This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ok, I'm New! Looking For Some Suport! Please!

Waladsameen

Waladsameen Newbie

Alright, where to begin? With a family history of arthritis, high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, obeseity, and some other issues I cannot think of from the top of my head; I have been introduced to the gluten free diet/lifestyle by my father. This started off with his personal nurse suggesting that he should go gluten free. He has been "gluten-free" for about a month and it has alieved some of his ailments (if you want to know the ailments, just ask!).

In my family, we are overweight/obese and maintaining a heathy lifestyle is a big thing in my family. Sooo, he has giving me the "Wheat Belly" book to read. I am an open minded person and I have considered to adapt to this lifestyle. I am here to make some friends to possibly mentor or help me keep on track, because I have a bad habit of slipping! Ugh, so if I can get a few to support me, I can also help too in the long run. Thank you to anyone reading this, ciao for now!

Very respectfully

RJ

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Hi RJ,

Before going gluten free you may want to consider being tested for celiac.  A positive test may help to keep you motivated.  Seeing your Dad's improvement is surely inspiring.  Congratulations, to him and I surely hope he will continue to improve.

You may be surprised how your motivation level will rise if and when you accidentally intake gluten after stopping.  I hope that will be so.  My motivation is very solid since I feel so much better gluten free and healing.

You may want to share your symptoms just to hear of others that share them.  My main symptoms were overwhelming fatigue and brain fog.  I am clear of them after 30 years undiagnosed.  Now, I am running off to see what else I can do with my life.  Just now, cutting zucchini.

Best wishes for defeating your symptoms,

D

w8in4dave Community Regular

Are you adapting it for your health? Or because you are having symptoms of Celiac? It is a hard diet to be on if you are not Celiac.  There are so many places Gluten hides in. Cans of stuff you'd never think of. So there is alot of label reading. And you can gain weight on a Gluten free diet also. Alot of people have gained weight from it. I have lost weight. But I am trying to eat more natural foods, fresh meats fruits and veggies. I only eat Boxed noodles once a week if I do at all. Once in a while I will eat a burrito or something but for me I say once a week for "Junk Food" ... I have Glutened myself a few times not knowing it. Eating out can be a challenge also, I have been Glutened  from that also. So you have to do your homework. Read up on it and if you really want to get healthier than , go Gluten free :) Good luck and yes I am interested in your symptoms. There is also a Newbie link you should read. Very interesting :) 

Kassia Newbie

Okay. First: I think living a gluten-free lifestyle is a serious challenge for anyone who doesn't have to do it. It's not a lot of fun, and as w8in4dave mentioned, it requires constant vigilance. Second, and I think we can all attest to this, going gluten-free is not a free pass to weight loss. If only!

I would strongly suggest seeing your doctor and discussing this decision first. Based on your posting, you have no reason to suspect celiac is a problem, but your father's improvement may point to issues with gluten (or something else). I believe information is very powerful, and talking to your doctor before you start down this path is a good first step.

Good luck!

Waladsameen Newbie

Thank you VERY freaking much for the input everyone. Yes, I am going gluten-free for health reasons. As mentioned before, I am obese. I have tried diets and portion control (one of my bad habits), as well as going to the gym. I read a suggestion of testing for Celiac. Yes, I will consider and do this as soon as possible, as I am unemployed for the time being and cannot pay for medical expenses at the moment, but yes, I will get tested.

When I was on diets, I did stick to them, but did not see results. The ONLY thing I have maintained is going to the gym. But now, (since I am not working at the moment), I am putting a heck of a lot more effort into my workouts. I am just trying to lose more weight for my health. Point being is that I am determined to be a healthier person. The gym workouts is part of my gain to be healthier.

My father is more energetic and testifies that his arthritis in his feet is alieved; ever since going gluten-free. The "Wheat Belly" book seems to be our bible for now, until we educate ourselves more about what it means to be gluten-free.

Yes, I am now aware of hidden gluten in food. This is where I/we have to becareful. I like a variety of food, so I try not to restrict and limit to just one thing. With the growing variation of gluten-free food, it can become easier to create a meal. Heck, I LOVE pretzles, I ended up buying some gluten-free ones to replace the non gluten-free ones. Tastes like I'm eating ash, but I figure it will satisfy my cravings... I cannot think of any other symptom other than not being able to lose weight. But I can have symptoms as I age because my family history has a lot of health issues. So, I want to try my damned best to prevent becoming worse than I am already.

I really appreciate all the input, I really do. Thanks a million everyone. I look foward to more conversations! (n_n)

Waladsameen Newbie

I forgot to ask, how would people gain weight from gluten-free? Sorry for my naieveness (is that even a word, lol)...

1desperateladysaved Proficient

The gluten free diet isn't really made to change a person's weight, but instead to get them healthy.  A person which has celiac disease cannot absorb nutrients as they should while eating gluten.  If they can't get enough nutrients they might waste away.  If their body is unable to break down fat, their body may just store it.  By removing gluten, the body can heal and begin to absorb the needed nutrients better.  Thus, a skinny person may be able to gain weight and a heavier person to lose. 

