Join eNewsletter
Zoey000

Body odor

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

2 hours ago, Zoey000 said:

Hello everyone ,  

Does anyone have body odor issue when eating food that contains gluten, because the minute I accidentally eat gluten I experience severe body odor and it can last weeks. Iam not sure if it’s related to gluten.

Welcome!  

If you suspect celiac disease, consider getting tested:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

However, celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder.  It takes often days for antibodies to build and for symptoms to develop.  If symptoms are swift, then maybe it is an allergy.   I have not heard of BO as a result of celiac disease, but I have heard of things like garlic that can come off as body odor.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

On 3/1/2018 at 5:58 PM, Zoey000 said:

Hello everyone ,  

Does anyone have body odor issue when eating food that contains gluten, because the minute I accidentally eat gluten I experience severe body odor and it can last weeks. Iam not sure if it’s related to gluten.

I am not a diagnosed celiac, I have been on a gluten free diet since a week ago suggested by dietician. My endoscopy was negative but my IGA blood tests were abnormal. I do experience really bad body odor as well, not sure if it’s related to gluten or not but so far no difference in BO. I’m hoping it is gluten, but I will tell you if I notice it to subside as I further continue a gluten free diet! Do you know what the BO is described as?

On 4/6/2018 at 9:47 AM, V123 said:

I am not a diagnosed celiac, I have been on a gluten free diet since a week ago suggested by dietician. My endoscopy was negative but my IGA blood tests were abnormal. I do experience really bad body odor as well, not sure if it’s related to gluten or not but so far no difference in BO. I’m hoping it is gluten, but I will tell you if I notice it to subside as I further continue a gluten free diet! Do you know what the BO is described as?

Just a suggestion, not an answer, but I have heard that the body's difficulty breaking down certain proteins may contribute to a different sort of body odor. I'm surprised your doctor would not have suggested that (assuming he/she agreed it was a problem).

Plumbago

Diagnosed with Celiac in 2010. Diagnosed with sleep apnea 2018.

11 hours ago, plumbago said:

Just a suggestion, not an answer, but I have heard that the body's difficulty breaking down certain proteins may contribute to a different sort of body odor. I'm surprised your doctor would not have suggested that (assuming he/she agreed it was a problem).

Plumbago

I haven’t said anything to any of them, though they have probably detected it

On 4/6/2018 at 4:47 PM, V123 said:

Hello, sorry for the very late reply I was wondering  does the body odor subside or not ? Because I just started gluten free diet and i hope it can reduce my body odor 

Edited by Zoey000

1 hour ago, Zoey000 said:

Hello, sorry for the very late reply I was wondering  does the body odor subside or not ? Because I just started gluten free diet and i hope it can reduce my body odor 

With BO it normally comes down to digestive issues and  breaking down certain foods that either, ferment, rot, or have chemical compounds that do not get broken down right and lead to the odor. Common culprits can be, gluten, dairy, meat, turmeric. While I do not eat meat often due to pancreas enzyme issues, I do notice a ammonia, sulfur, almost cat urine smell if I eat poultry, or red meat.

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

When I got the sudden bad stomach/digestion flare up last year (before I knew I had gluten sensitivity) I was having bad under arm odor.  It was driving my crazy, and I assumed it was related to my health issues. I was really sick with a fever for a year and a half and so on.  Once I stopped eating gluten, I have noticed the BO has greatly improved.  This past week I accidentally got glutened somehow, my stomach issues are all flared up and I feel horribly sick, and go figure, yes, the BO has returned.  So I do think there is a definite connection for me.  Perhaps for you too. 

On another note, when I take a lot of vitamins, especially iron, I also have a stronger BO, although it's a little different than the sick/glutned BO.  Also when I take a strong B complex, I tend to smell it in my BO a little.  But the worst, strongest smell is when I am sick with gluten.  I also seem to smell my urine more strongly when I am dealing with gluten symptoms.  I can smell the foods I recently ate. It annoys me, but once I heal from the gluten, it gets better.  It is embarrassing to talk about, but it is nice we can share things here on this site. Some symptoms doctors don't even seem to believe or understand, or they act like they never heard that before.  So this message board is so helpful to share with people who actually are experiencing the disease/sensitivity.  It could take you a few months to feel better and notice the BO get better too, but I bet you will notice the smell gets much better, even back to normal. 

I think I can relate. I'm lactose intolerant, but I'm also not dealing well with gluten. I'm going to the doctor next week. I've been eating gluten free for weeks, today I had a really small dose of gluten and all the symptoms came back. Including the body odor! Yesterday I had sushi at night, and I had gluten today at lunch. And it's like my body, my sweat, smells of sushi. Also, this is a bit TMI, but I got all bloated, weird loud stomach noises, gas and farts, all the usual, but my farts smell so badly of sushi. A day after I ate it! It's terrible. And I only ate a small tuna patty with a little bit of flour in the ingredients. Seriously, I smell my skin, and I smell like sushi. It's so weird.