Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Judith Barer

Gluten Free Cookbook

My 12 year old son was diagosed at the beginning of the summer with celiac. ( He also has diabetes) What are the best gluten free cookbooks that you have found?

Thanks

Judith

I don't know many of the cookbooks, but glutenfreegirl has a marvelous blog....

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/

With a lot of recipes. She's coming out with a cookbook soon that I'm drooling over. Can't wait for it to come out......

i swear by this book! i haven't tried one bad recipe yet! it's called Life Tastes Good Again, and you can get it (and lots of recipes by the writers) at www.eatingglutenfree.com

Some of the best recipies I got were from postings on this board. We have very talented cooks on this forum.

ditto

"cooking" gluten-free is fairly simple. You just use an alternative flour for the gravies and thickening sauces. and, of course, many many foods you would cook - meat, veggies, potatoes, rice, etc., do not have gluten (just be careful to read the ingredients of any bottled or canned ingredients added).

"baking" is a whole-'nuther ball game. There are several superior bread/cake/cookie recipes right here on this board. And, if you have trouble, you can always post questions and those expert bakers will have the solution for you.

Still, it's nice to have a cookbook or two. Carol Fenster and Bette Hagman both have excellent books for baking gluten-free. I have found my library to be a good source so I don't have to buy too many cookbooks.

My 12 year old son was diagosed at the beginning of the summer with celiac. ( He also has diabetes) What are the best gluten free cookbooks that you have found?

Thanks

Judith

My son is now 13, diagnosed at 10. I'll give you my staples. Not sure about the limitations of diabetes - my son has a sweet tooth.

Pamela's Ultimate Baking and Pancake Mix. Has waffle and pancake recipes right on the mix. I add cinnamon and a little sugar (my son eats them without syrup). Also has a great chocolate chip cookie recipe on the package. I have also subbed this mix into my carrot cake recipe and it was great.

I don't use cookbooks to cook so much as to bake. My favorite is Bette Hagman's The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread. She talks a lot about different flour mixes. Our favorite is the featherlight flour mix. From this I make featherlight bread, chocolate cake, brownies, and a pizza crust everyone loves. Pizza was the hardest thing for me to make until I came across this recipe.

I use featherlight flour whenever I need some as a thickener, etc.

I also make the Soft and Chewy Breadsticks - found the recipe on this board. The great thing is you can make them start to finish in less than 30 minutes.

With experience, I learned that we love the extra flavor of adding flaxseed and almond meal (and sometimes molasses) to most baked goods.

Good luck!

I have the "Incredible, Edible Gluten-Free Foods for Kids" by Carol Fenster. I got it on amazon .com I LOVE it! It has lots of great kid-friendly meals. And I LOVE the bread recipe for whtie bread. I also use lots of recipes from here or recipezaar.com.

ptkds

Hi,

I strongly recommend the book "Special Diet Solutions" by Carol Fenster. With every recipe, she offers substitutions/alternatives to sugar, gluten, milk, eggs, and nuts. I use this cooksbook so much that one of the pages fell out the other day! :o

It would also give more baking options since your son has diabetes as well! :)

This book is out of print, but a lot of health food stores overbuy for their cookbook section. I saw the cookbook this week at my local store, and there is always the option of buying off the internet. I found several copies of it "used" for sale on-line! Goodluck. B)

-Julie

I strongly recommend the book "Special Diet Solutions" by Carol Fenster. With every recipe, she offers substitutions/alternatives to sugar, gluten, milk, eggs, and nuts.

That's the cookbook I have and it's been invaluable - just because it has so many alternatives, especially egg-free versions for my egg sensitivity.

Her pizza crust recipe is great (it is slightly different in this book than her later books) - make them smaller, about 5" dia., and they double for sandwiches or for tearing off pieces for dipping.

Thanks so much for everyone's input. I appreciate all your tips and suggestions!

The Gluten Free Kitchen by Roben Ryberg is my FAVORITE!!! She uses potato starch, corn starch and xanthan gum for all of her flour bases. As long as you have those 3 ingredients on hand, the rest of the ingredients are things I always have in my pantry. I've made at least a dozen recipies in this cookbook and they are fabulous and you can't tell they are gluten-free.