This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Does A Typical Day Of Eating Look Like For You All?

BeccaM

BeccaM Rookie

So as a newbie here, I am just learning so much from all of you.

I know what I should be having (I'm a dietitian), but I would love to know what your "typical" menu looks like.

What do you eat in a day?

Thanks

Becca

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
penguin Community Regular

I'm new at this too, but here's what I've been eating today:

(oh, and I don't seem to have a dairy problem)

Breakfast:

Van's gluten-free Waffles w/pure maple syrup & milk

Took to work:

Potato chips (either these or the waffles glutened me, but only mildly <_< _)

Tuna salad (tuna, mayo, sweet relish)

2 ricecakes (to make open faced sanwich with tuna)

2% milk string cheese

Lemon Chiffon yogurt (I like to give good bacteria a home in my war torn digestive tract :lol: )

Sliced apple

PB cookies (I still have these and the apple left)

Having gluten-free chicken parmesan for dinner (yay $6 breadcrumbs :rolleyes: ) to use up leftover marinara from last night

And my guess is that I'll have kozy shack tapioca pudding for dessert or a PB cookie, provided DH hasn't eaten all of them ;)

I take so much food to work because I'm hypoglycemic and terrified of being without food, passing out = no fun. I don't always eat all of my food, and I drink 12-16 glasses of water a day

happygirl Collaborator

If I'm hungry, I'll have bring along fruit in the morning to work, or some cheese.

lunch is often leftovers, or amy's frozen foods, or soup, or lunchmeat roll-ups (safe ham or turkey, with mayo and cheese, or ham/turkey with cream cheese). lots of time, i'll bring rice just to fill me up. I'll bring chips or popcorn. Usually have some chocolate also.

Dinner varies....tacos, enchiladas, spaghetti, soup, baked chicken, ..... many yummy things :)

shellhoo Newbie

Hello- I've had celiac for a long time now. My typical diet for breakfast is fruit, an organic crispy rice bar ( i like peanut butter) and sometimes I eat a homemade muffin or a piece of homemade banana bread. I make and freeze. For lunch, I have tortilla chips and cheese, or a baked potato with cheese. Somtimes, i have a cold plate with ham, cottage cheese and fruit. For snacks, I have lays chips. Dinner is usually meat and veggies or gluten-free pasta with sauce. I make meatballs or meatloaf with gluten-free breadcrumbs. Mac and cheese with gluten-free noodles. I try to make everything I ate before but with gluten-free ingredients. Just some ideas. Good luck.

zip2play Apprentice

I typically have eggs w/ cheese and maybe pork for breakfast. But I am tiring of these, so I need to broaden my selection! (oh sometimes I eat a small cup of cocoa pebbles and milk)

Snack: Trail mix with varied nuts and M&M's.

Lunch: Varries. Today was left over tatertot casserole and grapes.

Dinner: Not sure. Maybe chicken noodle soup and veggies. But I typically have some sort of meat with veggies. Or a large salad with meat and cheese.

Snack: chocolate (too much! :o )

Monica

2tired Apprentice
If I'm hungry, I'll have bring along fruit in the morning to work, or some cheese.

lunch is often leftovers, or amy's frozen foods, or soup, or lunchmeat roll-ups (safe ham or turkey, with mayo and cheese, or ham/turkey with cream cheese). lots of time, i'll bring rice just to fill me up. I'll bring chips or popcorn. Usually have some chocolate also.

Dinner varies....tacos, enchiladas, spaghetti, soup, baked chicken, ..... many yummy things :)

I am 47 and have never learned to cook. Do you think one of you could airmail me some gluten free frozen food? It is really hard finding something to eat when you don't cook.

Lollie Enthusiast

I'm some what new also but here goes:

breakfast: A couple of eggs, a peice of gluten-free toast (either I made in my bread machine or some that's store bought and frozen.

