This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-free Beer By Bud

Guest AlabamaGirl

grantschoep Contributor

My local liquor store owner said his distributer keeps saying "next week" but hasn't gotten it yet. So, still waiting.

Although I did hear some disappointing news, effect is almost opposite of what I thought. Lakefront Brewery is raising the price on New Grist beer, now that there is broader competition. Huh?

The guy at the liquor store, called up Lakefront and ask why the heck are they raising the price? They responded that due to competition they need to raise the price. That's kind of the opposite of what I expected, competition normally lowers the price...

My guess, is they can't produce enough, for the great demand, so they figure they might as well raise the price, if the demand is greater than the supply. That make sense to me, but kind of sucks for me too...

Anyways, I'll be paying 7.99 for a 6 pack now... It used to be just 6.99

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sunshinen Apprentice
You guys have Whole Food up there, right? You may want to call them up and ask...I kinda think they'd have it. My friend owns a restaurant so she said she'll pick me up a case from her distributer...I can't wait!!!

I've called Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Wegman's... none have it. So I wrote headquarters to request it, but so far the responses have been pat answers that don't promise anything.

Edited to add: Just got a response from Wegman's:

Thank you for taking the time to email us regarding the Red Bridge gluten free beer, the good news is we will be carrying this item, but unfortunately, it will not be in until after the New Year.

Hurray! But don't these people realise they'd do better getting it out before the holidays? :)

floridanative Community Regular

Well my Publix bev mgr was told yesterday that they won't have the beer until first of Jan. Didn't call Walmart since I would not go there if the beer was there and free.......maybe I'll have better luck in FL....will post after Chrimstas. Whole Foods also said next week.........

Happy Holidays everyone!

ebrbetty Rising Star

woohoo...hubby just surprised me with a case of buds redbridge gluten-free beer..yummy!!!!

jaten Enthusiast

Y'all try what someone suggested earlier. Call 1.800.DIALBUD and find out who your distributor is. Then call the distributor to find out where in your area it will be.

That's what I did. Should be in my WalMart today!.... :unsure: guess I'll go fight the WM crowd at some point this evening.

jaten Enthusiast
They actually have it in our little burg in the wilds of far NE Washington state. I bought a bottle the other night to have with my low carb, gluten-free pizza. I have never been much of a beer drinker (it always hurt my stomach, for some reason :rolleyes: ) but I thought it was good. My wife tried it and said that it was actually something she would drink. I almost feel like I should buy it just to help it be successful.

It's funny - the main reason I tried it was because I could, not because I wanted beer. Weird, huh?

Yep, that's me!

I did find it in our WalMart yesterday and had one with my Kinnikinnick pizza last night. I thought it was good....tasted like beer, and dh confirmed. I, too, felt the need to buy more than a six-pack (to help the success in this area). I didn't. I bought 1 6-pk, and that will last me awhile.

lovegrov Collaborator

In Roanoke, Va., I found it at Kroger yesterday. It's been five years since I've had a "regular" beer, but to me this tastes a whole lot like what I remember from a Sam Adams or something similar.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mroper Rookie

I stopped at Total Wines and More on Friday, had to wait for one of the employees to go into the back to get it.....they didn't even know they had it in until I told them that the distributer had delivered it that morning. WOW, it has been a long time since I had a nice cold beer! My husband even thought it tasted good sort of like Killians. VERY YUMMY!!!

par18 Apprentice

Finally got hold of the Redbridge last weekend during a visit to Cary,NC. As a matter of fact the Whole Foods had a display with all three beers (Bard's Tale, New Grist and Redbridge) together. There were also three different prices. Bard's was $11.49 a six , New Grist was $9.99 a six and Redbridge was $7.99 a six. That said I bought the Redbridge only as I already had some New Grist and the Bard's was just too expensve. The Redbridge was a nice complement to the lighter tasting New Grist. I can drink and enjoy either one. I will see how the price settles and will probably drink either of the last two for now. I refuse to pay almost $2.00 a bottle for anything. Will be interested in seeing how lthe prices respond to the new kid on the block. Cheers!

Tom

Guhlia Rising Star
Finally got hold of the Redbridge last weekend during a visit to Cary,NC. As a matter of fact the Whole Foods had a display with all three beers (Bard's Tale, New Grist and Redbridge) together. There were also three different prices. Bard's was $11.49 a six , New Grist was $9.99 a six and Redbridge was $7.99 a six. That said I bought the Redbridge only as I already had some New Grist and the Bard's was just too expensve. The Redbridge was a nice complement to the lighter tasting New Grist. I can drink and enjoy either one. I will see how the price settles and will probably drink either of the last two for now. I refuse to pay almost $2.00 a bottle for anything. Will be interested in seeing how lthe prices respond to the new kid on the block. Cheers!

