Jeremy1989

New To Gluten Intolerance! Nausea And Alcohol Questions

Rate this topic

Hello everyone, my names Jeremy. I'm 24 years old and have gone misdiagnosed(I think) for almost 3 years now. My symptoms were extreme nausea, without vomiting, stomach discomfort/pain/tenderness, and bloating. These would onset from eating even the smallest amount of food or drinking the smallest amount of anything. Heck, I'd even have nausea when I didn't eat or drink anything. I haven't been able to eat in a restaurant in over 2 years, and I developed this fear of being in big buildings without a bathroom nearby because I felt like I was going to vomit in public. I couldn't even go on a date because even the smallest bit of nerves would trigger and even more awful bout of nausea. Worst years of my life!! Until recently, someone recommended I look into gluten intolerance.. I've been trying to be gluten free for the past 3 days and I can already tell a difference! Hoping this is it, although it's a joyous feeling, reality sets in that I have to watch every tiny thing I consume. It's been hard and expensive, but I'm willing to do it in order to feel better and hopefully get my life back. Because of my nausea and acid reflux, I've been on 2 acid reducing pills for years. One is Dixlant during the day, and then Zantac at night. I'm hoping I can maybe ween off of them eventually when my gut heals? Also, I love going out on weekends with my friends to the bars(even though a struggle with nausea and all), but now I can't drink beer!! That was my favorite, but oh well, I'm willing to part. So I'm just going to move onto rum, because it seems to get the more clearance above any other type of liquor. I'm not going to flip a coin hoping the bars generic rail vodkas aren't going to have gluten, so I think I'll just stick to rum. NOW, I've read a lot of people not reacting well to sodas... I myself am feeling a struggle with soda(even though I'm only on day 3 of gluten-free). What am I to mix with my rum at the bars?? I am reading people are even having issues with club soda/tonic! I am in desperate need of advice. Also, has anyone felt this sort of nausea I explained having? Thanks in advance!

If your having all this stomach issues/nausea, maybe you shouldn't have alcohol of any kind right now?  It can be very rough on your stomach.  

Sodas don't contain gluten but some people, Celiac or not, may have a problem with an ingredient or the bubbles.  That doesn't mean you will.  

If you are going to drink, what about hard ciders?   Seems like most bars have at least one kind in bottles.  There are gluten-free beers that some places may have, too.   They taste sweeter than regular beer.

Hi Jeremy,

You should go ahead and see a doctor for blood antibody testing right now.  Before being gluten-free any longer.  The blood antibodies decline after being gluten-free a short time, and then the testing is useless.  Going back on gluten later to get testing done requires a 3 month gluten challenge which can be very difficult to do if it is making you sick every day.  So getting tested before starting the gluten-free diet is highly recommended.  It is much better to be tested now than later.

I would always get some mild nausea but nothing like what you describe. And as far as alcohol, I would probably avoid it if my stomach was easily upset. Alcohol is harsh on the stomach. 

That being said, I like rum in juice. 100% pineapple juice is my personal favorite.