Lunch: Usually I try to make enough dinner the night before to have left overs, but if not I ususally make jasmine rice with cheddar cheese and sour cream (I call it cheesey rice)

Snacks: Usually I have a cookie, chocolate chip is my favorite, we're lucky to have a whole foods and they have a backery full of great gluten-free baked goods! I might have some fruit, or maybe some nut crackers with cream cheese.

Dinner: Tonight we will have lasagna. I make it all scratch with all natural ingrediants and rice pasta. I will have a salad with homemade vinagerette. And dessert will probably be strawberries and cream.

Snack: I might have a rice cake with peanutbutter and bananas or some cream cheese.

I am hypoglycemic too, so I have to eat little snacks all during the day, like cheese.

I hope this helps you!

Oh yeah, I was going to say that I try to cook just as I did before, just using gluten-free ingredients. I was over whelmed at first, but I have learned what works and what doesn't. I love to cook, so I look at it like it's a challenge to do it gluten-free. My whole family eats gluten-free because I'm not going to cook something I can't eat. They get their fair share of gluten rich foods when we go out, or when my husband takes the kids to get pizza when I need a night off and to my self.

Anyway, enough from me!

-Lollie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cgilsing Enthusiast

Once you get used to this diet you find out that you really have a lot of options!

For breakfast I usually have a combination of the following:

fruit w/ coolwhip

yoplait yogurt

home-made toast (good as cinnimon toast too ;) )

kinnickinnick donuts or cinnimon rolls....mmmmm

hashbrowns (most but not all Orida potato products are gluten-free)

juice or coffee (be sure to check with the supplier of either though....some are not gluten-free)

hard-boiled eggs

For lunch I usually have leftovers from dinner the night before, but in a pinch any of these are good:

Progresso Chicken and Rice soup

Thai Kitchen soup

a sandwich made from gluten-free bread (Hormel black label bacon makes a good BLT)

Tinkyada shells with Velvetta cheese

For dinner I think we eat pretty normally. I have found substitutes for most gluten containing cooking ingredients. Here are a few of our favorites:

Pizza made with "Cause Your Special" brand pizza dough mix, Contidina tomato sauce w/ italian spices and Hormel pepperoni.

BBQ chicken (I make my own BBQ sauce) w/ canned peas or green beans

Pan fried fish (dredged in rice flour) with Orida french fries

Hamburgers w/ kinnickinnick buns, potato salad, and jello

Pork Roast with carrots, onions, and potatos (a good crockpot meal)

just to name a few

Here are some good snacks:

Jello pudding snacks

carrot stick or dried fruit

Cool Ranch Doritos (not all flavors are gluten-free, but the Cool Ranch is)

I found that most of the meals I made before going gluten-free were pretty easy to convert to gluten-free. 90% of the time rice flour substitues well for regular flour in cooking. I know a lot of recipes call for cream soups and Progresso makes a gluten-free cream of mushroom soup that is great. gluten-free soy sauce is just as good as the original as far as I'm concerned as well.

I always buy the most simple ingredients I can. For instance, get real sour cream instead of the low-fat kind. They don't mess around with it and it is much more likely to be gluten-free!

A bread maker is a must have! Make bread before hand and then freeze it. Toast it (in a gluten-free toaster) before you eat. I also found that a deep frier was very very good investment! It makes treats like hashbrowns, french fries, and even Chinese food possible!

Good luck! I hope this helped some!

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

My kids are the gluten free ones, but here is a basic day for them

Breakfast

Enviro Kids gluten free cereal bar

Yogurt

Milk

Banana

Lunch

corn tortilla wrap with lunch meat cheese and mayo

Fritos corn chips

Juice

apple slices

Dinner

chicken breast with bbq sauce

corn

garlic mashed potatoes

green beans

ice water or tea

snacks (usually one between lunch and dinner)

rice cake with peanut butter and raisins.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Breakfast: hard boiled eggs and fruit, or fruit with almond/peanut butter. Clif Nectar bars or Alpsnak bars are handy for lazier days. Occasionally I'll eat gluten-free cereal with 365 Organic Rice Milk (my favorites are Perkly's Nutty Rice, Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat Flakes and Erewon Crispy Rice). On weekends pancakes made with Arrowhead Mills gluten-free pancake mix are awesome.

