Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My partner does not do the celiac diet and thought this question might be a valid one. She eats alot of bread and when she drinks she has larger. Would kissing her cause me problems after she consumes gluten, or am i over-reacting?

What about when she brushes her teeth?

Hope i dont become a nuisance but there are so many questions i need to ask

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It's a good question ... it IS a problem.

Some studies show that after one hour allergens are no longer present in the mouth due to the mouth cleaning itself (saliva). Brushing is good, too, but be sure she also rinses well.

Hubby eats gluten-free when we are out so that he can kiss me with no worries.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

That is a very valid concern, and we've had these discussions before. You definitely should not kiss your partner right after she eats or drinks anything containing gluten. And yes, she should always brush her teeth before kissing you, because otherwise the chances of you getting glutened are high.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smart girlfriend :)

She should brush her teeth, rinse, etc before smooching.

(You wouldn't lick a glass that just had beer in it, or lick a plate that just had a sandwich on it....same theory)

When I was first diagnosed, my hubby was sneaky and didn't tell me he was keeping track of whether or not I had tummy trouble and whether or not he had brushed his teeth after eating his raisin bran before giving my a morning kiss (before I left for work). After 2 weeks when he showed me the results, it was surprising. Every day he had kissed me after eating raisin bran, I had a reaction. When he ate a gluten-free cereal, I had no reaction.

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen the results because we've been married over 20 years. The morning kiss is usually a peck, not a major lip lock -- and yet it was enough to cause me tummy trouble the rest of the day.

Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003

Dr. Sicherer did a study reguarding kissing an salivia pertaining to a peanut allergy. While gluten may act differntly than peanuts, this article would be a good place to start.

http://www.foodallergyinitiative.org/secti...ub_section_id=2

My girlfriend ended up going gluten free even though she doesn't have a problem with gluten. We share everything, and it was too hard trying to divide up gluten from non-gluten.

So, We don't have any gluten in our house. The thing that sold her on the diet was the weight loss and maintenece. When she eats what I eat, she looses weight. It probably helps that I also cook yummy gluten-free breads, cookies, and cakes to stave off her gluten cravings. And Redbridge beer isn't that bad. It's no porter, but it's not bad.