This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sinus Infection

pedro

pedro Explorer

Hi everyone. Is this true that when you have gluten sensitivity you have lots of sinus infections.

I've been having them for so long.

Any suggestions?

I going thru one right now and what comes out of my nose it looks like ketchup with mustard together. I know, I know too much information. :blink:

Best regards to everyone. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Sound like you need some antibiotics. Go see a doc.

I don't know whether is is celiac related though.

jerseyangel Proficient

Pedro,

I've had lots of sinus problems. What works for me is sinus irrigation. You can use a Neti Pot, which is made especially for this purpose, or what I do, which is--

Fill a cup with warm water and stir in about 1/2 teaspoon of salt and stir until disolved.

Using an ear syringe (found in the baby aisle of the drug store), gently squirt the solution into your nostrils, one at a time. Do this standing over a sink, looking straight ahead, and don't be alarmed if the solution comes out the other side--it's supposed to.

When you've used the whole cup, gently blow your nose. This really works.

Do see your doctor--the irrigation can be done as needed and along with antibiotics since it's only saltwater.

This is just me, but this works better for me than medications.

Hope you feel better soon--sinus infections are no fun :angry:

loraleena Contributor

Sinus issues can be caused by yeast (candida overgrowth). The Mayo clinic did a study that showed that 90% of sinus issues were fungal not bacterial.

pedro Explorer

Thank You I will follow the recommendations.

I am sure I need the antibiotics, it feels like I need a root canal in every single upper tooths.

I will buy the irrigation kit today.

You are the best.

Stay out of trouble, I am for sure.

hathor Contributor

Have you eliminated dairy from your diet? Your signature doesn't say so, but your Enterolab results would indicate it would be warranted.

I don't know about a connection between gluten & sinus problems, but one is certainly there for dairy. (Just google on "dairy sinus problems.") I used to get sinus infections all the time. But when I largely eliminated dairy seven years ago I never had another one.

jerseyangel Proficient
I used to get sinus infections all the time. But when I largely eliminated dairy seven years ago I never had another one.

I eliminated dairy almost 3 years ago (before I was gluten-free) and I find the same thing. I think dairy has a lot to do with this for a lot of people.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BridgetteB Newbie

If you suffer from 3 or more sinus infections a year, then you should have your doctor check your IGg levels. If they are low, then you may have a primary immune deficiency. I was diagnosised 12 years ago after many years of suffering.

DarkIvy Explorer

I'd never thought of a connection before, but I've had ongoing sinus infections for basically as long as I can remember. I got my first in 6th grade and it's been downhill ever since.

I used to do what jerseyangel suggested. It really does help, though I don't do it as often anymore because the water always gets stuck in my sinuses and comes rushing out later in the day if I tip my head forward :huh:

I've been on antibiotics so many times and it never helps. I have a deviated septum or something like that that I'm supposed to get surgery for, so basically doctors don't even bother with my infections anymore. There's clearly no point in perscribing any more antibiotics and decongestants don't do much for me anymore. I can relate though, my snot's been that color for a good year. Gross, I know. I've kind of gotten used to it :/

I'm so surprised to hear that dairy's a culprit for a lot of people. I've never heard of that. I might consider going dairy-free to see if it helps. I'll try anything to get rid of these infections...

Karen B. Explorer

A woman I work with was diagnosed as Celiac after 13 sinus surgeries. Needless to say, she's a bit miffed that it took that long for the doc to figure it out. Since she went gluten-free, no more sinus surgeries. I think they have only begun to discover a few of the many ways gluten intolerance can cause the body to go wonky.

(wonky: complex medical term meaning "to wonk" :-)

jerseyangel Proficient
I'd never thought of a connection before, but I've had ongoing sinus infections for basically as long as I can remember. I got my first in 6th grade and it's been downhill ever since.

I used to do what jerseyangel suggested. It really does help, though I don't do it as often anymore because the water always gets stuck in my sinuses and comes rushing out later in the day if I tip my head forward :huh:

I've been on antibiotics so many times and it never helps. I have a deviated septum or something like that that I'm supposed to get surgery for, so basically doctors don't even bother with my infections anymore. There's clearly no point in perscribing any more antibiotics and decongestants don't do much for me anymore. I can relate though, my snot's been that color for a good year. Gross, I know. I've kind of gotten used to it :/

I'm so surprised to hear that dairy's a culprit for a lot of people. I've never heard of that. I might consider going dairy-free to see if it helps. I'll try anything to get rid of these infections...

DarkIvy,

Please do try going dairy free and consider doing the irrigation both morning and night. An ongoing sinus infestion with dark mucous is not good and can be dangerous.

The problem with antibiotics for sinus infections (I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from seeing their doctor, quite the contrary) is that it's very difficult for the medicine to reach deep up into the sinus cavities.

Possibly a better choice would be to ask your doctor about a corto-steroid spray like Flonaise to be used in conjunction with sinus irrigation. The saline would clean away debris on the surface, making the medicine better able to do it's job.

If you do try the irrigation again, remember to go very gently and to carefully blow you nose after. Don't do it with you head tilted back, try to keep your head straight--that may be why you are holding on to the solution. Done correctly, that shouldn't be a problem.

Hope you can get some relief :)

pedro Explorer

Hi everyone. Many thanks for all your imputes.

I am taking the antibiotics, the irrigation I will star today. Sinus problems have been with me for so long, and is usually everytime I get a cold I end up with a sinus infection.

I've eliminated all the dairy products form my diet for about 1 month already. Is easier to find gluten free foods than dairy free foods for me.

I would never though that dairy could have something to do with the sinus problem. I learn something new everyday.

I hope after a few months in the diet things will clear up better. I do feel much better with the digetive issues.

Thanks you for all your comments.

Best regards to everyone.

jerseyangel Proficient

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery! :)

I agree with you--I think dairy free is harder than gluten-free, too ;)

wowzer Community Regular

Also try Mucinex. You can buy it over the counter, it is on the gluten free drug list. It helps to thin the mucous so you can get it out. I've had great luck using this. The salt water spray helps too.

loraleena Contributor

Please take probiotics with your antibitics, otherwise you are setting yourself up for yeast overgrowth which can cause sinus issues and many others. For the person who took lots of anitbiotics that did not help, I would think about candida (yeast overgrowth) being the culprit.

Archived