Snacks: Dried mango, Trader Joe's fruit leather, more fruit, dark chocolate, almonds, rice crackers or Mary's Gone Crackers with hummus, trail mix, rice cakes, carrots dipped in hummus or tahini sauce, more veggies, fun stuff like gluten-free cookies or muffins

Lunch: salads with lots of fresh veggies. I usually use my own olive oil/balsamic dressing or something from Annies. Leftovers from dinner the night before. I also like turkey sandwiches made with Corn Thins instead of gluten-free bread. Sunshine Organic Veggie Burgers are good. I'll keep a couple Amy's frozen meals in the freezer for days when I'm in a rush. I also work right near Whole Foods so sometimes I go to their salad bar or taco bar for lunch.

Dinner: I like to make quick vegetarian meals like lentils with brown rice - or black beans with veggies - or rice with beans, avocado and fresh salsa. You can find some great recipes on this site. Baked chicken with veggies is good too. Stir fries. Tinkyada pasta. Soup. Gosh who needs gluten anyway? :P

BeccaM Rookie

This is so interesting for me!

Finally people who eat as much as I do!!!

I am so used to hearing people talk about just picking at salads and cutting out carbs (I live on carbs :P )

My days lately have been like this: (and they definitely need more variety!)

breakfast:

Homemade peanut butter granola (which I just found out on this site I really should avoid-even if the oats are uncontaminated) with soymilk and walnuts

Lunch:

Two or three rice cakes with peanut butter and fruit and a stoneyfield plain yogurt

usually in the afternoon I have some chocolate covered espresso beans! and maybe some more yogurt or fruit or some nuts

Dinner:

Baked potatoes with beans and salad

or brown rice with cheese and salad

Lately I've been making my own corn chips with corn tortillas and making homemade nachos.

Yum!!

If I'm hungry at night I eat fruit or rice cakes with hummus or some nuts.

Can you tell that I love nuts and peanut butter?

I need more variety...

I also drink a cup of coffee every morning. Can't start the day without it!

-Rebecca

gemma Newbie

I've been gluten-free for 2 years now. I'd like to know what brands of things you all are using. I'm getting gluten somewhere and not sure where. Here is my 'menu'.

Brkfst: "Lifestream" gluten-free Buckweat berry waffles (plain) w/orange juice

(I'm Hypogylcemic too, so I have snacks)

Snack: Block of hard cheese with lays chips (Fritos, Cheetos, or Potato Chips) or EnerG gluten-free crackers & V8

Lunch: Large salad with Chavrie goat cheese, avacado, roast beef and cassava pulp (as croutons) by Gluten Free Fortitude. Salad dressings vary and may be my gluten problem. I've been told by Wishbone and and Kraft that wheat is always listed, but I'm not certain they are being forthright. Maybe it's distilled vinegar (?) that is doing it - I know there is some contraversy about that.

Snack: Usually more chips or a banana or EnerG prezels, or Glutino breadsticks.

Supper: Fresh meat/fish and veggies or gluten-free past (Tinkyada) and sauce. Sauce may be a potential gluten source. Usually Glen Meir (sp?) or Francesco Renaldi and some others I've called that say their ingredients are gluten-free (but who knows).

Snack(s): Usually Act II or Orville Redenbacher microwave popcorn and welch's grape juice (or wine ;)) and then some of Pamelas chocolate chunk cookies (they've done something to their recipe - I don't know what - but they are SO AWESOME now! I used to think they tasted like dog food, but they are more sugary now - not that I need that ;))and either goats milk or lactaid.

Hey, if anyone sees a gluten-containing product in there anywhere, let me know. Maybe I'll do a search when I have more time for definate gluten-free dressings and pasta sauces.

It's good to be back on this board again. I've really missed it -been so busy! Used to be "DonnaF" but can't seem to log on so I re-registered.

