This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Officialy Hate My Gluten Free Bakery

John Burlingame

John Burlingame Explorer

Its the only one in houston, I called because in there list of thing, some items may contain soy. I called them and said I was allergic to soy. And asked What product I could eat. The response was terrifying. I was told what Bakery product I could eat, and then they mentioned they use soy lecithin to keep the dough together but I would be fine eating it because anyone with soy allergies were ok eating the soy lecithin. I had to explain that soy lecithin made me sick, the person on the phone couldn't really understand that. The blind leading the blind.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

There are several gluten-free bakeries in Houston.

Open Original Shared Link

StephanieL Enthusiast

It was probably a surprise to them because most (no not all) people with soy allergies don't have an issue with lecithin as the proteins have been removed. 

John Burlingame Explorer

yea, the proteins may have been removed, but its still soy, or they would not add soy to the word, processed soy is bad period. Fermented is the only good part of it.

John Burlingame Explorer

It was probably a surprise to them because most (no not all) people with soy allergies don't have an issue with lecithin as the proteins have been removed. 

they may not have an issue now, but they will down the road. I became intolerant to all parts of processed soy due to the fact of all the fast food and processed food a ate. My doctor said to stop eating so much fast food, it was killing me. Turned out my body was just fighting processed soy. I used it for mouth wash in the morning, brushed my teeth with it. Eat it for breakfast when I sprayed soy lecithin to make my pan slick so the food dont stick, ate it for lunch at taco bell, ate it for dinner ate whataberger. Drank it in Icecream shake, and then had it with some candy at night, oh and dont forget, I chewed it in my gum. and had soy in my hersies chocolate bar. oh and I two Advil a day which also has soy. Soy and soy lecithin is in everything.  All processed soy is good for is stripping your cells.

notme Experienced

yea, the proteins may have been removed, but its still soy, or they would not add soy to the word, processed soy is bad period. Fermented is the only good part of it.

maybe somebody on a soy intolerance web forum would be able to help you better?   you seem to have a terrible problem with soy!  it doesn't seem like we are any help at all to you - most of us have varying degrees of allergies and intolerances to other things.  you might want to keep a food journal.  my soy reaction is similar but NOT a gluten reaction to soy.  a food journal will help you to pinpoint what is really your problem.  if you have healing issues going on, you probably have no business in a bakery to begin with.  think simple and one ingredient.  some of us have lived on eating the same thing every day for a long time until we are healed up enough to start adding things back.  one would think bakery items are not only 1. processed and 2. more than likely full of fats that your body can't digest right now.  

wwjsd?  <what would jon stewart do?  lolz  ^_^  )

John Burlingame Explorer

Got a stick free pan that Teflon. Its got soy in the covering. enjoy your soy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

Got a stick free pan that Teflon. Its got soy in the covering. enjoy your soy

thanks, but i got stainless steel.  i already (successfully) avoid soy.  it's not that hard.

kareng Grand Master

they may not have an issue now, but they will down the road. I became intolerant to all parts of processed soy due to the fact of all the fast food and processed food a ate. My doctor said to stop eating so much fast food, it was killing me. Turned out my body was just fighting processed soy. I used it for mouth wash in the morning, brushed my teeth with it. Eat it for breakfast when I sprayed soy lecithin to make my pan slick so the food dont stick, ate it for lunch at taco bell, ate it for dinner ate whataberger. Drank it in Icecream shake, and then had it with some candy at night, oh and dont forget, I chewed it in my gum. and had soy in my hersies chocolate bar. oh and I two Advil a day which also has soy. Soy and soy lecithin is in everything.  All processed soy is good for is stripping your cells.

Wow!  You had a really bad diet!  That is a lot of sodium, fat, calories, sugar, etc.  Glad you are eating better now. Perhaps eating like that has really messed up your system?  Maybe in a few months of "clean" eating you will tolerate more foods. 

I second Arlene.  Perhaps a soy intolerance forum would be more helpful to you than a Celiac forum right now?  

