This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Want To Quit Smoking

wowzer

nikki-uk Enthusiast

4 days.

This thread never developed into much, but it inspired me to pick a date, so I wanted to update.

It's been 4 days that I haven't smoked. I don't get it. It's like someone reached inside me and took out the part that likes to smoke cigarettes.

I'm really happy about this - but, mostly, I'm confused - where did this 18 year-long nightmare go? It seems too easy. It's never been easy before. :blink:

I'm using 3-4 pieces of nicorette a day. No cravings - no yelling, stomping, strangling, nail biting ... nothing - oh - but I have been eating lots of snacks - lots and lots of snacks. Still, I don't get it.

I felt exactly the same!! No terrible moods - nothing

Kicking myself that I hadn't done it earlier (and yes I've tried before and it was AWFUL!)

I think it's when it's the right time for you and you're ready it just works out :D

...Need to apply that philosophy to losing a few pounds now :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lisa Mentor
Wait... Lame Advertisement has gluten??? I was going to ask my doctor about it! Anyone else have gluten reactions?

I quit smoking for 14 years... and then last summer I "vacation" smoked after several glasses of wine. What a dope. It's been almost a year and I promised myself and hubby that I'd quit before we moved (from PA to AR) later this summer.

I called Pfizer and talked to a Lame Advertisement Representative. She assured me that Lame Advertisement had NO gluten ingrediences.

I started today. Day one! Quiting day is next Monday. Wish me strength, determination, and a continued hopefull attitude.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
I called Pfizer and talked to a Lame Advertisement Representative. She assured me that Lame Advertisement had NO gluten ingrediences.

I started today. Day one! Quiting day is next Monday. Wish me strength, determination, and a continued hopefull attitude.

Good Luck Momma Goose!

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Go Lisa!!! You CAN do it!! :D

UR Groovy Explorer

Yaaaay !

I've heard really good stuff about Lame Advertisement. I know you'll do well if you stay determined to be a non-smoker.

I'm only 4 days in, so I'm still quite vulnerable, but I feel pretty confident. It definitely takes determination above all else. I had to really want it. So far so good.

Day 5 today. I'm still doing just fine. Haven't even thought about having 1 cigarette.

You have a week before being a non-smoker! That's exciting, Ms. Goose !

UR Groovy Explorer

Well, I was doing well (previous post). <_<

I still haven't smoked, but I take it back. I now have thought about having 1 cigarette. I almost lost it this morning (frickin' doctors). I guess this is when it's hard. I'm going to hang tough (I hope).

Determination. :angry:

Lisa Mentor

Well, I was doing well (previous post). <_<

I still haven't smoked, but I take it back. I now have thought about having 1 cigarette. I almost lost it this morning (frickin' doctors). I guess this is when it's hard. I'm going to hang tough (I hope).

Determination. :angry:

Think how the aftermath will taste in your mouth....eww. But, yes, I talk big now. Hang in there babe. I need you to be strong so you can tell me how to do it. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

UR Groovy Explorer
Think how the aftermath will taste in your mouth....eww. But, yes, I talk big now. Hang in there babe. I need you to be strong so you can tell me how to do it. :)

This has been rough - much worse than the last few days. I think I'll be fine. It got to the point where I had to fight minute by minute. Got through 10 minutes and the next 1/2 hour. Then, I made it through the afternoon. :)

A couple of nicorettes ... a couple thousand calories ...

I hope it gets easy again soon, because I feel so unsatisfied, but I guess that'll go away.

There's plenty of chocolate in the world - I'll be a size 13 again in no time flat.

Nikki-uk,

I'm seeing your point more clearly about the 10 lbs now (different thread). It's amazing how many changes can take place in such a short period of time. Funny how different it is when it's happening to you. :o:lol:

UR Groovy Explorer

I'm abandoning this thread. I'm not feelin' the love, and I feel as though I'm posting to myself & nobody gives a crap anyway. <_<

Good luck Momma Goose.

Lisa Mentor
I'm abandoning this thread. I'm not feelin' the love, and I feel as though I'm posting to myself & nobody gives a crap anyway. <_<

Good luck Momma Goose.

Don't you dare!!!! :angry: This is something that requires support. I'm just getting started. How are you doing? I know that you have been tempted, are you hanging tight?

If you don't want to do this on the full board, then PM and we can talk that way.

I know that there are alot of cheerleaders out there. Aren't there???

You know what we can do for our health if we can make it through the gluten free diet. Smoking is just the same. We have made it to the top of one mountain, this is just another one. It can be done!

So...hang in there with me.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Raises hand!!

Kat,.... sounds like you had a couple of bad days. Do you think the gum is enough for you??

I've heard that the nasal spray is very good for instant hit of nicotine (I think nicorette make this too)

I think *I* have transferred every craving for a ciggie into food...so really traded one addiction for another!! :rolleyes:

....and although I gave up Easter I don't know I'll ever confidently say ''I don't smoke''

When people ask ''do you smoke?'' I immediately say ''yes,...but not at the moment'' :unsure:

...and damn!...I'm also addicted to the gum now! :rolleyes::lol:

Lisa, how are you doing??

