Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

corinne

Camping - Frustrations

There's not a solution to this problem, just want to vent.

I'm heading out to the field in two weeks to do research. I just started last September as a professor and this will be the first time I'm directing a field work project. I'm really excited about the trip, but I'm dreading the diet. I finally have my symptoms under control most of the time, by eating a very restricted diet. I can't tolerate any grains, any starches, no nuts, only cooked fruit or veggies and not raw, no red meat, no beans, no acidic foods, no spices, no dairy and no soy. Not only that, but we will be working in the Mojave desert and we will need to use the limited refrigerator space to store samples not food. The last thing I need is D in the desert in July. I'd end up dehydrated very quickly and it's a long ways to a hospital.

So it looks like the only foods that will work will be canned - carrots, beets, fruit ie apricots, chicken and fish. I really don't want to eat canned carrots and chicken for a week blechhh!! Canned chicken is slimy.

However, the field work will be worth it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't know brand names off-hand, but there are some decent turkey and chicken-based jerkys out there that might provide a decent alternative protein source as well if they don't contain spices you can't consume. Dehydrated veggies and fruits can be cooked as well.

That's an idea. I haven't tried the foil pouches - I assumed they were the same as the cans. Thanks!

The foil pouches are great. Here is a listing of Gluten Free camping food at Wilderness Dining: http://www.wildernessdining.com/gl.html You may have trouble finding packs that meet all your dietary requirements, but its worth checking it out to see what they have!

Michelle

You are courageous and I hope you have a good time.

Canned chicken is better if you squeeze out the juice. Fill can w/water to the top. Let sit for a few minutes, pour off. Most of the slime is washed away.

Just my suggestion.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Chances are if you have lumps on your body for years and the Dr. isn't concerned they're probably not lymph nodes. Chronically swollen lymph nodes would be something every Dr. would be concerned with.  Chances are you just have cysts ...
    It's different  for everyone, it can be a month or maybe a year. Most probably within a few months. This is assuming the symptoms are in fact related to gluten, which they may not be. 
    Hi Laura I'm so pleased you found answers.  This is very encouraging.  Seven years on from my own diagnosis I wish I could have some vitamin and mineral screening, I'm sure I'm still deficient. Cristiana