Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Posterboy

Bacterial Link in Celiac Disease Found

Rate this topic

To All,

Did anybody see this new research...It would be nice to see an article about this new research on Celiac.com soon.  It might explain the older research about how the Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) has been associated with a subsequent Celiac diagnosis and other associated auto-immune diseases. I would be nice to hear everybody insight on this new research. Is this the "Elusive" smoking gun?

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-01-bacterial-link-celiac-disease.html

Posterboy,

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Very interesting and seems to be another piece of the puzzle. However, it doesn't answer the question of why this only happens with certain genotypes. Presumably, those without the Celiac genes would be exposed to the same bacteria but their immune systems would still be able to differentiate between the bacteria and the grain when encountering the same gluten protein fragment. However, it may answer the question of what triggers the expression of the disease and turns it from the latent form to the active form.

Scott,

That is good research the Jamron research I had recently read linked at the bottom of a new thread but I will refresh myself with that information....inflammation is being mentioned more and more these days for disease of all types....I think it is interesting to see the link/connections....I wonder when they will figure out what is triggering celiac disease so it can be cured soon!

Here is the link to the EBV connection and yes MS is linked in their estimation in one of the seven diseases studied as possibly being triggered by a virus...

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-04-epstein-barr-virus-linked-diseases.html

I also found where a Candida infection (inflammation again) has also been studied as a possible trigger for Lupus...

https://lupusnewstoday.com/2016/01/13/new-agents-harness-inflammatory-responses-to-fungal-infection/

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advise.

Posterboy,