Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

angel42

Talk Of Making Carry Out Containers Out Of Wheat Starch?

I stumbled across this while on the net. I guess carry out containers made of wheat starch are supposed to be biodegradable. This is the first I have heard of this but the thought of carry out containers made of gluten completely freaks me out so hopefully this will not catch on.

This is the article

http://www.foodreference.com/html/art-carry-out-cnt.html

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Since the original article was published in 2004, I'd be curious to know whether this idea ever actually took off.

Since wheat is one of the top allergens, I would think they would always have to have some other option available. However, just one more way to CC.

But wheat *starch* isn't the allergen, it's wheat *protein*. If filtered enough, it would - in theory - not be a problem. They already use corn for some degradeable containers, and I haven't heard of corn-allergic folks reacting to them, so it may be already considered.

Someone always likes playing with fire, no? ;)

I stumbled across this while on the net. I guess carry out containers made of wheat starch are supposed to be biodegradable. This is the first I have heard of this but the thought of carry out containers made of gluten completely freaks me out so hopefully this will not catch on.

This is the article

http://www.foodreference.com/html/art-carry-out-cnt.html

I was at a coffee shop several months ago that had biodegradable cups made out of wheat starch. At least I think it was wheat starch; I clearly remember that my reaction was, "YIKES! Gluten in the cups????" So yes, it's possible!

Jeanne

I do agree w/ tarnalberry about the "in theory".

In practice it won't be as it was in theory.

Starch purity and gluten ppm won't even be as high as the middle of the list of concerns to the plant mgr and/or beancounters when making a sodding container, imho.

I'd read about this quite awhile ago - maybe in '04.

Since then I've seen articles talking up the corn as the preferred material.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Mummu said her daughter was "constantly nauseated, tired, and having little to no interest in eating.  She's lost weight and I'm worried she may be becoming depressed"   I agree with M.Martha.  The Autoimmune diet without dairy and...
    I disagree with this statement.   Mental conditions are not "already there" in people with Celiac Disease.  Celiac Disease causes malabsorption which results in malnutrition.  Vitamin and mineral deficiencies can cause changes in ...
    I'm a firm believer that celiac disease only aggravates mental conditions that are already there. The withdrawals can possibly cause mood issues like someone coming down off of drugs, alcohol or tobacco but it's not the gluten per se. Generally...