Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nikki'smom

Bday Cake Recipe

My DD who is celiac has a bday comming up in Nov. This will be her 1st gluten-free bday. I am not a cook by any means but since there are no gluten-free bakeries around us I am going to make her cake. Does any one have a good recipe or know a really good gluten-free cake mix? I want to try to make it a few times before her bday to make sure it is one she will really like :P

I know for school i am going to send in candy bars since anything brought in has to be store bought. UGH! does any one have any other ideas on what she can bring to school as a treat for the whole class for her bday?

I had bought Glutino chocolate cake mix, because I want to try making Black Forest cake next week for having friends over for supper. One of my daughters is here this weekend with her little girls, and she saw the mix last night (she and her older daughter, who is 16 months, are gluten-free now) and begged me to let her bake a cake. Since I can just go tomorrow and buy more, I let her. Boy, was it good! Moist and fluffy, not too sweet. She was amazed at how yummy it was. Even our youngest daughter ate it, and couldn't believe it was gluten-free.

So, try the Glutino cake mix, it is really good.

I am sure somebody with little school aged kids who are gluten-free will have some ideas on what to bring to school. But why in the world does everything have to be store bought? Do they think the mothers will poison the kids, or what? That sounds awfully silly.

I like the Pamela's chocolate cake mix, but make sure that you make the sour cream recipe if you can. Every time I make gluten-free cake it turns out so thin. Last time I used 2 mixes and made 4 circles. By the time trimmed them, frosted and assembled them it was just a little taller than a 2 layer wheat cake, but it looked great and seemed fancier. ;) Everyone loved it. Since you said you're not a cook I thought I'd mention all Duncan Hines home style (NOT WHIPPED) frostings are gluten free EXCEPT butter cream and coconut pecan. Good luck!

I'm just now getting the hang of bread - and haven't done a cake.

BUT, for the treat for her birthday in school......how about the candy or carmel apples (without the nuts) that they sell at Halloween time (I saw them in the store this weekend)? You'd have to check the ingredients label for stuff in the candy/carmel.

Store bought is probably required because of "sanitary" concerns. What is this society coming to? Pretty soon we'll all be like the "boy in the bubble"!!

Kids need to build up immunities and that's only done by repeated and small exposures!

(Like we had as kids).

Hope your cake comes out great! Post how it went after you've had the birthday.

My DD who is celiac has a bday comming up in Nov. This will be her 1st gluten-free bday. I am not a cook by any means but since there are no gluten-free bakeries around us I am going to make her cake. Does any one have a good recipe or know a really good gluten-free cake mix? I want to try to make it a few times before her bday to make sure it is one she will really like

Hi 'Nikki'smom',

If you would like to make your own Birthday cake here are a few possibilities.

Chocolate cake (with photo's)

Apple, Raisin and walnut cake (with photo)

Really easy cornflour/starch cake (with photo)

Although the last is a cup cake recipe it can all be put into a lined cake tin.

Fruit and nut cup cakes (with photo)

Hope this is of some help.

Best Regards,

David

Hi!

We're big fans of the Pamela's Choc. cake mix too. But, I've also heard really good reviews on Namaste choc. cake mix.

As for treats at school a couple that we really like are: Ice cream, popsicles or Pamela's Chocolate Chocolate Chunk Cookies (in a package). Or, I was going to suggest fruit, but I guess it's not packaged?

barb

I've been using the gluten-free yellow cake mix off of allrecipes.com and have had wonderful luck with it. It does turn out better if you use rice flour from an asian market because it is a finer grind. I have made these as cupcakes and they freeze pretty well (freeze them without the icing). It is also easy to make 1/2 or 1/4 of the recipe. You do know, though, it's more about the icing than the cake! :lol:

Some schools want the prepackaged items so that the teachers can read the labels for allergy issues. This also would eliminate the potential for cross-contamination in the home. We all know plenty of well-meaning people (friends and family) that just aren't dilligent enough when it comes to cross-contamination.

As far as a snack to go to school . . . My kids like the fruit chew snacks (for an ever-so-slightly healthier snack), fruit by the foot, Tootsie rolls/Tootsie pops, snack size chips or cheetos, skittles (probably their fave right now), starburst, nerds, . . . sugar, sugar, sugar . . . to a kid, it's ALL good.

Echoing the allrecipes.com Gluten Free Yellow Cake Recipe. I've used this exclusively for the last 9 months for any cake need. It's a hit with gluten eaters, too. It's easy to half, also. i usually half the recipe and make 12 cupcakes.

As a matter of fact we just served it as a birthday cake to 40 guests yesterday. NO ONE knew it was gluten-free until I told them. :D I even made one small layer plus 6 cupcakes with vanilla soymilk for a girlfriend's daughter who is gluten-free/CF.

I would definitely recommend trying this one.

Pillsbury Frosting is gluten free (as of Friday when I talked to the company). And worked great on our cake yesterday. I used to make my own until someone on here said that Pillsbury was gluten-free...after confirming I bought with GLEE!

thank you all so much! Every idea sounds great!!!!! Boy do I want cake now! LOL

I have to say so far I have tried almost every thing my daughter has been eating that is gluten-free and everything has been so good so I can't imagine a cake not being yummy too!

I am happy to hear so many store bought icing is gluten-free!

David,

Those cakes make me want to try to bake from scratch! I have a question you say caster sugar is that a brand of sugar or is that just your every day sugar? Same with stork margarine? Is that reg margarine or a specific brand?

[quote

David,

Those cakes make me want to try to bake from scratch! I have a question you say caster sugar is that a brand of sugar or is that just your every day sugar? Same with stork margarine? Is that reg margarine or a specific brand?

Guest j_mommy

I make better than sex cake.....my younger sister love it, ofcourse I just tell them it's choc cake!

What you need:

Pamela's cake mix( I use the reg recipe and it turns out fine)

Caramel Topping

Sweetened condensed milk( I buy the fat free)

wipped cream(i buy teh fat free)

Bake cake as directed

Let cool for 15 min

Poke holes all over the cake

Pour half the jar of caramel

Pour a 1/3 of the sweetened milk

again with caramel

again with the milk(you only use 2/3 of the milk)

Let cool completely

spread wipped cream over top and refridgerate

Someone here posted the TX Sheet cake gluten free cake and MAN is it good. Homemade easy cake and homemade easy icing! My Husband made it for me for my birthday and EVERYONE enjoyed a piece of it!

Monica

Let me know if I need to post the recipe!