Are you finding it difficult to smoke yet on the tabs??

Lisa Mentor

Glad your there Nikki!

This is the third day on Lame Advertisement and it should take a full week to take optimun effect. It's odd though, I have all this energy and I have been through the house twice cleaning. It's like I have to be doing something. Perhaps that's the effect of Lame Advertisement. Keeping busy and you don't think about stopping and having a cig.

I have cut the cigs in half and working on another half this week. So by Monday, I hope to be done. They say you can still have a few, but the desire will gradually diminish. It is a three months process/package.

I'm still hopeful. I haven't told anyone yet what I'm doing (only a few thousand of you all). It's like announcing to the entire family that you are going to get straight A's this semester. One day at a time.

Kat come back :(:)

UR Groovy Explorer
Don't you dare!!!! :angry: This is something that requires support. I'm just getting started. How are you doing? I know that you have been tempted, are you hanging tight?

If you don't want to do this on the full board, then PM and we can talk that way.

You know what we can do for our health if we can make it through the gluten free diet. Smoking is just the same. We have made it to the top of one mountain, this is just another one. It can be done!

So...hang in there with me.

Well, first off, I didn't start this thread, but it was perfect timing for me, so I jumped on. I would think (based on what I've seen here and there on the board) that there would be plenty of people who are battling this or at least contemplating the battle.

Smokers are a strange breed. It's something you want and need desperately. The fact is that it's a lot more than a physical addiction. The habit is much harder to break than the addiction (at least for me). I pretty much broke the addiction. It only takes one sparkle of doubt to break your stride. My husband woke up this morning with the same doubts that I did. We stopped smoking, yes - until now. Support is necessary, yes - but I wasn't necessarily expecting a bunch of support here. There are those encouraging me on another thread - and I appreciate that they are lending their support, and I feel some shame in falling off the wagon. Non-smokers want to see you quit, but unless they know you, why would a non-smoker offer any encouragement? Current smokers are too ashamed of themselves to offer encouragement because they feel they don't have much to offer - I know ... I've been there too.

I'll tell you what's happened to this point. The first few days went swimmingly. No problems at all. Day 5 came and so did the doubts. Yesterday was almost impossible. I just wanted that smoke break. A moment to clear my mind and not fight it. I chose, yesterday, to fight all day. I was worn out from the battle by the time I woke up this morning. We didn't stick to the program. We were going to exercise - we were going to do activities to keep us busy - breathing exercise, and so on. So, after talking ourselves out of buying a pack and then talking ourselves back into it - like 5 times, we settled on buying a pack. I've smoked 2 cigarettes already. My throat is dry and sore already. It went straight to my head. I could actually feel the nicotine filter through my body and it immediately made me dizzy. I'm going to get back on the wagon this afternoon, because I know this is something I really want and need. One day of breaking the cycle can't kill the momentum. We'll have to get our heads back on straight and try again. I didn't break because of a lack of support here, althought it's a convenient excuse. I broke because I didn't have the fortitude to fight it today. I became weak.

Momma Goose - I think that it's important that you and I understand that the habit is the one you need to take care of - especially if you're using Lame Advertisement. I believe that the Lame Advertisement site has support that you can take advantage of too. We've realized that it's our thoughts that have done us in this time. You have to get control of your thoughts first and foremost. Thankfully, I have my husband for support - and he has me, although, he's a smoker too, and is having as difficult a transition as I am.

You can do it Momma Goose ... I'll be here - we can pm if that works out for you. Make a plan - stick to it at all costs. I'm going back for another try. I have to get back up on the horse - it's that or slowly wreck my system with oxidation and free-radical chaos.

Nikki - I just saw your post. I don't think I'll be using the nicorette except in emergencies. I say that now, but keep changing my mind on that one. But, I think it's my thoughts. That's what killed the effort today. You've been free since Easter. I feel confident that you can keep it up. Keep that nicorette in your back pocket. It's better than smoking.

I'll not give up !

UR Groovy Explorer
This is the third day on Lame Advertisement and it should take a full week to take optimun effect. It's odd though, I have all this energy and I have been through the house twice cleaning. It's like I have to be doing something. Perhaps that's the effect of Lame Advertisement. Keeping busy and you don't think about stopping and having a cig.

I have cut the cigs in half and working on another half this week. So by Monday, I hope to be done. They say you can still have a few, but the desire will gradually diminish. It is a three months process/package.

I'm sorry for being such a loser. This really stinks ! :(

I'm starting to think, by what you're saying, that maybe I should try the Lame Advertisement. I've heard the success rate is really good. I don't know what to do. I feel like a big cry-baby. I want to be positive and supportive. I want to be a good influence and not a downer.

Sounds like you're off to a great start. More power to you Lisa. :)

I'm going for a long walk now. Take care.

Lisa Mentor
I'm sorry for being such a loser. This really stinks ! :(

I'm starting to think, by what you're saying, that maybe I should try the Lame Advertisement. I've heard the success rate is really good. I don't know what to do. I feel like a big cry-baby. I want to be positive and supportive. I want to be a good influence and not a downer.

