This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten In Smarties/who Woulda Thought?

dally099

dally099 Contributor

so i went to DQ yesterday thought i would have a blizzard, ordered smarties even though they have the kitkat blizzard on right now and that one looked soooo much better, normally i would order the blizzard as a banana split flavor, so just fruit in it, however was dying for some chocolate thought smarties was a good alternative, not! so i had gas and some cramping, and then had to go to the bathroom a few times, and i allways know from that "smell" that its not good, plus my hands are itching like crazy this morning, thought that maybe its dairy starting to bother me now, so i double checked the internet for gluten free at DQ and wouldnt you know it i got on the site for the company that makes smarties and there is gluten in them. thought i would see if others know of this, i would hate for a kids to sick thinking they were safe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I am confused, Smarties as in the Candy smarties?

confused Community Regular
I am confused, Smarties as in the Candy smarties?

i was a litlte confused to so i looked up smarties in canada. They look like little m and m's. I was thinking she had an bliazzard here with smarties and i was thinking that didnt sound good. But after seeing the smarties in canada that did look good.

paula

who misses DQ and ice cream blizzards

Michi8 Contributor

Smarties are like M & Ms, but they taste a bit different. Wheat is clearly labelled in the ingredients.

When it comes to eating at DQ, however, I consider them one of the riskiest places to eat for any allergies. They do not clean the Blizzard machine well enough between orders to ensure all traces of gluten are gone. Same goes for nut allergies.

Michelle

CarlaB Enthusiast

Smarties in Canada are chocolate candy and NOT gluten-free.

Smarties in the US are a fruit candy, would be nasty in a Blizzard :lol: , and ARE gluten-free.

dally099 Contributor
Smarties in Canada are chocolate candy and NOT gluten-free.

Smarties in the US are a fruit candy, would be nasty in a Blizzard :lol: , and ARE gluten-free.

oh my gosh, im sorry i never thought you have something different down south, anyways im still new to this so im learning, im learning that eating out is a nightmare, wendy's is supposed to be good, their chili and potatoes are supposed to be gluten-free anyone have experience with them? yes smarties are like a candy coated chocolate, im having stinky BM's today that are that lovely pale color so i know that something yesterday didnt agree with me! im learning to pack lunches when we have to go out of town. we are going on a conference in a week and the hotel is making sure their is a fridge in my room and we got some coolers so i can bring stuff to eat, as they will be serving muffins, soup and sandwhiches and they are doing a dinner but we are not sure what theyr are serving so im going to make a dinner at home and bring it, the catering service at the hotel said they would heat it up for me so thats nice.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Awww. Thanks guys for clearing that up. I was sitting thinking, American Smarties would be turned to pretty much dust in a blizzard. You never know though, there are some strange combinations out there. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HannahHannah Apprentice

Smarties in the UK have wheat in them. This made me sad as I *love* smarties.

...today I discovered Whizzers! Virtually the same as Smarties and gluten (and dairy) free!! Hurrah!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Nadine,

It is imperative that you be vigilant when you eat at Wendy's!

You can have the chili - I actually order it with cheese all the time.

The fries are a trickyt matter. The actual french fries are gluten free, but the oil and the "fry-scooper" near the heating lamp (where the keep the fries warm after the oil) may not be safe as there are cross-contamination concerns.

The next time you go to Wendy's, grab a manager (I don't care how busy it is) and ask him:

1. If they have dedicated fryers (i.e. only the fries are fried in them)

2. Does the fry-scooper in the lampo area only touch fries or does it also touch the chicken nuggets and/or the tongs that touch the nuggets (more often than not, the scooper and the "nugget-tongs" lie next to or on each other).

If they do, then avoid the french fries and order a baked potato.

Also, do not order you burgers at Wendy's with condomints - they apply the condmints there with a ladle-like tool that touches the buns on previous burgers before it touches yours.

BB

dally099 Contributor
Nadine,

It is imperative that you be vigilant when you eat at Wendy's!

You can have the chili - I actually order it with cheese all the time.

The fries are a trickyt matter. The actual french fries are gluten free, but the oil and the "fry-scooper" near the heating lamp (where the keep the fries warm after the oil) may not be safe as there are cross-contamination concerns.

The next time you go to Wendy's, grab a manager (I don't care how busy it is) and ask him:

1. If they have dedicated fryers (i.e. only the fries are fried in them)

2. Does the fry-scooper in the lampo area only touch fries or does it also touch the chicken nuggets and/or the tongs that touch the nuggets (more often than not, the scooper and the "nugget-tongs" lie next to or on each other).

If they do, then avoid the french fries and order a baked potato.

Also, do not order you burgers at Wendy's with condomints - they apply the condmints there with a ladle-like tool that touches the buns on previous burgers before it touches yours.

BB

oh im soooo avoiding ff's after the last time i had them at mcdonalds and got sick (they are not gluten free looked on the website) the only place i will eat fries now is New York Fries, cause its all they make there and they use sunflower oil for frying no additives. never thought about condiments though. will stick with the baked potatoe.

Michi8 Contributor
oh im soooo avoiding ff's after the last time i had them at mcdonalds and got sick (they are not gluten free looked on the website) the only place i will eat fries now is New York Fries, cause its all they make there and they use sunflower oil for frying no additives. never thought about condiments though. will stick with the baked potatoe.

There is ongoing controvesy about McDs fries. The fries served in Canada supposedly do not have gluten ingredients, but there is always the risk of CC. Open Original Shared Link

I was really pleased with New York Fries. They had an ingredients list I could check out, and were familiar with celiac...apparently they have a number of celiac customers. What pleased me the most was that their cheese sauce and gravy are gluten free too...I can have poutine there! Yum!

Michelle

nikki-uk Enthusiast
Smarties in the UK have wheat in them. This made me sad as I *love* smarties.

...today I discovered Whizzers! Virtually the same as Smarties and gluten (and dairy) free!! Hurrah!

Hi Hannah,

I'm in London (East)

My hubby & son have celiac disease

Whizzers are ok- but they don't have the orange ones like Smarties (alas) <_< but hey, there is always M&M's to keep my guys happy ;)

pnltbox27 Contributor

i used to live in canada when i was a kid.. i miss smarties. i kinda forgot about them until reading this. also when having a blizzard it DQ you have to be concerned about cross contamination because the use the same mixer with all the blizzards. having said that i just had one with m&m last night with no problems..also does anyone know if the peanut buster parfait is gluten-free???

Kyalesyin Apprentice

I wish we'd known about the smarties thing sooner- we fell foul of that one while we were on holiday in Toronto.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I have been okay at Wendy's...but I also took the time to ask at the one we go to all the time. Thier fryers ARE dedicated. The products that are used for the fries ONLY touch the fries. So at my wendy's I can order an Bunless Ultimate Grill, hold the sauce. USUALLY I get a side salad or Baked potatoe. But once in a while, if it's not crowded and such, I'll order the fries. I would ONLY do it at my Wendy's because I've talked to the manager there.

mamatide Enthusiast
Awww. Thanks guys for clearing that up. I was sitting thinking, American Smarties would be turned to pretty much dust in a blizzard. You never know though, there are some strange combinations out there. :)

For the record, US Smarties are like Canada's Rockets....

Canada's Smarties are like US M&Ms

Canadian M&Ms are the same as US M&Ms

LOL at the thought of Rockets in a blizzard!

Archived