This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Toothpaste..........

whattodo

whattodo Enthusiast

i use colgate toothpaste and have noticed a couple of posts refering to avoiding certain types. I suppose the question is, how do i know if it has gluten in if it doesnt state anything on the packaging?

Do things with gluten in have to state that they have gluten in them?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

spunky Contributor

I've had the same questions about toothpaste.

Finally, I got onto Tom's of Maine "natural" toothpaste website and saw that almost all of their products were gluten free, so we began to buy the ONLY Tom's toothpaste sold in our regular grocery store.

Before that, I was so confused I was just brushing my teeth with baking soda.

I'd like to see a safe list of toothpastes, if one exists. Can't make heads or tails out of reading the tubes.

spunky Contributor

Here's a link to the Tom's website.

This is so comforting to me, I just won't use any other toothpaste!

Open Original Shared Link

JennyC Enthusiast

The best thing to do is to call the manufacturer. They will have the most accurate information. There are gluten free lists and software, which I have many of, but not a single one is all-inclusive. For example, not a single one of my lists have Hidden Valley Ranch on it, and the original is gluten free!!! :D

Companies do not need to list all gluten containing ingredients, but I think they do have to list wheat because it is one of the top 8 allergens. Barley, rye, or oats can be hiding in modified food starch, thickener, natural flavors, ect. There are some brands that voluntarily list gluten. The best thing to do is to call the companies of your favorite products--you might be pleasantly surprised (as I was with the ranch dressing).

Here is a list of manufacturers that will not hide their gluten:

Aunt Nelly's

Balance Oasis (Balance bars)

Baskin Robbins

Ben & Jerry

Betty Crocker

Blue Bunny

Breyers

Campbells

Cascadian Farms

Celestial Seasonings

Country Crock

Edy's

General Mills

Good Humor

Green Giant

Haagen Daz

Hellman's

Hershey

Hormel

Jiffy

Knorr

Kozy Shack

Kraft

Libby's

Lipton

Martha White

McCormick

Nabisco

Nestle

Old El Paso

Ortega

Pillsbury

Popsicle

Progresso

Russell Stover

Seneca Foods

Stokely's

Sunny Delight

T Marzetti

Tyson

Unilever

Wishbone

Yoplait

Zatarain's

sallyterpsichore Explorer

I read somewhere that all Colgate toothpastes are fine. Has anyone heard otherwise?

Actually, it was my nutritionist who said they were all gluten-free...she's had a Celiac diagnosis about 15 years ago and is one of the premier researchers, so I'm quite confident in her advice/knowledge.

Lisa Mentor

Colgate is gluten free.

• 1 month later...
majicbunnies Contributor
I've had the same questions about toothpaste.

Finally, I got onto Tom's of Maine "natural" toothpaste website and saw that almost all of their products were gluten free, so we began to buy the ONLY Tom's toothpaste sold in our regular grocery store.

Before that, I was so confused I was just brushing my teeth with baking soda.

I'd like to see a safe list of toothpastes, if one exists. Can't make heads or tails out of reading the tubes.

Not all baking soda/powder is gluten free. I only know of a gluten-free powder, and that's clabber girl.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

I think it's important to note here that labeling laws vary greatly from country to country, and even if a product is gluten-free in one country, it might not be in another. I don't know much about labeling laws and toothpaste brands in the UK, but I do think it's safe to say that most toothpastes are safe. (Don't take my word for it though :))

confusedks Enthusiast

I know for a fact that aquafresh is gluten-free. If you go to their site and look at FAQ's it says that all their toothpaste is, I don't know about other things such as whitening products, etc.

Kassandra

• 2 weeks later...
lovegrov Collaborator

The only toothpaste I have EVER heard might have gluten is Sensodyne. As far as I know, everything else is gluten-free.

richard

mouth Enthusiast
i use colgate toothpaste and have noticed a couple of posts refering to avoiding certain types. I suppose the question is, how do i know if it has gluten in if it doesnt state anything on the packaging?

Do things with gluten in have to state that they have gluten in them?

Hi, I don't know about colgate, but, crest are gluten-free. There may be 1 or 2 of the specialty types that aren't but they are extremely nice and helpful.. either email them or call the 800# I know for fact that the bubblegum sparkles its in a stand up container is definitely gluten-free. I called because my daughter uses that one.

Good luck.

LYnn

Archived