Sounds like you're off to a great start. More power to you Lisa. :)

I'm going for a long walk now. Take care.

Kat,

I am only on day 3. Today I have had three cigs and I found myself putting them out half way finished. I thought wow, that's cool.

Don't beat yourself up, try looking into the Lame Advertisement website and see if it may work for you. My doctor said that it has a 50% success rate. Or, there are other options available to you.

My father died at 62 from his second heart attack. I'm 52. My brother's heart is full of plaque, and he is 60. And I want to see the day that I can play with my grandchildren. Therein is my motivation.

And easy it is not. I don't mean convey that it is.

kbtoyssni Contributor

Just wanted to say congrats to all of you and keep it up! You're doing great!

UR Groovy Explorer
Just wanted to say congrats to all of you and keep it up! You're doing great!

:huh::lol::huh:

No offense intended. I'll assume you're talking to the other gals.

:lol:

Lisa Mentor

Hmmmm....remember that one less cigarette is one step closer. Take one day at a time. On Monday, I want you to throw this back at me!! ;)

UR Groovy Explorer
... On Monday, I want you to throw this back at me!! ;)

Oh, I'll be throwing it back at you all right. You just wait, Sugar ! :lol:

Hubby & I had a big discussion at lunch. We'll be old pros by Monday.

Lisa Mentor
Oh, I'll be throwing it back at you all right. You just wait, Sugar ! :lol:

Hubby & I had a big discussion at lunch. We'll be old pros by Monday.

:ph34r:

nikki-uk Enthusiast
I'm starting to think, by what you're saying, that maybe I should try the Lame Advertisement. I've heard the success rate is really good. I don't know what to do.

Sounds like it's worth looking into. :D

I wish I'd tryed it - but as I was still on anti- depressants at the time (contra-indication).

I mean...how fabulous is it that you take a tablet...and then it's an EFFORT to smoke :huh: :lol

And easy it is not. I don't mean convey that it is.

No, there's alway's an element of willpower unfortunately <_<

My Mum (lifelong smoker) has has 2 heart attacks and a stroke - my incentive

GOOD WORK PEOPLE!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
almostnrn Explorer

I am hoping some of you that are on Lame Advertisement can give me a hand here. I started taking it 6 days ago...and I am supposed to quit tomorrow, even though I have essentially quit already. I called the drug company, and did a ton of research about this med and if it contained gluten or not. So far I have only experienced one of the side effects (crazy dreams) but no nausea or anything....until today. I believe I have a break out of DH starting on my elbow....haven't had any of those in well over a year and I am terrified that it is from the medicine. This is the first thing that has ever actually worked for me and I feel like I can actually quit this time. Has anyone else had any gluten related problems with Lame Advertisement? Oh and congratulations to all of you new non-smokers out there, I hope I can join you soon!

Lisa Mentor
I am hoping some of you that are on Lame Advertisement can give me a hand here. I started taking it 6 days ago...and I am supposed to quit tomorrow, even though I have essentially quit already. I called the drug company, and did a ton of research about this med and if it contained gluten or not. So far I have only experienced one of the side effects (crazy dreams) but no nausea or anything....until today. I believe I have a break out of DH starting on my elbow....haven't had any of those in well over a year and I am terrified that it is from the medicine. This is the first thing that has ever actually worked for me and I feel like I can actually quit this time. Has anyone else had any gluten related problems with Lame Advertisement? Oh and congratulations to all of you new non-smokers out there, I hope I can join you soon!

Hey Amy.

I started my third week on Lame Advertisement. The only side effect that I have noticed is restless sleep with some very odd dreams and an occassional dull headache. I have no gluten issues at all, but I don't have DH.

You might want to call Pfzier and talk to a Lame Advertisement representative. I did and she was very helpful and informative.

I think that lack of sleep for a while is well worth it for the rewards of becoming a non-smoker.

DAY NINE SMOKELESS!!!

Good luck to you.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I quit smoking last year after being a smoker for 13 gross years.

It is a struggle at times (particularly during stressult events or after a few libations). However, the difference now and the other 2000 times I tried to quit is that I really wanted to quit this time. I know it sound simple, but when you really want to quit. You will.

For the record, the first 3 months were hell. The next 3 were better and the last 6 has been much easier. I feel better now than I have in a very long time. :)

FYI, I quit cold turkey. (Although I did also quit hard alcohol for 3 months and quit going to bars for 6 weeks for preventive measures...)

almostnrn Explorer

First of all CONGRATULATIONS to you Broncobux and Momma Goose!!! Also, thanks for the support! I did stay on the Lame Advertisement without any other problems and I quit 5 days ago. Its going well and for the first time in my life I really don't miss it. I am a little worried about Labor Day weekend....we are taking a mini-vacation to the beach and while celebrating my husbands 40th birthday I am sure we will be having at least a few adult beverages. That will by far be my toughest challenge yet since I rarely drink as it is. Oh well, I will cross that bridge when I get to it!

Have a great holiday everyone!

Archived