I recommend striving for good health rather than weight control.  This would mean that you do take control of portion size.  I tell my children decide how much is reasonable to eat and then stop eating more.  Be in control.  At this point you may need more nutrients than the average person.  Do be checked to see if you have celiac.  Cut out junk foods, but make sure you have enough meat, nuts, olive oil coconut oil, vegetables.

Try a different brand of pretzels; there may be a better one.  But if none taste good, someone suggested fresh popped corn, and that sounds delicious.

D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi,

The gluten-free diet is a medical diet, not a weight loss diet.  People who just replace their regular baked goods with gluten-free versions can put on weight because the gluten-free versions tend to have more calories and less fiber.  gluten-free breads, pasta etc is more calories dense than non gluten-free kinds often.  The gluten-free versions often don't have the same added vitamins also.

Going gluten-free for health reasons other than celiac disease or NCGI is fine.  The best way to do it is to switch to eating whole foods cooked at home.  Don't buy the processed foods but make your own food instead.

One way to gain more weight on a Gluten free diet is eating more starches and gluten free snacks and boxed stuff. If you want to go Gluten free and lose weight you should eat more natural foods, like fresh meat and fresh veggies , stay away from prepared foods and snacks .... You just want to be healthy "I get it" And eating more natural foods is healthier. For anyone Gluten free or not. Don't buy junk food. Because thats what it is Junk!! Even Gluten free junk food is Junk!! 

Stay away from , chips , boxed foods bagged food, shop the outer perimeters of the store, fresh meats , fresh veggies!! No junk... If your dad is getting help from some one, they may be giving him paper work and such , things to eat and not perhaps? Maby you can get some tips from him? But really read labels!! or cook fresh!! Take your time don't get frustrated!! 

Also watch what your drinking, pop beer, I have a soda or pop once in a while... Those add up to calories. Even if your working out sometimes you still need to cut calories. People tend to only count calories they eat. They need to watch the calories they drink also. If you drink beer stop!! It is just empty calories, drink Soda or pop? Stop!! Only sugary empty calories ... stop bread ,stop noodles, stop cream of soups. Stop stop stop.... eat fresh! i know I just said all that above. But I know what is making you obese and so do you. Put it in your head to stop!! Exercising alone is not enuf!! Stop the junk!! 

Waladsameen Newbie

The gluten free diet isn't really made to change a person's weight, but instead to get them healthy.  A person which has celiac disease cannot absorb nutrients as they should while eating gluten.  If they can't get enough nutrients they might waste away.  If their body is unable to break down fat, their body may just store it.  By removing gluten, the body can heal and begin to absorb the needed nutrients better.  Thus, a skinny person may be able to gain weight and a heavier person to lose.

I recommend striving for good health rather than weight control.  This would mean that you do take control of portion size.  I tell my children decide how much is reasonable to eat and then stop eating more.  Be in control.

Try a different brand of pretzels; there may be a better one.

D

AAH, I understand! Thank you. Yes, health is the utmost key to my future. As mentioned before, I have a family history of major health issues in both mother and father's side of the family. I want to prevent from becoming diabetic and have heart issues etc. Thank you!

Waladsameen Newbie

Also watch what your drinking, pop beer, I have a soda or pop once in a while... Those add up to calories. Even if your working out sometimes you still need to cut calories. People tend to only count calories they eat. They need to watch the calories they drink also. If you drink beer stop!! It is just empty calories, drink Soda or pop? Stop!! Only sugary empty calories ... stop bread ,stop noodles, stop cream of soups. Stop stop stop.... eat fresh! i know I just said all that above. But I know what is making you obese and so do you. Put it in your head to stop!! Exercising alone is not enuf!! Stop the junk!! 

I drink more than enough water! Once purple moon I would drink a beer, but mostly hard ciders. I did find one that is gluten-free, not sure if it is true, but that is pretty cool! I do have a problem with calories and portion size, and I am working on that!! Thank you very much for the input!

cyclinglady Grand Master

My husband's in the "obese" category and he's gluten free (12 years now).   It is hard, because I prepare most of the food that we eat and I cook healthy meals.  Portion control is critical and he doesn't have a clue!  Plus, he is a major couch potato (I'm the opposite in terms of exercise and weight). 

I hear you about the diabetes.  My Dad and sister-in-law were just diagnosed.  

Try eating "whole" foods and shop the outer walls of the grocery store.  Avoid buying anything processed and eat off salad plates instead of a regular plate.  Avoid pretzels (such a waste) and pop your own corn on the stove.  It's low in calories and high in fiber.  Just a tiny bit of oil will do the trick.  

Good luck and keep moving!

kareng Grand Master

I drink more than enough water! Once purple moon I would drink a beer, but mostly hard ciders. I did find one that is gluten-free, not sure if it is true, but that is pretty cool! I do have a problem with calories and portion size, and I am working on that!! Thank you very much for the input!