Tom

Tom, so glad you finally got to try the Red Bridge!!! Glad you liked it... :)

Mountaineer Josh Apprentice
My uncle works for Budweiser, and he told me a few months ago that Bud was coming out with a gluten/wheat free beer. He brought me a sample yesterday and I just drank it tonight. It's pretty dang good, but that may just be because I haven't had a beer in years. I'm waiting for some kind of reaction, but so far so good! (Gluten hits me usually within the hour.) Anyway, it still contains hops, and my husband thought this was a grain??? Does anyone know what hops is? I assume it doesn't contain gluten, but I can't eat many grains, even gluten-free ones like rice and buckwheat.

Anyway, if anyone likes beer and has been missing it like me, I think it's supposed to be in stores next week. It's called Redbridge, and it's made from sorghum. It's pretty stout, if you like your beers dark like I do.

I think the beer is fantastic and I've only had this stupid disease for about a year. I drank a six pack on Saturday night and enjoyed every drop. I have been drinking Bard's Tale, which is excellent. However, the Redbridge has a cleaner finish and doesn't have the sweetness that Bard's has. Apparently that is inherent to the sorghum grain, sweetness. Redbridge is cut with some corn, so maybe that helps. Both are more hoppy than your normal lager. I'm guessing that adds taste to the beer that sorghum cannot. I didn't think it was that dark, but definitely hoppy. Hops are gluten free.

WayneB Rookie

:angry::angry:

Hi,

Just bought a six-pack of Redbridge from Wild Oats in Portland, ME. At $8.29 per pack, it is still expensive beer, not much cheaper than Bard's. It taste better than Bard's IMO. Bard's has too much of a "syrup" taste for me. I hope all the gluten-free beer suppliers will start to force the prices down.

Wayne

Turtle Enthusiast

Tom

I'm not sure if i'm more jealous you got the beer or that you were in NC! HAHA! Glad you got your hands on some Redbridge and hope you kept a few for the bowl game on Sat, GO DAWGS!!!

I'm still searching for Redbridge...I struck out in Atlanta over Christmas but i'll be heading to Charlotte in Jan, maybe I can land some there. Keep you posted!

tarnalberry Community Regular

I saw Redbridge at Whole Foods yesterday.

Sterndogg Apprentice

If anyone lives in Boston proper Redbridge is here! I found it at Hanover Street Liquors in the North End (2 blocks away from home) and the store manager was fully aware of gluten-intolerance/celiac disease - which surprised me to say the least! I didn't even see it stocked as I was asking about Bard's (which they also carry) but was extremely happy that such a small store would permanently add it to their shelf set. It was a bit pricey ($8.99) but out of all the gluten-free beers on the market I feel that Redbridge tastes the best. It is a bit lighter than Bard's (which I also enjoy) but heavier than New Grist (again, a solid brew). It's quite hoppy but it doesn't have a sweet aftertaste. Extremely drinkable and as a former beer drinker I am VERY VERY pleased with this AB product!! Additionally distribution will not be a problem and I hope prices will start to decrease on the others. Unfortunately, New Grist is still not available as far as I know in New England. Ironically, I picked up a six-pack of Bard's today as well (different liquor store) for $8.99 but I think it was incorrectly scanned - it's usually $12.00. Now it just needs to be added to Bars!!!

Cheers!

Adam

Guest AlabamaGirl
Y'all try what someone suggested earlier. Call 1.800.DIALBUD and find out who your distributor is. Then call the distributor to find out where in your area it will be.

I had to do this as well. Bud told me that they (legally) have to go through a third party to sell (i.e. Bud -> distributor -> stores). Anyway, I called the dialbud number, then they gave the number for my local distribution office. They said that they have Redbridge in stock, but are waiting approval from area stores. He said that if I go to my local store and request it (which I've already done) then they have a greater chance of getting approval. Hmmm. The closest place that currently has it is 75 miles away, but my distributor said that he should be stocking it in this area in about a week. Hmmmm, looks like I've got a little bit more wait. So be patient! It may pop up on your shelves yet!

BostonCeliac Apprentice
If anyone lives in Boston proper Redbridge is here! I found it at Hanover Street Liquors in the North End (2 blocks away from home) and the store manager was fully aware of gluten-intolerance/celiac disease - which surprised me to say the least! I didn't even see it stocked as I was asking about Bard's (which they also carry) but was extremely happy that such a small store would permanently add it to their shelf set. It was a bit pricey ($8.99) but out of all the gluten-free beers on the market I feel that Redbridge tastes the best. It is a bit lighter than Bard's (which I also enjoy) but heavier than New Grist (again, a solid brew). It's quite hoppy but it doesn't have a sweet aftertaste. Extremely drinkable and as a former beer drinker I am VERY VERY pleased with this AB product!! Additionally distribution will not be a problem and I hope prices will start to decrease on the others. Unfortunately, New Grist is still not available as far as I know in New England. Ironically, I picked up a six-pack of Bard's today as well (different liquor store) for $8.99 but I think it was incorrectly scanned - it's usually $12.00. Now it just needs to be added to Bars!!!

