• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

jkmunchkin

Country Choice Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Rate this topic

Ok I don't want to start the great Oat debate again, but would you eat Country Choice Organic Oatmeal Raisin cookies?

I bought them just now and tried calling the company to see if they consider them gluten-free. There are no wheat ingredients, only oat ingredients.

I called and they said they do not consider them gluten free because of the oats. When I told her that oats are "technically" now considered safe she said she knows but some people can not tolerate them. I asked if she knows if people on a gluten free diet eat them and she said judgeing by the questions she gets she assumes that people who can tolerate oats do eat them. What should I do?!!! I have yet to try oats.

There is only one way to know. If you normaly react really bad to gluten...get really sick...I wouldn't try it. I don't have bad reactions like most of you. I get diareha once and gas...thats it so I do try different things to see if I'll react or not.

I say no Jillian... First off, I fall on the 'err-to-be-safe' side of the oats debate still. Not saying one day I won't try them...but not yet. If you ever did make the decision to try oats, I wouldn't start with these cookies...simply b/c they are buying "regular" pure old oats...this company is not making a gluten-free product--so they are not concerned with any gluten contamination in the oats, or checking for it. If you want to experiment and try oats sometime (which I'm not saying you should), I would at least go for a brand that does testing and strives to be "gluten-free." Just my thoughts! :)

I'm thinking I'm not gonna try them. I also err on the side of caution. And I do react badly if accidentally glutened. Not even so much with DH, but I get really intense pains. They do say Wheat Free, so this company is one of the more consciensious (sp?), but I hear what you guys are saying.

I just wanted them so bad. :(

Nope, I wouldn't try them. If I wanted to find out if I was not in the group of 5% of celiac or so who react to oats (with my luck, I am), I wouldn't do it on commercially mass produced oats, but on the specialty produced oats that pay attention to contamination sources in the production and refining process, since oats are easily contaminated with wheat.

Sorry, this is unrelated, but the conversation is like being 15 and getting advice from people about whether or not you should have sex for the first time with Johnny football hero :P

In other news,

I'm terrified of oats. I wouldn't try them if it were me. I think it's a personal decision though, I'd also base it on what your plans are this weekend :blink:

Sorry, this is unrelated, but the conversation is like being 15 and getting advice from people about whether or not you should have sex for the first time with Johnny football hero :P

In other news,

I'm terrified of oats. I wouldn't try them if it were me. I think it's a personal decision though, I'd also base it on what your plans are this weekend :blink:

LOL!!!! Funny you should say that because I was kinda thinking that myself! I mean I'm not one of those people that needs to bring someone along shopping for their opinion, or get everyone and anyones approval before breathing (I have friends like this and it drives me nuts sometimes), but I just really wanted the damn cookie, knew I shouldn't try it but felt like if I could get a consensus to go along with me I wouldn't feel so guilty if I did get sick. I know it was a lame attempt!!

So do you think we should do it? I mean we've been going steady for like 3 months, and he told me he loves me. LOL!!!

So do you think we should do it? I mean we've been going steady for like 3 months, and he told me he loves me. LOL!!!

Absolutely... I mean, he told me he loved me last week and we did it...so you should do it too :) If you don't...he might break up with you!!! :blink:

Guest nini

you guys are too funny!

on the up side of things, Enjoy Life Foods makes an awesome No Oats Oatmeal cookie that I rather like! It's a nice soft chewy cookie. They come in boxes with tiny little cookies or individual packs of larger sized cookies. I really like em... they have currants in them too which makes em tasty!

Jillian--

I know this is a little late, but dont do it!!!! You might get an STD! haha, no seriously, i have had those cookies (back when i was convinced oats were ok) and they were what convinced me that i will never again eat oats-- i saw the "wheat free" and figured i'd be fine- that is one of the sickest ive been in a long time...i wont tell you how good they were (i LOOOOVE oatmeal cookies, or used to) but i will tell you that no matter what they tested like, i will never eat them again - nor do i wish that kind of pain on you! :D

Jillian--

I know this is a little late, but dont do it!!!! You might get an STD! haha, no seriously, i have had those cookies (back when i was convinced oats were ok) and they were what convinced me that i will never again eat oats-- i saw the "wheat free" and figured i'd be fine- that is one of the sickest ive been in a long time...i wont tell you how good they were (i LOOOOVE oatmeal cookies, or used to) but i will tell you that no matter what they tested like, i will never eat them again - nor do i wish that kind of pain on you! :D

Thanks babe!! I didn't eat them. I would never intentionally eat something with gluten in it. I just figured if I could get enough people to give me the go ahead I wouldn't feel bad trying it y'know?! Anywhoo, I made my self a big Namaste chocolate cake with vanilla frosting instead to ease the pain. LOL!!