Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wowzer

I Couldn't Believe This One--dear Hubby

I decided to make a Thanksgiving dinner yesterday so I can enjoy it. I made a turkey with gluten free stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, vegetables, waldorf salad, chocolate covered strawberries and tapioca pudding. My husband did eat the gravy but didn't try the stuffing. The kids ate it with no problem. He asked if the tapioca pudding was gluten free!!! Almost wasnt' going to eat it because it was. I told him many foods don't contain gluten. Even my son was shaking his head on this one. I had made some awesome picture perfect strawberry muffins that he wouldn't even try. I guess because I am gluten free, he doesn't think he should be.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Change is harder to accept for some people. I know that I really had to take baby steps to get where I am today.

And, at least your kids are open to eating healthy. Good for them. :)

Osteoporosis, and sacroiliac arthritis diagnosed 32 yrs of age.  Chronic low wbc, Severe constipation, Migraines, severe GERD, multiple miscarriages, Sjrogen's disease, positive ANA, thyroid nodules (hyperthryoid), fatty liver disease with elevated enzymes, low vitamin D, low protein, IBS, SIBO, Discoid lupus, mulitple food allergies and massive hair loss.  I left my career because I was too sick to keep working, and it was devastating because I couldn't apply for disability without a diagnosis.  My daughter was a preemie and she has Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and had a positive ANA and Rheumatoid Factor at 16 and now has been dx'd with Hashimoto's.

Allergic to:  corn, rice, beans, tomatoes, dairy.  Not diagnosed as celiac.

Join eNewsletter

I guess because I am gluten free, he doesn't think he should be.

ummm...

as some sort of 'balance in the marriage' thing? :huh:

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Join eNewsletter

Well, I found out today that mine really didn't know what gluten was so first maybe a definition is in order. It may be a big deal letting him know he really isn't missing out on anything "manly".

Then point out the regular foods he likes that do not contain gluten.

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

Join eNewsletter

LOL.. I have a big problem with other people eating my gluten-free goodies when they are perfectly ok to eat the cheap and easy gluten versions! Take my raspberry butterfly cookies.... they disappear, the gluten-free stuffing I made... everyone wanted to try it... Now there is more Gluten stuffing left than my gluten-free! I wish people would understand that I want to make my gluten-free stuff last.. It's expensive and harder to replace.

Dx 3/23/07

Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:

Gluten

MSG

Allergies:

Ragweed

Honeydew

Cantalope

Nickel (jewelry)

Dx'd Lymphocytic Colitis 6/16/08

I am a bad silly-yak!

Join eNewsletter

I did make a crustless cheesecake that my husband liked. I may have gotten one piece now that I think about it. I guess I figure that it won't kill him to eat a gluten free dinner. He can get his gluten in the other meals. Oh well.

Join eNewsletter

Im sorry, I know all too well how that is. When my daughter was diagnosed we ended up having the whole household be gluten free. My husband moaned about it at first but eventually he came around. When his reflux went away he became much more open to things. My husband now cannot tell gluten free from gluten filled products with most of my recipes. He is so use to gluten free that the only thing I cant get him to try is gluten-free bread in a sandwich but he will eat with cornbread mix in a stuffing, years ago he wouldn't have . Hopefully with enough time he will come around too. I would talk to him about it and tell him how disapointed you were so he can be more open to things and not be so quick with criticism. I know all too well that its very hard on the chef when their family wont even try it especially when you have taken so much time to get them figured out and prepare them.

Join eNewsletter

Well, I wouldn't be so nice about it....

Ask him what kind of example is he setting for the kids! If you or he expects them to eat the gluten-free items then by golly so should he!

The biggest turning point for my hubby was when he accidently glutened me with a kiss, since that day he has been super! He actually looks out for me more than I do at times, he was the one to explain to his mother she was NOT bringing flour into my house even for 1 little ole carrott cake and he also explained why... He is the one to get nasty with the waitress when there is that offending piece of bread on my plate when I specifically said none (and the reason why).

I have faith he will one day change his tune but for now, play hardball!

