Rate this topic

Hello everyone and btw please excuse me if my english is bad ): ! the idea of having celiac has been around my head since a significant time ago, i have anti thyroid autoantibodies and a borderline t4 and tsh, dry eye, multiple joint and muscle pain, acid reflux, stomach pain, diarrhea alternated with constipation, floating and weird stoles, psoriasis, nausea, dizziness, vitamin A deficit, vitamin b12 decifit, vitamin D deficit, random bleeding from lady parts, not related to ovulation, menstruation or anything, im tired all the time and im done feeling like crap everyday, my medic of course suspect celiac so i have a blood work done, it come back negative, i also had what i think was herpetiform dermatitis, sadly i didn't know about it at that time and as i have psoriasis gutata too and it looks kind of similar i think it was the same thing at the beginning, they were blisters that itch a lot on my knees, i should have gone to the doctor but now its too late since they are gone so i cant, the thing is, i was gluten free almost 100% for a very long time, it was kind of intuitive, i didn't think i had celiac at that point, but notice a significant difference eating that way so i "follow my instinct", the dermatitis and psoriasis disappear, later i started consuming gluten once in a while but not in a regular way, maybe one week i eat something, the next week anything, etc etc (i had symptoms this way and thats why i went to the doctor), i was told by my doctor to eat gluten for at least two weeks before the blood work, and i was so bad that i had to go to the urgency's, a lot of stomach pain and constipation, fever, diarrhea, it was hell, so i eat as much as i can but maybe not as regular as i should, Now that i see that all antibodies are completely normal i feel lost and crazy, should i do the biopsy anyway? i dont know any other way to explain the multiple vitamin deficit since i eat really healthy, could this have to be with the fact that i was gluten free for a long time? (the absence of antibodies) even tho i consume gluten once in a while at those times? every antibody come back negative and i had a total IGA and im not deficient. I dont know what to think, i was on my period when blood work was done and i also had flu like syntoms, my immune system was hitting rock bottom as always on these days, maybe that's the reason? idk what to think really... any advice or thought

If a person with Celiac is eating gluten-free, then the antibodies should be negative.  It sounds like you were gluten-free, so you wouldn't expect to have any antibodies.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge/

• Prior to blood testing we recommend 12 weeks of eating gluten."
Edited by kareng

13 minutes ago, kareng said:

If a person with Celiac is eating gluten-free, then the antibodies should be negative.  It sounds like you were gluten-free, so you wouldn't expect to have any antibodies.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge/

• Prior to blood testing we recommend 12 weeks of eating gluten."

Thanks for your answer, i was eating gluten before the test, my doctor said i should eat at least two weeks and that's what i did, but not everyday, since i had to stop for 2 or 3 days because of awfull symptoms, i should eat gluten for 12 weeks? that is a lot, :S, in the page you quoted said that 2 weeks is okay for biopsy but blood work takes more, so you can have enought damage on your insides before having antibodys? on the antitransglutaminasa IGG i got 6,9 , 10 is considered positive, even tho is negative is not 0, could it mean something? btw when i ate gluten those 2 weeks i eat full meal, not slices of bread so i thought it would take less time for antibodys to build up, idk

Two weeks (experts say 2 to 4 weeks) on a gluten challenge can be enough to obtain tissue samples (biopsy) through an endoscopic procedure.  I  am sorry that your doctor is not knowledgeable about celiac disease.  Karen is right that it's about 12 weeks for the blood tests.  

The intestines can be damaged rather quickly if you have celiac disease, but it takes time for antibodies to build and circulate in the blood.  Your blood result?  Most people never have a 0.  You need to go above the range (in your case a "10").  

Two weeks may not be enough of a challenge.  Figure 2 in this paper:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3525791/#!po=33.8235

shows a very slight increase in some antibody levels at two weeks but it really took four weeks for the bigger increase.  If you're so sick during the challenge it certainly says that your body can't handle gluten.

Thanks everyone, the graphic was very interesting!, ill keep eating gluten in case i need a biopsy but im unable to keep a diary intake, do i have to eat gluten absolutely everyday? im going to talk with my doctor and see if he HOPEFULLY want to recheck my blood in a moth or so, to see if antibodies build up on me, but im worry he send me back home with a "you are not celiac, you just have ibs" , at least i hope he wants to do the biopsy, he also send me quite a disgusting study that checks for steatorreah, i have to eat 100 gr of butter everyday for 5 days and then collect the last 2, any experience on this subject? Van de Kamer is called i think... im scared because it sounds so aggressive even for a healthy bowel and in general oily food make me feel sick u.u