This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pain management

Cindy Lee

Cindy Lee Newbie

So, my 18 year old daughter recently was diagnosed with celiac disease and is now beginning to get educated about all gluten related topics.  However, in the meantime, she is experiencing excruciating pain, cramps, nausea and bowel challenges.  This seems to go on and on around the clock with brief pauses of being okay.  What can she do to relieve severe pain issues while she waits for her new diet to start to have affect?  Her life is not enjoyable at all and she is all-consumed dealing with the pain of it all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tessa25 Rising Star

I'd try soups, stews and cooked zucchini for a couple of weeks to see if that helps settle things down. If you listed a typical days food perhaps some here could help you make slight changes to eliminate irritating foods.

GFinDC Veteran

She can cut out all dairy for a few months to start.  Celiac disease inhibits our ability to digest dairy.  That means eating dairy can cause bloating and gas which can make an already irritated gut hurt.  Dairy may not be a problem after several months of healing though.

Also she should switch to an all whole foods diet with very little sugar and reduced carbs.  Sugar in an irritated gut with poor digestive capabilities causes gas and discomfort.  Carbs are turned to sugar in the gut and do the same thing.

For pain she can try Pepto Bismol which can provide a temporary soothing effect in the gut.  Also peppermint tea can help get the gas out and magnesium may help too.

The simpler her diet is to start with the better.  Even if her food is a little boring it's better than being in pain all night.  So go easy on hot spicy foods too.  An irritated, inflamed gut doesn't need hot sauce in it.

I hope she feels better soon trying some of these tips.  I know celiac pain can be very tough to handle.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I agree with Tessa.  When celiac disease is activated eating ANYTHING can cause pain.  Try sticking to easy-to-digest foods (aka mushy or well-cooked) with little or no seasoning for a week or so and that includes fruit (think applesauce).  

Cindy Lee Newbie

Thank you all.  We appreciate your answers.  Some of the suggestions we have already started.  Just found out that Heinz ketchup is a big no no.

What about toilet paper or paper towels?  Is/should this be an issue?

kareng Grand Master
2 hours ago, Cindy Lee said:

Thank you all.  We appreciate your answers.  Some of the suggestions we have already started.  Just found out that Heinz ketchup is a big no no.

What about toilet paper or paper towels?  Is/should this be an issue?

Heinz ketchup is gluten-free.

Toilet paper does not contain gluten ( except 1 odd “natural” brand that boasts about that).  Even if it had gluten, you would have to eat it for a Celiac reaction

AllergyFreeDiva Rookie

Heinz? Gluten? I gotta check that for myself - i didn't even know that one!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Heinz catsup does not have gluten in it!

pikakegirl Enthusiast

I took levsin when things were the worst however it constipates. Found that a 10 food elimination diet stoped the pain and a food diary showed me all my intollerences which can get better over time. Reflexology of the feet and hands is a gentle and effective pain reliever. Worked for my cramps and nausea. 

• 2 weeks later...
GFinDC Veteran
On 5/7/2018 at 2:58 PM, kareng said:

Heinz ketchup is gluten-free.

Toilet paper does not contain gluten ( except 1 odd “natural” brand that boasts about that).  Even if it had gluten, you would have to eat it for a Celiac reaction

Agree, but not having gluten doesn't mean it can't cause a reaction.  Some of us have developed reactions to non-gluten foods like eggs, tomatoes, corn, nightshades etc.  OP never claimed ketchup has gluten, just that it caused her daughter pain.

Juca Contributor

During my initial recovery period I found that having digestive enzymes with meals (look for ones that also have some acid in it) helped a lot. I keep the ones from Solgar around for any tummy issues. 

I later found peppermint oil to be quite useful. Whenever necessary, I take a capsule 30min before a meal. 

Archived