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor

I'm on a modified elimination diet... been gluten-free for just over a month... here's an example of an average day:

breakfast - rice cake w/ almond butter and an apple or pear

mid-morning snack - chicken thigh w/ carrots and rice crackers

pre-lunch snack - rice bar

lunch - 2 chicken thighs w/ lettuce and salad dressing

afternoon snack - tuna fish w/ lettuce and salad dressing

end of work snack - chicken thigh w/ carrots and rice crackers

dinner - 2 lamb chops w/ spinach or asparagus and sweet potato or rice

post-dinner snack - rice crackers w/ almond butter

I'm hypoglycemic as well.. I'm gonna start taking shakes again because it doesn't seem like I can eat enough on my own..

elonwy Enthusiast

Breakfast : Corn Crunch Ems or Enjoy Life Granola or Grits or scrambled tofu with Veggies and Cheese

Morning snack: Cheese stick or 8oz V8

Lunch: Salad or Amy's or Sushi ( my salads are usually baby greens, feta cheese, nuts, fruit, dressing sometimes leftover meat from the night before)

Afternoon snack: Cheese stick or celery and Laughing Cow cheese or fruit or a Larabar or M&M's

Dinner: Some kind of Protien ( i use the South Beach Diet 30min cookbook its Fab), with a side of rice or veggies or salad.

Movie Snack: Popcorn(snack size) or Cocoa or Ice Cream ( this isn't all the time, maybe 3 times a week)

I'm a big believer in snacks, I'm probably Hypoglycemic ( i get jittery without my snacks) and I just think its better for the body.

And somewhere in there, about once a week, is my Cheeto binge.

Elonwy

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Snack: I might have a rice cake with peanutbutter and bananas or some cream cheese.

I am hypoglycemic too, so I have to eat little snacks all during the day, like cheese.

-Lollie

hi lollie

i think i'm hypoglycemic again too part of my extreme fatigue again.

you lucky dog....you can eat cheese????if i didn't love ya i'd hate ya.

:lol:

my lasagana was sooooo good but made me so sick what's lasgana without the cheese??? :ph34r:

How's Mom doing and does she like your bread?

Judy in Philly

codetalker Contributor

Breakfast: Brown rice and raisins, maybe some toast, Elwood Blues-style (Ener-G Tapioca bread)

Morning snack: Banana

Lunch #1 (11 AM): Homemade soup (lentil or split pea)

Lunch #2 (12:30 PM): 2 Franklin Farms veggie burgers, cut corn

Afternoon snack: Apple / Pear

Just-got-home-from-work snack: Ener-G crackers w/ slice of Land O Lakes cheese and spanish olives

Dinner: Homemade onion soup, poached fish, salad

Dinner (special treat): Pizza made w/ corn tortillas, onion, olives, canned mushroom pieces, mozarella cheese, chopped pieces of ham or Hormel pepperoni slices (all gluten-free, of course).

Try not to eat after 6-7 PM

Nancym Enthusiast

Breakfast: 2 turkey sausages

Lunch: Large mixed greens salad with greek olives, proscuitto and chicken, oil and vinegar

Snack: Left over pork rib and probably a tangerine

Dinner: Brussel sprouts with ghee, pork ribs

Dessert: coconut milk ice cream and strawberries

aikiducky Apprentice

Breakfast: Fruit salad with banana, pear and dates, with coconut cream (yum!). Ricecakes with goats cheese, sliced olives and herbs, nuked so the cheese melts. I eat this every morning and just never seem to get tired of it. And a pot of darjeeling tea. Possibly with cardamom. Yum.

Lunch: A HUGE salad with iceberg, endive, something else green I don't know the name of, carrots (it comes in a bag) plus tuna or smoked salmon or egg or olives or something. I sprinkle olive oil, lemon juice, salt and herbs on for dressing. And tea. I mean, I don't sprinkle tea on the salad, obviously...