P.S. my hubby would rather have my gluten-free brownies than the old glutened ones as he says they are so much better!

Just my .00000002 cents worth

If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

Join eNewsletter

Maybe he's afraid to find out that he needs to be gluten free. My hubby went through much the same right after I found out I had celiac. I was doing all of the cooking, so he wound up on the diet "by accident" and found out the hard way when all of his aches and pains disappeared; he's never wanted to touch anything with gluten in it since.

Join eNewsletter

I think there is an element of control involved for some people when it comes to what they eat and don't eat. No one likes being told what to eat and what not to eat, or how to live or what to believe. Yes, you're married, but he is still an individual with free will who may feel he's having his options taken away from him. I understand that point of view. It is what made this diet so hard for me originally. It is part of what still makes it hard for me sometimes. I don't like that my own body is dictating how I live and what I eat no matter how good it is for me. Some of us are just wired that way ;) Have you tried sitting down and talking about how he feels? I know, he's a man and feelings are hard for some of them, but it might be worth a try. It could be as simple as a misunderstanding on his part. At the very least did you let him know how his attitude made you feel?

I decided to make a Thanksgiving dinner yesterday so I can enjoy it. I made a turkey with gluten free stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, vegetables, waldorf salad, chocolate covered strawberries and tapioca pudding. My husband did eat the gravy but didn't try the stuffing. The kids ate it with no problem. He asked if the tapioca pudding was gluten free!!! Almost wasnt' going to eat it because it was. I told him many foods don't contain gluten. Even my son was shaking his head on this one. I had made some awesome picture perfect strawberry muffins that he wouldn't even try. I guess because I am gluten free, he doesn't think he should be.

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind

as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

Join eNewsletter

You might try reverse psychology it seemed to work in this family. I told all my kids, family, and friends that they could eat what ever they were comfortable with. Just don't expect me to. I cooked gluten for them and gluten free for me. Slowly they tried my food and found that it's very tasty. My husband has lost 35 lbs going off the wheat. We are almost completely gluten free in my house now. I did provide my famous cresent rolls for the thanksgiving feast but warned my family that I would be sending the receipe to them all as I wasn't putting myself through the smell and the flour all over my kitchen again. Too much cleaning for me. My daughter came over and mixed it for me and my husband brought me a mask to wear. What a hassle. Both my mother and I had my own food for Thanksgiving it was at my son's house this year and I was really proud of my husband he joined in and ate only gluten free food and didn't even want one of the rolls. He was afraid of glutenening me. My sister in law brought a crustless pumpkin pie that was out of this world. http://www.recipezaar.com/149363

So they are all coming around. I haven't forced my diet on anyone and they are seeing the results in me. We have 5 people in our family with celiac and that is starting to get everyone's attention. Me, my mom, her brother and sister, and a cousin. Several more who have symptoms but no diogonses and not interested in finding out yet.

There are so many foods that you can make that don't have gluten in them try slowly changing your DH diet. Mine found that he feels so much better without the wheat. Now if he gives in and eats say a pizza he feels bloted and sluggish. After the last one he swore off wheat completely. Hang in there.

Yellow Rose

27 years of misdiognoses

seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet

rheumatoid arthritis May 1980

wrist joint replacement Jan 1984

fibromyalgia May 1980

insomnia since the 80's

diarrhea 1995-2000 blamed on arthritis meds

Crohn's 1998 after two operations to fix fissures caused by the diarrhea

Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:

depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.

Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive

Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

Join eNewsletter

I think that is the frustrating part for me. He seems to go in streaks. When I went gluten free the beginning of the year, he had a gluten free cheesecake baked by a chef. He will go to specialty stores and bring me home gluten free food. The problem seems to be when he tries to cook both. I'm still working on that. He did finally buy me some pans of my own when I refused to eat vegetables cooked in what I call the ramen noodle pan. He did get my pans out to cook breakfast today. We have no toaster so he skipped that. Hooray!!! We are getting there. I was never a big baker before I went gluten free. Besides being expensive, I haven't found any packaged cookies that I like. I do bake cookies and awesome muffins. I then get but you don't make anything for me. Of course this won't happen. Flour flying does me in. I did buy a ready made crust and baked him a pecan pie. I keep trying to make him understand.

