Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest KG in FL

Opinion On Joan's gluten-free Great Bakes

Guest KG in FL

I just finished my first order of Joan's gluten-free Great Bakes bagels and english muffins. They are my FAVORITE gluten-free bread products. I tried most other brands and made my own as well. Has anyone tried the other products like cookies and bread/muffin batters? The only problem is the shipping cost but I have saved a FORTUNE in the last couple years by not eating out! I've tried to look at it that way! Joan e-mailed that she is on vacation until March 5th so my last order has been held up and I am surprised I really MISS my bagels and muffins! Does anyone else really like these?

www.gfgreatbakes.com

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Joan's bagels!!! LOVE!

Although I'm gonna cry because I just ate my last sesame bagel last night (with tuna - yum); and was gonna order more today. Joan, come back from vacation!!!

I have a pumpkin bread mix from her but haven't tried it yet. I'll let you know when I do.

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

Guest KG in FL
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Joan's bagels!!! LOVE!

Although I'm gonna cry because I just ate my last sesame bagel last night (with tuna - yum); and was gonna order more today. Joan, come back from vacation!!!

I have a pumpkin bread mix from her but haven't tried it yet. I'll let you know when I do.

Thanks- I am thinking all her products will be excellent. The bagels I love because you get to bake them, almost like from scratch and they are really chewy! The english muffins are almost exactly identical to "real" ones. I was excited to find these items that are "safe"! I wish she would make a bread dough and pizza dough, I bet they would be chewy too! I have tried to make bread and things myself as I see there are some excellent recipes from this web site, but my own versions have not come out that good yet. And nothing I've had is similar to Joan's. Also, sometimes you just need something quick and available from your freezer, that tempts you.

I put my last order in Feb. 19th so that I could have more by that Wednesday or Thursday. I was sad she is on vacation and still dreaming of my next shipment! I think she's doing something right, I'm glad you agree!!

who is Joan & how do I get in touch with her?

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Guest KG in FL

I got my bagels, muffin and the date nut bread. They are all excellent!! Did you get yours broncobux? I am going in for some surgery and am really happy knowing I have a stash safely in my freezer as my husband will have to cook for me for a couple weeks! Oh, and Joan has said she is going to sell a chewy ready made pizza dough and bread dough soon on her web site! I can't wait. I love knowing I don't always have to make things from scratch, sometimes I'm too busy or sickly. Plus Joan's tastes WAY better! If anyone else tries Joan's, I'd love to hear how you like it.

http://www.gfgreatbakes.com

Does anyone know the nutritional information on the plain bagels? Such as the calories and fat content? For that matter, can anyone tell me how gluten free baked goods stack up against their "regular" conterparts? I noticed that most of the gluten free baked goods I've found (like bread and bagels) don't have any nutritional information listed on their labels.

Thanks for any help.

Beth

Gluten free since January 2007.

For the record,

I just tried Joan's gluten free english muffins.

These might be the closest bread product to the real stuff that I have ever had.

I toasted them lightly and made my own version of the sausage mcmuffin (with McD's sausage and my cheese and egg).

It felt and tasted the same...

Yes, Virginia, I will order the muffins again...and again!

Chris

For the record,

I just tried Joan's gluten free english muffins.

These might be the closest bread product to the real stuff that I have ever had.

I toasted them lightly and made my own version of the sausage mcmuffin (with McD's sausage and my cheese and egg).

It felt and tasted the same...

Yes, Virginia, I will order the muffins again...and again!

Chris

Hi Chris,I have been saying that for months!!! They taste real,just like her bagels .I just met Joan at a support group meeting in NJ.She is a real sweetie and very proud of her products. She is going to make graham crackers and pizza I think. I cant wait.I make English muffin pizza now but a really good pizza is something I have been missing.We have something to look forward to. Bye for now

Hi Chris,I have been saying that for months!!! They taste real,just like her bagels .I just met Joan at a support group meeting in NJ.She is a real sweetie and very proud of her products. She is going to make graham crackers and pizza I think. I cant wait.I make English muffin pizza now but a really good pizza is something I have been missing.We have something to look forward to. Bye for now

Harriedlate,

If you ever get the chance to go to Phoenix or Sedona, Arizona, you will find that wonderful pizza - its called Picazzo's and its delicious!!!

:).

I've eaten a lot of breads, bagels and muffins prior to Joan's, but even I wasn't ready for the sheer quality of her english muffins (I had another breakfast sandwich this morning).

The price is the only obstacle, but I will likely tough it out...