John Burlingame Explorer

dont get me wrong, Im gluten free, and this site rocks. I just have any place to shout out my lungs and get this off my chest, I try to make valid points. If there is a soy site, cool. But I have a gluten issue as well. Im mad as hell. Not much I can do about it, maybe educate some people out there if I can. I dont want to put my self out there as nuts. But I lost everything I held dear to me. Easy food. I know make everything from scratch. even my candy. Im about to make a massive garden in my back yard because some idiots felt the need to put soy in everything eaten by the American people. Every time my head hurts it cost 1$ a pill to swallow. because ever pill manufacture has soy in the crap.

kareng Grand Master

. I just have any place to shout out my lungs and get this off my chest,

I have tried to help you. There are gluten-free bakeries and companies that are also soy free. I gave you a link, on one of your other threads, to a list of these companies. Other's have tried to help you. This is a forum, so, by its nature, people try to explain things and offer advice/help. If that is not what you are looking for, perhaps a blog is more what you want? Somewhere you can rant and let your frustrations out? We have a blog section.

StephanieL Enthusiast

John I get it. It's in EVERYTHING. We had to avoid soy on top of our long list for a long time and it is hard. My point was only that if the are catering to the allergy set, they may not know that some people have issues with ALL the parts of soy.  There are people like you who can not deal with any of it but there is a majority that even if they have IGE allergy can still handle it so they may be surprised it all. 

John Burlingame Explorer

I have tried to help you. There are gluten-free bakeries and companies that are also soy free.  I gave you a link, on one of your other threads, to a list of these companies.   Other's have tried to help you. This is a forum, so, by its nature, people try to explain things and offer advice/help.   If that is not what you are looking for, perhaps a blog is more what you want?  Somewhere you can rant and let your frustrations out?

No I got the link, Im real happy with the other choices I have. I was just answering a question, I should have started a new topic, when it got off topic

John Burlingame Explorer

im good, I did my rant. just had to make a point, so many of my family think im nuts. my dad still offers me soy milk to drink, I have no where to talk. im cool. yall all have helped me soo much. Best site ever....

Serielda Enthusiast

Look I know what I may say might sound repetitive, but i 100% get it when you talk of frustration and soy, corn,etc. A month or so ago my entire world got flipped upside down, I was happy as a vegan who was starting to get a hold of the gluten free ropes ,when over the course of a weekend I had the rug snatched under my feet and I was pretty depressed and angry. They told me stop being a vegan and kill all grains from my diet along with other fave things of mine. Best advice ever as I am noticing tiny things showing I'm getting better. In my few weeks of emo rage as my hubby called it all I did was sulk.(yes I did really for few days act like some emo kid at hot topic) then decided to give things a shake. I found other ways to care for animal welfare, plus learned how to bake my own corn and soy free nom nom's and I rocked at it. Try doing a few small things you love with some safe fun twists, you may find you don't miss old faves and like yours better. I <3 the interwebz as there was so much awesome info that helped. Btw I have also found some chocolate out there soy and dairy free , but it's like 85% coco.

dont get me wrong, Im gluten free, and this site rocks. I just have any place to shout out my lungs and get this off my chest, I try to make valid points. If there is a soy site, cool. But I have a gluten issue as well. Im mad as hell. Not much I can do about it, maybe educate some people out there if I can. I dont want to put my self out there as nuts. But I lost everything I held dear to me. Easy food. I know make everything from scratch. even my candy. Im about to make a massive garden in my back yard because some idiots felt the need to put soy in everything eaten by the American people. Every time my head hurts it cost 1$ a pill to swallow. because ever pill manufacture has soy in the crap.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi John,

I agree with you, soy sucks!  I had plenty of problems because of eating soy.  Karen would prolly say I still have plenty  of problems... :D

I know one gluten-free bakery that uses a soy oil spray on their baking sheets to prevent sticking.  So most of their baked goods have soy listed as an ingredient.  I asked them about the soy in all their baked goods and they said they could use a different spray on the baking sheets for me if they knew I was coming in to get something specific.  Pretty nice of them.  That spray was the only soy in most of their products.  Kinda dumb to use it IMHO but there you go.  People ya know.

