Rate this topic

Hi, just looking for some advice as I'm still learning. I'm looking to go to Kenya next week and I'm quite stressed about the journey, I'm not too bothered about while I'm there as I should mostly be able to eat fresh fruit, vegetables and meat. What's the deal with chips (fries) in fast food places and restaurants, should they always be avoided? And how about rice? I've seen packets before that say may contain gluten.

Thanks

Perhaps take some meal bars, and a  canister of meal replacement powder and a shaker bottle for emergency meals/fallback, I would say be careful of any prepared foods. I have never been to kenya but just my general travel suggestions is to bring my own and not trust anything processed/cooked by others.

I was in Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana & South Africa this summer, with very few problems.  I brought a ton of Kind bars, Justin's peanut butter packets and Costco beef jerky just in case!  I get the Kind Bars and Justin's on Amazon Prime.  Africans eat a lot of meat (try the Kudu, it's awesome!) and veggies.  Stay away from sauces.  I don't recommend eating the Mopane tree worms, even though they are gluten-free.  I tried to get out of it, but my tour leader said they were gluten-free and I had to try it as part of the experience....ewwwww!  lol  gluten-free is quite popular in South Africa...they call in the Banting diet.  Maybe they know it up north as well?  I would definitely stay away from chips because you have no idea what else has been in the same fryer oil.  One chicken nugget and you're toast.  I've never had a problem with rice.  Have a great trip...Africa is amazing!

I avoid all chips and deep fried items unless I am absolutely sure they are being made in a gluten-free dedicated fryer. It's not only the ingredients you have to be concerned about, it's the surfaces and such. So if something is fried in oil that previously fried something with gluten, it's contaminated and a no no.