BB

www.picazzos.com

I told you her bagels and english muffins are incredible! I wasn't kidding around when I posted about her last year ;)

Jillian

Inflamed stomach lining

Tarrytown, NY

Harriedlate,

If you ever get the chance to go to Phoenix or Sedona, Arizona, you will find that wonderful pizza - its called Picazzo's and its delicious!!!

:).

I've eaten a lot of breads, bagels and muffins prior to Joan's, but even I wasn't ready for the sheer quality of her english muffins (I had another breakfast sandwich this morning).

The price is the only obstacle, but I will likely tough it out...

BB

www.picazzos.com

Broncobux I would rather pay a little more for something delicious to eat than but something that I have to throw away . That gets petty costly ,throwing out food that does not taste good. We have all done that !

Guest KG in FL
Broncobux I would rather pay a little more for something delicious to eat than but something that I have to throw away . That gets petty costly ,throwing out food that does not taste good. We have all done that !

I am so happy it wasn't just me that thought Joan's products were so great! And I did only learn of her through this message board so I am thankful to this board for that. I had forgotten about english muffin pizza- now I know what lunch will be! Joan e-mailed me she is about to introduce a pizza dough and bread dough soon. So keep checking her web site those who are interested.

this is re: the calorie content--

i don't know about joan's, but, in general (unfortunately), gluten-free versions of "normal" stuff tends to be more caloric.

this is re: the calorie content--

i don't know about joan's, but, in general (unfortunately), gluten-free versions of "normal" stuff tends to be more caloric.

Hi Pinky,

I am not only celiac,but diabetic ,and have contacted Joan on two occaisions to find out the calories and carbs. The English Muffins are 200 cal ,almost identical to "real" ones and the bagels have about 270 cal. They are low in sugars and fats and I can work them into my diet.They are not more anything then the real ones.

I am very excited to try the bagels (after Passover of course!) I haven't had a decent gluten-free bagel. The Enjoy Life ones are awful and don't deserve to even be called "bagels".

For anyone who is interested, and lives in the area, Joans will be at the celiac fair in NY coming up! I am not ordering anything online, I hope she will be selling it there and I can just bring it home without paying a shipping charge.. some vendors will be selling, others I am not sure, but her name was on the vendor list last time I looked!

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

Joan for President! Her bagels are incredible!!!

She is so nice too - she sent me the nutritional info very quickly when I asked her for it. For bagels:

Calories 270

Total fat 4gms

Sat fat 0.5

Trans fat 0

Cholest 0 mg

Sodium 460 mg

Totals Carbs 53 gms

Fiber 2gms

Sugars 2gms

Protein 5gms

Enjoy!!!

Daughter, Camryn diagnosed with diabetes 3/06

diagnosed with celiac (blood test and biosy confirmed) 5/06

For anyone who is interested, and lives in the area, Joans will be at the celiac fair in NY coming up! I am not ordering anything online, I hope she will be selling it there and I can just bring it home without paying a shipping charge.. some vendors will be selling, others I am not sure, but her name was on the vendor list last time I looked!

She will be selling. Last years vendor fair is where I 1st tried her bagels. It was a love affair at first bite ;)

Jillian

Inflamed stomach lining

Tarrytown, NY

I just checked out the website, and gosh, everything looks amazing! But the prices--holy cat, $12 for 6 English muffins even before shipping charges? And I looked at the ingredients, and there's nothing expensive there--just cornstarch (89 cents a pound), tapioca (69 cents a pound), rice flour (69 cents a pound), and corn meal (79 cents for 12 ounces). Just like the English muffin recipes in my gluten-free cookbooks!

I'm willing to pay a premium for convenience, but not 20 times what it would cost me to make it myself. I simply can't afford it. :(

She will be selling. Last years vendor fair is where I 1st tried her bagels. It was a love affair at first bite ;)

wooohooo!!! thanks.. I cant wait.

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

I just checked out the website, and gosh, everything looks amazing! But the prices--holy cat, $12 for 6 English muffins even before shipping charges? And I looked at the ingredients, and there's nothing expensive there--just cornstarch (89 cents a pound), tapioca (69 cents a pound), rice flour (69 cents a pound), and corn meal (79 cents for 12 ounces). Just like the English muffin recipes in my gluten-free cookbooks!

I'm willing to pay a premium for convenience, but not 20 times what it would cost me to make it myself. I simply can't afford it. :(

If you have bought all the other English Muffins like I have ,and then tasted Joan's you would know that there is something very different about them.The taste,texture appearance are so superior maybe the way they make them is very different. All I know is I threw the others out because they crumble and taste awful.These taste like really good food.