Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bjshad

Dh Rash? Didn't Look Like Pictures?

Hi - I have a question about DH rashes - My DD is 3 and has had a positive Enterolab test and a very positive reaction to the gluten-free diet. She also had a rash on her arms and legs since she was a baby, that was chronic and never went away until she went on the gluten-free diet and now it's totally gone for the first time that I can even remember - her doctors always said it was eczema. It didn't look like the pictures I've seen of DH, but I know for a fact that it was caused by gluten intake because the only time it went away was when she went off gluten completely. And she's always had blotchy-looking skin, and now it's nice and healthy, not blotchy, not rashy, just nice and rosy.

So, does this sound like it could have been DH? I'm sure gluten could have cause eczema too probably - and she never really itched it, so I don't think it was terribly itchy.

Thanks!

Beth

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm no expert, but I believe it "could" be DH. But then again, it may have been some other gluten or allergy reaction, such as eczema. My dd had a BAD diaper rash when she was 16 months old, just before diagnosis. I put every kind of med on there and nothing helped. It finally cleared up when she went gluten-free. Now my other baby gets a small diaper rash from gluten, too. It clears up after a couple of days of no gluten.

I possibly have DH. It is only mildly itchy, and it is not symmetrical, which are both major signs of DH. But I have been told by an allergist that it is most likely DH. I am going to the dermatoligist in about 2 wks to have it checked out and hopefully biopsied.

ptkds

Thanks for the reply - I wish I would have thought at the time that it was related to gluten, because then I could have had it biopsied! Oh well. At least it's gone. And she's gluten free now so I guess it's a mute point, but just wondered about it.

Beth

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Chances are if you have lumps on your body for years and the Dr. isn't concerned they're probably not lymph nodes. Chronically swollen lymph nodes would be something every Dr. would be concerned with.  Chances are you just have cysts ...
    It's different  for everyone, it can be a month or maybe a year. Most probably within a few months. This is assuming the symptoms are in fact related to gluten, which they may not be. 
    Hi Laura I'm so pleased you found answers.  This is very encouraging.  Seven years on from my own diagnosis I wish I could have some vitamin and mineral screening, I'm sure I'm still deficient. Cristiana