I haven't found any hard ciders that aren't gluten-free.  All the Woodchuck flavors, Angry Orchard, Hornsby, Crispin, Magnum, ....

Waladsameen Newbie

My husband's in the "obese" category and he's gluten free (12 years now).   It is hard, because I prepare most of the food that we eat and I cook healthy meals.  Portion control is critical and he doesn't have a clue!  Plus, he is a major couch potato (I'm the opposite in terms of exercise and weight). 

Try eating "whole" foods and shop the outer walls of the grocery store.  Avoid buying anything processed and eat off salad plates instead of a regular plate.  Avoid pretzels (such a waste) and pop your own corn on the stove.  It's low in calories and high in fiber.  Just a tiny bit of oil will do the trick.  

OOH, wow. I understand. Your husband IS gluten-free but he is a big guy, are his portions big? My problem is that but I am trying my damned hardest to cut my portions. When I do get "hungry", I grab some fruit and nuts and tha seems to help. I mean, I am a couch potato to an extent (I'm unemployed at the moment, just waiting for my background checks to clear) but I do not sit in the couch ALL DAY. I try to keep busy as much to my ability. I was wondering if you ask and or encourage him to some activity and he rejects your propsitions? I have that problem with my fiance', but that is a whole different can of worms. Thank you for the input!

shadowicewolf Proficient

Have you had your thyroid checked? I've heard that, hashimoto's for example, can cause weight issues.

So your main issue is portion control... Use a small plate. After you have a small breakfast have a healthy snack , like you said nuts ,fruit some , celery sticks, , well your getting the jest. Then try a hobby something to keep you busy, something to keep your mind off of food and hunger. I know you are layed off and money can be tight. try something cheap to do. weather it be building something or going to the park. visiting a friend. Something to keep you busy so you are not sitting on the couch thinking of food. Sometimes if you eat on the couch in front of the TV , Sitting on the couch will trigger you are hungry. So if that is the case do not eat while your sitting on the couch. Eat only at the table when the TV is off.  I know for us, we just don't buy junk food. When my kids were small they had friends that would come over and want chips or ice cream. We don't keep it in the house. So it is not readily available. we would go out for ice cream. You know when your up at 2 am and want a treat ... no chips, so cut up some celery or carrots. And watch the dips you put your veggies in. try to just eat as natural as possible.....I cannot express the no bags and no boxes thing... Good luck and hey !! Let us know how it goes!! :) 

Oopsi I just said some of the stuff you said! Great minds!! :) 

Waladsameen Newbie

I haven't found any hard ciders that aren't gluten-free.  All the Woodchuck flavors, Angry Orchard, Hornsby, Crispin, Magnum, ...

Just found out Angry Orchard is gluten-free! YAAAY! The funny thing is I was already drinking that anyway. There is another brand REDD, or something like that. It is a new cider but not sure it is gluten-free. I will try to find out. Thank you!

kareng Grand Master

Just found out Angry Orchard is gluten-free! YAAAY! The funny thing is I was already drinking that anyway. There is another brand REDD, or something like that. It is a new cider but not sure it is gluten-free. I will try to find out. Thank you!

Redd is an ale with apple flavoring. IT IS NOT gluten-free! Ale means a type of beer.

Open Original Shared Link

Be careful with Gluten free beers, they have more calories that regular beers. Thats the ting with gluten free. Alot of this Gluten free products have more calories. Hence the reason some gain weight going gluten free.

How have you been doing? What is your typical day of eating? I can tell you mine.

Breakfast is a boiled or fried egg if fried usually 2, Lunch is usually veggies left over from the night before. Dinner Last night I made some enchiladas , I use Rice, cut up left over ribs, a can of beans , taco seasoning (gluten-free of course) put cheese on hubbs then some enchilada sauce over the top with more cheese.  I didn't use cheese on mine, But the shells were gluten-free, also the Seasoning and the Sauce was gluten-free. It was very good! For lunch I will have some more :) Smaller portion of course!! 

Waladsameen Newbie

Redd is an ale with apple flavoring. IT IS NOT gluten-free! Ale means a type of beer.

Open Original Shared Link

Perfect!! Thank you!!

Waladsameen Newbie

Be careful with Gluten free beers, they have more calories that regular beers. Thats the ting with gluten free. Alot of this Gluten free products have more calories. Hence the reason some gain weight going gluten free.

How have you been doing? What is your typical day of eating? I can tell you mine.

Breakfast is a boiled or fried egg if fried usually 2, Lunch is usually veggies left over from the night before. Dinner Last night I made some enchiladas , I use Rice, cut up left over ribs, a can of beans , taco seasoning (gluten-free of course) put cheese on hubbs then some enchilada sauce over the top with more cheese.  I didn't use cheese on mine, But the shells were gluten-free, also the Seasoning and the Sauce was gluten-free. It was very good! For lunch I will have some more :) Smaller portion of course!! 

WOW, that is a great variety of meals! I have been eating a small fruit salad for breakfast, salmon patties and boiled vegatables for lunch and dinner is spontaneous. Thanks Dave for the input!

Archived