Anyhow, it can be tuff to avoid soy if you are eating processed foods.  One thing to try is eating only foods with 3 ingredients or less.  The fewer the ingredients the less chance they are going to put some kind of crap in it.  If you stay on mostly whole foods and simple foods for a while it makes it easier for your body to digest and heal IMHO.

Some main stream things that I like are Mission brand corn tortillas, planters peanuts, and I can even eat Giant store roasted chicken now.  I never would of tried that a few years ago when I was new to the diet and trying to heal though.

You can always make your own treats like you said.  There are threads on the forum about making flourless peanut butter cookies, microwave buns etc.  Microwave peanut brittle is another treat to try.

It's quite a learning experience going gluten-free for most of us.  But it can be a healthy change and lead to much better eating habits than many people have.  So it can be a real positive IMHO.  Once we learn a few little things like how to eat right. :)  It just takes time.

Here's some suggestions I think may help.  Not all of these will apply to you.

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.
Get your vitamin/mineral levels tested also.
Don't eat in restaurants
Eat only whole foods not processed foods.
Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.
Take probiotics.
Take gluten-free vitamins.
Take digestive enzymes.
Avoid dairy if it causes symptoms.
Avoid sugars and starchy foods. They can cause bloating.
Avoid alcohol.
Watch out for cross contamination.

And here are some threads on making food:

Easy yummy bread in minutes
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/56641-easy-yummy-bread-in-minutes/

Thread For gluten-free, Dairy, Soy, Corn And Nightshade Free Recipes
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/97786-thread-for-gluten-free-dairy-soy-corn-and-nightshade-free-recipes/

Super Easy Meal Ideas Anyone?
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/97027-super-easy-meal-ideas-anyone/

Good Gluten Free Meals Prepared Using A Microwave?
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/102685-good-gluten-free-meals-prepared-using-a-microwave/#entry885634

kareng Grand Master

Hi John,

I agree with you, soy sucks!  I had plenty of problems because of eating soy.  Karen would prolly say I still have plenty  of problems... :D

I know one gluten-free bakery that uses a soy oil spray on their baking sheets to prevent sticking.  So most of their baked goods have soy listed as an ingredient.  I asked them about the soy in all their baked goods and they said they could use a different spray on the baking sheets for me if they knew I was coming in to get something specific.  Pretty nice of them.  That spray was the only soy in most of their products.  Kinda dumb to use it IMHO but there you go.  People ya know.

A

Yeah....GeeEff, you got problems! I got problems! We all got somethang!

It is very hard to find a soy free cooking spray but there is one available to bakeries and restaurants. I don't remember the name. if they want to know, I could probably find out. It's more expensive. They could also hand grease pans and baking sheets ( takes a lot of time and mess). Or use one of those oil masters with their own oil in it.

GFinDC Veteran

Thanks Karen, maybe John 's bakery could use it.  I've moved away from that area, so not going to that bakery again.  Your turkey gobbler dancing reminds me of Thanksgiving.  Think I'll start a thread on frying tooikies.  Never tried it and looking for tips.  And in another off-topic rant, he fades from the thread...  fading... fadin, fadddddd....

John Burlingame Explorer

Hey, guys Im realy happy for the great info, I got put on probation for the rant, but it was all in good taste. I just put it out there. I now see allot of other people are having the same issue. JUST SO FRUSTRATING. I found a local bakery, thanks for the post, they hate to use soy in there baking, got some great bread and cookies...YUM YUM. Also the 3 ingredient thing, we are just getting into that, one egg and bananas and baking powder.. yummy pancakes ... Oh in an off note Im having a wonderful soy reaction to my favorite Neosporin. Im an absolute mess, just to have to wait it out for it to process out.....going to drink lots of water...

GFinDC Veteran

That's great John, the bakery.  It really seems to me like some of the gluten-free companies just don't get it.  Using dairy and soy and tater starch in lots of their products.  Enjoy Life products is one exception that is good about avoiding the more common problem ingredients.  Some of the adjustment to gluten-free is plain old time and experience.  Weeding out problem foods can make a huge difference in how we feel though, so it's worth taking time to do.  I hope you get over your Neosporin reaction quickly.

Archived