Join eNewsletter

Tell your husband he has choices aplenty!

He can:

a) Eat what is there

B) Go hungry

c) Add an extra kitchen to the house with a separate A/C system and equipment, and cook his own dinner.

Most men will choose (a), and get over it.

Diagnosed with Celiac on April 24, 2007

The bad:

Ovarian Cysts- unable to carry a child

Nerve damage

Severe intestinal damage

Near death experiences

The good:

A new outlook on life

A newfound respect for others who must face challenges that they did not necessarily want to face today

Healthy Cookies

Join eNewsletter

I think that is the frustrating part for me. He seems to go in streaks. When I went gluten free the beginning of the year, he had a gluten free cheesecake baked by a chef. He will go to specialty stores and bring me home gluten free food. The problem seems to be when he tries to cook both. I'm still working on that. He did finally buy me some pans of my own when I refused to eat vegetables cooked in what I call the ramen noodle pan. He did get my pans out to cook breakfast today. We have no toaster so he skipped that. Hooray!!! We are getting there. I was never a big baker before I went gluten free. Besides being expensive, I haven't found any packaged cookies that I like. I do bake cookies and awesome muffins. I then get but you don't make anything for me. Of course this won't happen. Flour flying does me in. I did buy a ready made crust and baked him a pecan pie. I keep trying to make him understand.

What kind of cookies does he like? Im sure we could come up with a few recipes to help. Post in the recipe section of the board of what kind of cookie recipes you want. Does he like peanut butter chocolate chip cookies? I have a really easy recipe for those that is quick and easy.

Join eNewsletter

The thing is he isn't that big on cookies. Really the only time he will eat them is when they come out of the oven. I think the first gluten free baked good he tried was bread. I haven't found one that I will eat like I did pre gluten free. Talk about the worst gluten free food to test. I did bake corn bread muffins last night and he ate one. I made chocolate chip cookies. They tasted great, but the appearance wasn't the same as the gluten kind. I'll have to try rice krispie type treats. I would say pies are probably his favorite. I haven't been brave enough to try that one. Pie crust from scratch has never been something I'm good at. I did find a roll recipe made with tapioca flour that I will have to try. I ususally only make dinner 3 nights out of the week. Two of which are after a day of work. I will have to try the rolls on my day off for dinner. I do want to thank you for all of your support here.

Join eNewsletter

I dont do pie crust from scratch either, I use gluten free pantry pie crust mix (make sure you roll it between waxed paper and I also add a little powdered sugar to it). I also crush cookies and melt a little butter or smart balance and make a crust. My husband likes whole foods gluten free bakehouse rolls, I havent tried them yet. With regards to bread, what kind do you like? I loved whole grain breads before my diagnosis so I eat foods for life bread. My mom and dad like white bread so the closest they have found is gluten free pantry sandwich bread mix. Lorka's bread on here is really good but its to me more of healthy whole grain feel to it. Rice krispie treats are a great treat. My husband loves banana pudding with midel animal crackers instead of nilla wafers. He thinks its better gluten free.

Cheesecake is easy too. I use a cookie crust crushed with melted butter and you can use the already made up cheesecake filling in the tub (cant remember the name but its gluten free) and add your topping. My husband likes turtle flavored with smuckers carmael topping and chocolate ice cream topping with crushed nuts on top.

I'm glad to help out, I had a hard time in the beginning too as I wasnt a from scratch cook but I was forced to a little. Also many people on this board are very healthy eaters and well we werent ;) but I'm more so now, hubby still likes the junk food so I had to really search for some recipes. I have been lurking on this board for a long time before posting.

Join eNewsletter

My favorite breads pre gluten were a crusty french or sour dough. I didn't bother eating just any bread pre gluten. (Almost like my body knew in a way. I did the same thing with cookies.) I also took leftovers instead of sandwiches for lunch. I just went gluten free the beginning of the year. Maybe next time I'll make his pie crust gluten free and not tell him.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter