This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Starting To Get Un-glued

emeraldcindy

emeraldcindy Newbie
:blink: I am reading labels and for the most part can figure it out, but on makeup is there something else I am looking for? All the words seem so big and I know my face broke out with the almay that matches your skin tone. Just wondered if it had anything to do with gluten. I have been gluten free for 4 days! I can notice a difference in water retention, but that is about all right now. Severe backache and headache, but also started my monthly this morning but never this bad! :( I do hope to feel better as I am tired all the time and have recurrent yeast, brainfog (this is the worst symptom) never realized what was going on!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jo.R Contributor

It gets better. I was so overwhelmed when I started almost 5 mo. ago. Now it's not so bad. I lived on this site reading everything for about two weeks. There are still times I get tired of it all, but for the most part it's not bad. This site is your best education and support. Ask questions, brag about good days, cry about the bad, this place is the best. A couple of good books I'd recommend is Ciliac Disease A Hidden Epidemic and Living Gluten Free for Dummies. How soon you start feeling better depends on how long it takes your body to repair and how long it takes you weed out the cross contamination. Don't get discouraged. It is so worth it.

The best wishes for you.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

It gets much better. I remember the first time I went grocery shopping, I almost had a meltdown in the store. Everything was so confusing, I was looking for all the wrong things, I almost gave up that instant.

I started to do my own research and little by little things started coming a little more smoothly. One day I went and I had a hassle free shopping trip. It just comes with time.

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

I'm new to this as well. This is my 21st day gluten free. :lol: This is a enormous adjustment. All our lives we've eaten whatever without thought. Even if it was technically "bad" -like Twinkies-it wouldn't really hurt us. I need some time to grieve, be angry whatever. It is consuming my life and thoughts right now--and that's okay. It will settle into it's rightful place eventually.

I try to remember that MOST foods are gluten free. Really. All plain meats, all plain vegetables, all plain fruits. That's alot to choose from right there. I can still eat nuts as well.

There different schools of thought on the topical gluten but I decided better safe than sorry. You can't really know if it was gluten in the Almay, some other chemical or just Aunt Flo and all her tag alongs :P

Take care and read the board. We aren't alone and we aren't the first to feel mad, sad, glad or WHATEVER! Watch for signs from your body that you are healing. Last night I noticed my stomach felt flat and EMPTY when I went to bed. I had no idea I was so bloated before--like a big old drum!

Hang in there!

Nyn Newbie

If it helps you in any way, you aren't alone.

I'm frustrated at the lack of choices and the cost of foods. I keep trying to convince myself I can eat vegetables and meats and do fine, but I miss raisin bran and pasta. I haven't tried any gluten-free versions yet. WHY isn't there some kind of universal gluten-free stamp that can be pasted across things so shopping for it would be a little easier? Kind of like how the 'lite' or 'reduced fat' moniker has become a green swoosh/flag/bar with the words in it? Gluten-free is anywhere from tiny lettering tucked into the corner on a label to giant letters emblazoned across the top of a box. It would save time if there was some agreed-upon method for gluten-free foods, as I'm sure it would be for peanut, soy, and milk allergie issues.

Lots of people share your feelings, and they are still eating gluten-free, so there's hope for us all.

Kyalesyin Apprentice
WHY isn't there some kind of universal gluten-free stamp that can be pasted across things so shopping for it would be a little easier? Kind of like how the 'lite' or 'reduced fat' moniker has become a green swoosh/flag/bar with the words in it? Gluten-free is anywhere from tiny lettering tucked into the corner on a label to giant letters emblazoned across the top of a box. It would save time if there was some agreed-upon method for gluten-free foods, as I'm sure it would be for peanut, soy, and milk allergie issues.

Y'know... that is a really, really good idea. I honestly wish they'd do something like that. It'd make all our lives a lot easier! I guess the only issue then is all about what is actually classified as 'gluten free'.

jambo massive Apprentice

4th day here too it i'm finding it so hard just found some gluten free hair products they are helping with my head aches. Hope it starts getting better for you soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sickofit Newbie
:blink: I am reading labels and for the most part can figure it out, but on makeup is there something else I am looking for? All the words seem so big and I know my face broke out with the almay that matches your skin tone. Just wondered if it had anything to do with gluten. I have been gluten free for 4 days! I can notice a difference in water retention, but that is about all right now. Severe backache and headache, but also started my monthly this morning but never this bad! :( I do hope to feel better as I am tired all the time and have recurrent yeast, brainfog (this is the worst symptom) never realized what was going on!