Dinner is always stirfry, because I'm lazy so I just dump everything into one pan anyway. Taste varies with which veggies and meat or fish I use. Today was chicken with sweet potato, mushrooms and leek. Yum. And more tea. :)

For snacks, raisins, nuts, dark chocolate. Sometimes gluten free cookies if I happen to pass by the health store, but I don't really miss them, maybe once a month or so.

I only eat really yummy food. :D

Pauliina

Lisa Mentor

Breakfast: eggs, Jimmy Dean Sausage/Oscar Meyer Bacon. OR leftovers from dinner or Amys Indian (Yum)

Lunch: Leftovers, Rice Cake w/PB&J, cottage cheese with pineapple, Peanuts & V-8, trail mix with raisans, peanuts & MM's

Dinner: Baked Chicken w/salt& pepper, roasted carrotts and potatoes, Gravey with cornstarch.

Taco's

Smoked Salmon on the grill, w/ brown rice, asparagy

Steak & B. Potato w/salad

Beef Stew w/Lipton Onion Dry Soup Mix - carrots & pot.

Spiced Shrimp w/Old Bay Seasoning - corn on cob.

Hamburgers w/ bushes baked beans (doctored up)

Chicken Salad - Potato Salad

Merinaded Pea salad (very good) ask and I'll pass it on.

Merinaded Flank Steak - diddo

Ribs of Grill - McKormicks dry rub - Roasted veggies.

See, gluten free need not hinder our taste buds. Enjoy :)

BeccaM Rookie

What just amazes me is that almost everyone here has hypoglycemia!!

Why do you think that is?

I get so shakey and nauseous and wierd-feeling if i don't eat every three-four hours.

It came on just over a year ago- don't know why.

Any insight?

-Becca

jerseyangel Proficient

I don't know if it's connected, but I get that way, too.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Here is a link to some recipes that are very good:

Open Original Shared Link

I eat a lot of those foods for breakfast, lunch, and supper.

fisharefriendsnotfood Apprentice

Breakfast -

Cereal & Milk - the Glutino Gluten-Free Cereal Apple & Cinnamon is good, same with Enjoy Life

Lunch -

Sandwhich/Macaroni/Salad

Dinner -

Anything.

:)

I know I wasn't very helpful but sorry.

-Jackie :)

codetalker Contributor
Breakfast -

Cereal & Milk - the Glutino Gluten-Free Cereal Apple & Cinnamon is good, same with Enjoy Life

Lunch -

Sandwhich/Macaroni/Salad

Dinner -

Anything.

:)

I know I wasn't very helpful but sorry.

-Jackie :)

I know it's off-topic but I have to say I like your board name. If there was any way to get enough protein, my post above would not have mentioned fish. I'd much rather take pictures of them.

WGibs Apprentice

Fun topic! This is fairly typical, although I'll treat myself to sushi for lunch or dinner around once a week.

Breakfast: cream of rice or gluten-free cold cereal with milk; black tea; maybe a banana

morning snack: banana if I didn't eat it at breakfast; raw almonds and raisins

Lunch: big salad of baby spinach with tons of fresh veggies, cheese, beans or chicken; a piece of gluten-free cornbread or some gluten-free crackers

afternoon snack: yogurt, envirokidz bar, or string cheese (sometimes all three if I need it)

Dinner: I have more variety here --

gluten-free pasta with sauce;

baked potato topped with peas and sour cream;

sometimes another big salad;

veggie stir fry with brown rice;

veggie and cheese omelet;

corn tortilla wraps (sometimes lunch meats and cheese with a side of potato chips; sometimes mexican topped with salsa and sour cream)

Dessert: envirokidz vanilla animal cookies or Pamela's ginger cookies or PB M&Ms or Haagen Dazs light ice cream (sometimes more than one of the above!)

By the way, add me to the list of people who have to eat frequently. If I let myself get too hungry, I feel sick for hours, even after eating. I joke that I'm like an infant -- feed me every two hours or I will get cranky and fail to thrive.

Archived