This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nut Intolerance Question

Quaylern

Quaylern Rookie

On my IgG food test, I reacted to almonds, walnuts and pecans. I got a +1 on those and I'm supposed to be cutting them out for a while so my gut can heal before attempting to reintroduce them. I took the test pretty literally and I have been eating pistachios and hazelnuts. I don't think pistachios and hazelnuts were included in the test so I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't be eating them either. I'm guessing they are in the same family so I may have a problem with them as well. Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast

IgG testing isn't accurat or suggested by board certified allergists.  If you have eaten them in the past without issue, you aren't allergic to them.

CaliSparrow Collaborator

I was tested for food intolerances (not allergies) and eating ONLY the foods that were okay, brought down my inflammation overnight. One caveat, the tests showed my body had no reactivity towards soy but they say if you have experienced sensitivity to something in the past, don't eat it. I tested it out and still reacted to it. So, I'd say, stick to the foods that checked out okay and see if it helps.

Quaylern Rookie

It does help when I take out the foods I reacted to but I was unsure about other nuts that weren't on the test either way it since I reacted to all the nuts that were tested if I should stay away from some that weren't on the test. I reacted to almonds, walnuts and pecans but pistachios and hazelnuts were not on the test. It's hard to stick to only the foods that were tested and not reacted to because the test size wasn't huge and I had so many that I did react to, I wanted to add a little more variation in my diet.

cyclinglady Grand Master

If you are allergic to tree nuts, then exclude all of the from your diet. Eat peanuts since they are a legume.

Stephanie is right about allergies. The test you took is not accurate but it might make it easier to discover intolerances. At least it was a place to start. Keep a food journal. If you really get a reaction beyond the gut (skin, breathing) then do not eat those things and do not buy foods that are made in a shared facility. Just like celiac disease, you have to read the labels!

CaliSparrow Collaborator

Ask your doctor when it is a good time to add other foods and the length of time you need to give each trial so there's no overlap. Sometimes the testing company can advise you as well.

Quaylern Rookie

Thanks for all the advice. I'll cut out all the tree nuts. So sad. I also reacted to peanuts so I am avoiding them as well. I'm hoping to be able to reintroduce most of the foods after abstaining from them for a while. I also stopped eating gluten at the same time. I'm hoping that as mug it heals, I can add back in many of these foods.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Quaylern Rookie

Also, I am aware of the difference between allergy and intolerance. I know I don't have an allergic reaction to them but since I am trying to heal my gut, I am avoiding foods that I reacted to.

StephanieL Enthusiast

Also, I am aware of the difference between allergy and intolerance. I know I don't have an allergic reaction to them but since I am trying to heal my gut, I am avoiding foods that I reacted to.

What I am saying is that there isn't any peer reviewed studies that show IgG testing as being useful.  Often food logs are much better at pinpointing an issue.  

Quaylern Rookie

What I am saying is that there isn't any peer reviewed studies that show IgG testing as being useful. Often food logs are much better at pinpointing an issue.

As far as food journals go, how are they typically done? I have cut out the foods that I reacted to but it significantly reduced the variety I can have. Would you suggest to start eating the foods again and closely monitor how I feel or reintroduce them more slowly? I appreciate your thoughts.
StephanieL Enthusiast

Depending on the person and how quickly you are trying to figure stuff out the general rule is to start a new food and eat it for at least 3 days before introducing another one.  This *should* be enough time to help pinpoint issue. If you have noticed it takes longer you can wait 5 or 7 days. A lot depends on what kinds of reactions you were seeing.  

When I was doing a log I would keep track of things down to the single ingredient level!  What time I ate it, how much and then track things like sleep, BM patterns and the like. This was actually when I was nursing my child so a bit different but the general idea is the same.  Hope that helps some.

Quaylern Rookie

Thank you! I think I will try this. There are some foods that I would really like to reincorporate.

Archived