Cheers!

Adam

Adam - Thanks so much for the info! I work right near Hanover St actually -- will be heading over there to stock up! You mentioned to me & thought everyone should know that the Retail Locator is working on the site! Go get some!

I really like the taste of this because I used to LOVE Pale Ale's and this tastes just like Sierra Nevada (well, close enough). Looks like they're really getting it out there too, it's in a lot of locations in the Boston/Brookline Area...

And I totally agree - we need to get it in the bars now! That would be awesome!! I plan on asking my local bar every time I go in.

Okay - for any of you in the Gwinnett area of Atlanta, the Publix at the corner of S'loaf and FFT rd. got the beer in today. The manager actually called me as promised so I went after lunch and got a 6-pk. for $7.49 which I personally thought was a good deal as I paid $10 for Bard's Tale. Anyway, it's a bit early to start drinking so I'll try it tonight with my lasagne. I really like Bard's Tale so I think this will be just fine.

BYW, next to the Redbridge at Publix were two brands of English cider which appear to be gluten free based on the ingredients listed. Does anyone know what is it, if it's good and of course if it is indeed gluten free?

The poster above has good idea. If you want to order a beer when out, make sure and ask for it everywhere you go. Eventually it'll creep in some place you frequent.

Sterndogg Apprentice

BostonCeliac, I am a fan of Redbridge and back in my former life Sierra Nevada was one of my top 5!!

floridanative, Strongbow from the UK is very good especially on draft. It also comes in true pint cans and glass bottles. The other one could be Magners but it is from Ireland - also gluten free and delicious as well. Just don't drink too many in one sitting because the next morning your head will be pounding from all the sugars!!

BostonCeliac Apprentice
BostonCeliac, I am a fan of Redbridge and back in my former life Sierra Nevada was one of my top 5!!

floridanative, Strongbow from the UK is very good especially on draft. It also comes in true pint cans and glass bottles. The other one could be Magners but it is from Ireland - also gluten free and delicious as well. Just don't drink too many in one sitting because the next morning your head will be pounding from all the sugars!!

Haha - Sterndogg, SO true about the Magners. Was in Manhattan last week and I was just psyched to drink something from the tap in a pint glass. Had 2 Magners, and was not happy about it later!

Never had Strongbow - will look out for it, but will be partial to the Redbridge now.

Strongbow was one but I forgot the other. Maybe I'll try one when it gets hot.....that's when I like beer. I'm only having one tonight because it's here. It's not really cold today so that's good. I'll probably let it sit out and warm up before drinking. I think the Europeans drink their beer the right way. Here it's too cold for me.

Have a great weekend everyone - with or without a gluten free brewsky!

par18 Apprentice

Found Redbridge in two locations today. One of these Kroger had it for $6.99 a six (great price!). The other was a speciality beverage store about 2 miles away and the price there was $8.99 a six! Needless to say if this continues I don't think the speciality store will be selling very much. I don't know how some of these retailers come up with their price as all get it from the same distributor for I think the same cost. It will be interesting to see how the prices change when the distribution settles down and plenty is available. I know a lot of the retailers don't understand the product or Celiac Disease. This probably has something to do with the vast difference in price here.

Tom

grantschoep Contributor

They were selling it here, in Louisville, CO for 6.99 a six pack. And had New Grist for 6.39. They offer case discounts.

Thought I did talk to the store owner, sounds like the brewers of both places are raising the prices. Though... it did feel really really.... really cool. to be able two buy two different kinds of beer for myself! The clerk even said "look at you with 2 gluten free beers" (they know me... I bother them. The owner is celiac too)

I was rather dissapointed with the Redbridge. Tasted like Budweiser. Though. I traditionally have been more of a fan of a beer you can't see through. I miss a good porter

Guest AlabamaGirl

I suppose I am in the dark because I thought there was no such thing as gluten-free beer in the U.S. before Redbridge. I'm a newbie to gluten-free living. Can anyone provide a listing of known gluten-free beers so I can be on the lookout ... or has someone already posted a list somewhere? I'd love to work my way through the list. ha!

Guhlia Rising Star
I suppose I am in the dark because I thought there was no such thing as gluten-free beer in the U.S. before Redbridge. I'm a newbie to gluten-free living. Can anyone provide a listing of known gluten-free beers so I can be on the lookout ... or has someone already posted a list somewhere? I'd love to work my way through the list. ha!

Bard's Tale makes Dragon's Gold

Lakefront Brewery makes New Grist

Ramapo Valley makes Honey Lager (don't know the exact name, but it gets bad reviews)

Anhuiser-Busch makes Red Bridge

I think those are the standard ones. I know there are a few others, but I don't know what they're called.

Archived