff for the pets/animals, and then the charity thing. And I would rather go on a day trip somewhere, that's more fun, and if we eat out, then we at least get to make sure somebody gets a tip.

If the traffic we saw yesterday while grocery shopping during some inclement weather was any indication, the economy is trying to pick up a bit.

#4 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

Well I used to spend a lot on Christmas but I have nothing to spend anymore. My money goes to paying off old debt (from my families business which went out last Feb). Sigh. I love giving gifts, especially ones I know will bring joy to the recipient. Sadly I haven't got a crafty bone in my body. I love crafts but the stuff I make looks like a 4 year old made it. (really trust me, it's bad) About the only thing I can do a decent job with is Sun-catchers.
If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#5 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

Less for me. We just moved to another state and are paying our house payment back home and rent here. It's kinda tight right now.

#6 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Both. Less money, more time. :)

I taught my last class of the semester yesterday, and I gave my freshmen a pen in the uni's color, and a note pad with the three reasons why they were special (three different reasons for each student). I also often give out baked goods, so...
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

I've spent more than usual but that doesn't amount to much to be honest. All told we are probably reeling it all in at under $200. I used to bake for a full week before Christmas and spend the day before delivering fresh cookies, brownies, breads, cupcakes and other assorted cookies. This year at first I was at a loss, while I enjoy my gluten free goodies I see no reason to expect other to and I am frankly not spending the money on gluten free baked goods for acquaintances who used to get baked goods as a thoughtful but frankly cheap gift. Instead we are trying out peanut brittle recipes (I've never made it before), making peppermint bark in white, dark and mixed, and making chocolate covered pretzels. Now the trick is to keep telling myself that this is all meant as GIFTS and that I just bought new pants and I'd like to be able to keep wearing them. :lol:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: