This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

C'mon Carrots?

chgomom

chgomom Enthusiast

but carrots??

I am eating carrots with the hummus.....could that be doing me in the last day or so?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Before I'd suspect the carrots, I would consider an intolerance to legumes.

tiffjake Enthusiast
Before I'd suspect the carrots, I would consider an intolerance to legumes.

Or, aren't their bean in hummus? Beans make people gassy!

IrishKelly Contributor
but carrots??

I am eating carrots with the hummus.....could that be doing me in the last day or so?

Do your sysmptoms include lots of gas?...then i would go with the beans...that's waht happened to me the other day! Otherwise, maybe it is the legumes.

abc Rookie

Hummus is just mashed garbonzo beans (chick peas) w/ a bit of tahini (sesame seed paste), garlic, lemon juice and sometimes cumin and yogurt. Olive oil is used to make it smoother. But think - lots and lots of beans.

So, as others have noted, it is a bean dip - and thus, probably the culprit.

Kaycee Collaborator

Beans and peas along with lentils and split peas, peanuts and chick peas, as well as soy are legumes. Plus probably many more.

Cathy

RiceGuy Collaborator
but carrots??

The thing is, in neither this thread nor the one about the hummus have you mentioned exactly what the symptoms are. If you can give some specifics, maybe we would be able to help more. Try to remember we've all been there - many if not all still are to varying degrees. I know it can seem embarrassing, so take your time. But do try to give at least some idea of how you are feeling or we won't have any better suggestions for you.

Also it would help to use one thread so we can maintain continuity in the discussion.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chgomom Enthusiast

burping...dizziness....nausea...

tiffjake Enthusiast
burping...dizziness....nausea...

At the risk of sounding like an MD (which I am NOT), how long have you had this? JUST since eating those foods? Or since you did your challenge?

Could you be preggers? What about new Meds? Change in sleeping habit/pattern, workouts, any other diet change????

Different pillow? (Can effect the way you sleep, and the way you digest food through the night, learned that from the GI doc when my acid reflux was bad....)

Think about WHEN this started, and what changed JUST BEFORE that....

chgomom Enthusiast

All since I ate the hummus, and carrots

eKatherine Rookie

Are you used to eating raw vegetables, or is this unusual for you?

chgomom Enthusiast

Well......I usually eat cooked....steamed rather

lorka150 Collaborator

carrots have a high GI - are you perhaps sugar sensitive?

chgomom Enthusiast

You know...>I always thought I have been but "they say" that I have no blood sugar issues because everytime they have checked its been within "normal" range, even at the very bottom end of normal.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Well, if you haven't had issues with carrots up to now, then I think it's less likely to be the cause of your new symptoms (though not entirely impossible). If the sugar in carrots was too much for you, then I would think many other things like corn and just about any fruit would also give you similar problems.

What about the hummus? Is that or the brand new for you?

Help us to help you by being more descriptive, and give as much of a detailed explanation as you can.

chgomom Enthusiast

The hummus was a new brand.....but did'nt even have any oil in it....just some garic and lemon juice...

and yeah...corn I can't eat it...goes...well right though me....along with some might right painful stomach cramps

mommida Enthusiast

My son couldn't tolerate carrots. From the first time he tried them he would vomit them. We tried them again after being on the gluten free diet and he can eat them now. How long have you been gluten free? I can't remember which vitamin defiency can lead to an inability to tolerate carrots, but I did find an article a while back about that.

Keep a food diary.

L.

ebrbetty Rising Star

the last few times i ate carrots i ended up with stomach pain, weird, but i know it was carrots

eating raw veggies is hard on the colon

chgomom Enthusiast

It's so hard though.....

can't just eat meats.....broco gives gas....carrot's apparently are hard on me now...corn forget it....

Any suggestions anyone?

mommida Enthusiast

How about some avacados? They are supposed to be very easy on the stomach and are suggested for a baby's first solids. There was a thread on here a while ago how many of us turned into avacado fanatics.

L

chgomom Enthusiast

Thats an idea,,,,,atleast something with fat...and nutrients.....

You last night....the doc was just shocked at hoe much weight I have lost in 5 or 6 mos...

I have gone from 318 to 252

mommida Enthusiast

Not just fat, it is supposed to be the GOOD kind. ;)

I read about the ER trip. You have got to look into vitamin and mineral defiencies. I'm thinking Potassium levels could be an issue here. Did you start feeling better on the IV? Check all the medications you are taking for interactions (some of those interactions are directly related to causing vitamin and mineral defiencies.)

L.

chgomom Enthusiast

I am on no medications at all.......and I keep begging them to run all my vitamins...but my GP won't and says to wait till my GI appt next month. Last night the ER doc ran B vitamins which aren't back yet but I will call later.

Yeah I felt better on the IV...but really cold which is normal on an IV...

arc Newbie

I can't tolerate legumes anymore, since going gluten free. This includes peanuts. I never had a problem with them before but now get stomach cramps and gas.

jerseyangel Proficient
I can't tolerate legumes anymore, since going gluten free. This includes peanuts. I never had a problem with them before but now get stomach cramps and gas.

I never had any noticeable problems with legumes either, before going gluten-free--and I used to eat a lot of them.

Archived