Boy, getting the yeast out can really make you sick for awhile with brain fogs and headaches. Have you read any of Dr William Crooks books on yeast and candida? You will get sick from the die-off of the yeast and feel worse before you feel better, so don't give up! Undiagnosed gluten sensitivity seems to make us sensitive to lots of other things. I'm allergic to alot of things in make-up, can't wear any lipstick because of the artificial color so use Bert's Bee's, it is all natural. Can do some Almay, Clinique I do better with. Sometimes I feel I need to be a chemist to figure this stuff out. Got sick from balsalmic vinegar then read elsewhere that is has naturally occurring sulfites and I react to all sulfites and nitrates. There could be hidden gluten, labels hide things. Found out there was barley in one of my rice milks, and of course it was not listed, but is used as an added protein. I use Clinique eyeliner, some of the others swell my eyes shut! If you react, just switch, we will probably never know everything that is hidden in the stuff we eat and use, very poor laws.

Calikat4 Rookie

I truly feel for you. The first time I went grocery shopping, I literally cried and lost a lot of weight in the beginning just because I didn't know what to eat! I swear, though, it gets better after the first few months. It just takes a lot of time. Like others have mentioned, I had to "grieve" for a while and, honestly, feel a little sorry for myself. But after 4 years, it's just a "normal" thing. Here are some tips...

Shop at health food stores -- places like Whole foods, Wild Oats, Trader Joes have gluten-free pizza, bagels (kinnikinnick's are SO good and I think they have a website), bread, pasta, cookies, frozen dinners, etc. Vans make a good gluten free waffle.

Take it one step at a time -- instead of taking it all in at once, find a few meals you like and stick to them, then move on to the next handful of meals. Fruits, veggies fish and meat (like steaks, chicken, etc that you cook at home) are gluten-free. Home cooking is key and there are a ton of gluten-free cookbooks out there.

One rule I practiced when reading food labels and deciphering the hidden glutens was: if I couldn't pronounce the ingredient, I didn't buy it. Keep in mind, though, that every product has a 1-800 number on it's package -- don't be afraid to call, even in the middle of a grocery store. Some companies (like Nestle) were so helpful that they sent me gluten-free lists and coupons!

Check all of your medications!! I got "glutened" a few times.

annie-is-GF Newbie

I recently bought a little pocket dictionary listing a TON of obscure-sounding chemicals and additives and just about everything you can think of. It lists everything in alphabetical order and everything is labeled as being "Allowed", "Not allowed" or "?Check" based on the gluten-free diet. It is incredibly helpful... especially for us newbies. The pocket dictionary I have is published in Canada by the Canadian Celiac Association but I'm positive that there is one in the U.S. as well.

Something like that might help? Good luck, anyway!

Babygirl6915 Explorer

I definitely can relate! This is my 4th day gluten-free & only the 6th day since I was diagnosed. I think I am starting to enter the "grieving period" & it sucks. :unsure: I am very fine with the cooking @ home & eating only gluten-free whole foods but the thought of having to go into restaraunts & not know what can hurt me & having to screen everything on the menu with the waiter is terrifying to me! I dunno when I will be able to eat out again but I am sure this like al the other feelings will pass.... I hope!!!! :blink:

annie-is-GF Newbie
I definitely can relate! This is my 4th day gluten-free & only the 6th day since I was diagnosed. I think I am starting to enter the "grieving period" & it sucks. :unsure: I am very fine with the cooking @ home & eating only gluten-free whole foods but the thought of having to go into restaraunts & not know what can hurt me & having to screen everything on the menu with the waiter is terrifying to me! I dunno when I will be able to eat out again but I am sure this like al the other feelings will pass.... I hope!!!! :blink:

Oh man, I can definitely relate with the restaurant fear thing! Every time I've gone to a restaurant since being diagnosed I have had annoying experiences with restaurant staff. I am NOT one of those pushy people who have no problem asking for special treatment. I tend to be shy. I went to Boston Pizza and very shy-ly asked if they knew of any gluten-free menu selections... after a long time the waitress came back and proceeded to list everything on the menu that DOES have gluten. "Oh, really, pizza and pasta have gluten? Wow, I never knew". HAHA.

We need to figure out a way to know how to talk to restaurant staff or we'll never feel normal again! :(

Archived