Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dandelion

Easter Dinner

I got a free ham from Omaha Steaks that I wanted to make as part of Easter dinner but I am not sure if it's gluten free and would appreciate any advice. The ham was cured with: Water, Salt, Brown Sugar, Cane Sugar, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Erythorbate, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Sodium Nitrite, Dextrose. Is this ok? My second question is - does anyone know of a gluten free graham cracker pie crust? I always make one of those jello pies for Easter, but don't know what to do this year.

Thanks for any help you can give me. :)

Beth

Gluten free since January 2007.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The ingredients in the ham sound fine. Just sugar and preservatives. I am new to gluten-free cooking, but for graham cracker crusts I plan to make gluten-free graham crackers and smash them. Sounds like a lot a work, so I'll probably make lots and store the crumbs in an air tight container. There's a recipe in one of my cookbooks, but I haven't tried it yet. If you try it, please let me know how it turns out!

3/4 cup margarine or butter

1/4 cup honey

1 cup brown sugar

1 tsp xanthan gum

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp ground cinnamon

2 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup light bean flour (Garfava, full fat soy, or garbanzo)

1 cup tapioca flour

1 cup potato starch flour

1/4 cup sugar (optional)

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)

In a large bowl beat together margarine/butter, honey, and brown sugar. Add xanthan gum, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, and vanilla. Beat to combine.

Add the flours, 1/2 cup at a time, beating after each addition. If dough gets to tough, add water 1 tsp at a time, until dough is creamy, yet managable.

Lightly oil cookie sheet. Scoop dough 1 tsp at a time onto the cookie sheet and spread until it is 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick.

Combine optional cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle on crackers, if desired.

Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 min. Immediately remove crackers to a cooling rack to prevent them from breaking.

(Makes 90 2-inch crackers.)

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

I just emailed Omaha today actually and the hams are gluten and casein free.

Amy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

Thanks Jenny! Homemade graham crackers sound like they would be so much better than store bought ones (and make a better crust!).

Beth

Gluten free since January 2007.

Most hams are ok, with the exception of Honey Baked :angry: Also, I've seen graham cracker crumbs available at Knickiknick.

Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05

Negative Bloodwork ~

Dr. encourages me to trust my

"Gut Reaction"

Does anyone know if the morton's of omaha tri tip marinated steak form cosco is gluten free? It has hydolized soy protein in it...is that good or bad??

Thanks,

Emma4

Hydrolyzed protein is a concern if the source is not given. In this case, the source is clearly stated as soy, so it is gluten-free.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I make a crumb crust using my old recipe and gluten-free ginger snap crumbs (I like Midel) made in the food processor. It will look too soft when it comes out of the oven, but it will solidify as it cools.

I have used it to raves (no one knes it was gluten free) with key lime pie, lemonade pie and banana pudding.

Most hams are ok, with the exception of Honey Baked :angry: Also, I've seen graham cracker crumbs available at Knickiknick.

http://www.honeybaked.com/

Honeybaked Ham: The following is the emailed response from the "Ask the Expert" on the Honeybaked website about the gluten-free status of their hams at their stores as well as mail order:

"Yes all of our hams are now gluten free. We changed the ingredients on the glaze."

The Honey Baked Ham Company, www.shophoneybaked.com, 800-854-5995 3/16

Honey Baked Ham's Glaze was formerly not gluten free. I am happy to say, as of a couple years ago, it is now Gluten Free.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    AshokPrajapat
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics