This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Spring Valley slow release iron NOT GLUTEN FREE

Jessica Prince

Jessica Prince Newbie

I just got off the phone with Walmart (who makes Spring Valley supplements) They confirmed that the 45mg slow release iron tablets DO CONTAIN GLUTEN! Even though it says nothing about it on the label and none of the ingredients seem to indicate it does!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LilyR Rising Star

Thanks for the info.  I will be sure to not ever buy that brand.  

I had looked into gluten-free iron a few times.  When I found out I couldn't eat gluten, I already had a bottle of Feosol iron (the red bottle).

Open Original Shared Link  

So I called them and they put me on hold and then came back and told me just one of the three they make was gluten-free (I think it was the natural release bottle they said was gluten-free, I can't remember).  Well, I had the red bottle, the Original, so I threw it out.  And I couldn't find the one they said was gluten-free in stores around here. All the stores I checked only carry the red bottle.   But my iron seemed okay for a while, so I just stopped taking it.  But now my iron is low again and my dr told me I need to take it for 6 weeks and then she'll test me again.  So I was looking online to order the Feosol one that was suppose to be gluten-free.  While online I noticed that this brand, on the bottles near ingredients, it says, "contains milk."  So I thought it was odd it would list milk as an allergen, but not also add that it contained gluten (since apparently two out of three of the types they make were not mentioned as gluten-free to me).

So I called them back again, was once again told just one of their three supplements was gluten-free.  So I then asked, well then why does it say contains milk on your other bottles, but does not say contains gluten or wheat?  So I was put on hold again, much longer this time, and then they came back and said come to find out, all three of their iron supplements are all gluten-free.  So I've been taking it for a month and I think I'm safe so far.  I do get bloated stomach at times, but I have still been having that even since going gluten-free.  But with gluten I usually get severe stomach pain, the stomach distention really bad, and lose a few pounds.  I have not had that happen at all since taking the Feosol.  So it does seem the Feosol is gluten-free. Open Original Shared Link

What I should do next is call and find out about the CVS equivilant to the Feosol.  It was on sale the day I bought the Feosol and the pharmacist suggested it to me.  I told him I'd have to look into whether it had gluten or not before buying it.  So, that's a project for another day.  What I am learning is sometimes you have to call a place a few times, talk to different people, and see what answer you get. Not just on gluten issues, but any questions you ever have on anything.  I can't tell you the hours and hours I've been on the phone after finding out my daughter has bone impacted wisdom teeth that need to come out.  I've been told so many different things from oral surgeon offices, as well as our medical and dental insurance.  It's crazy.  But is a matter of hundreds of dollars out of our pocket, so it pays to call and call again.  A pain and shouldn't be like that, but sadly it is. 

Jessica Prince Newbie

The target brand slow release iron is gluten free (it says so on the bottle) and only costs $3 for 30. Score!

Sorry to hear about your daughters wisdom teeth. Good luck with that. 

Archived