• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Molecular Dude

How Long To Feel The Effects Of Gluten Exposure?

Rate this topic

For those of you that have been gluten free for some time:

How long does it usually take for you to feel the effects of gluten exposure?

For me it's generally 3-5 days

I have ataxia and neuro issues and for me those hit really fast, the ataxia within an hour of injestion and the depression hits for 24 hours the next day. The GI effects usually don't hit until, like you, three to four days afterwards, although my tummy will start to growl within hours and gas will start to build up but the horrendous D takes time.

Anyways, it seems, after 7 1/2 yrs, when I get glutened, I have neurological symptoms now, my tummy gets kind of jumpy, but no real diarrhea anymore, which I am very thankful for. This last time though, I think my blood pressure shot very high and that isn't good either, I thought my head was going to explode, and that's never good. I get very shaky, and the floodgates open--like one minute I am fine and the next I am a total disaster--I never see it coming. The reaction was like 36 hours--the glutening happened around 7pm on Monday night and the reaction was 7am Wednesday morning. I was like a zombie the entire day on Wednesday, in a complete fog for probably 12 hours, the worst of the onset of the reaction lasting about 2 hours, in which time I took a Xanax to calm the shaking, crying, etc, reactions. After 7 yrs, this reaction is completely different from my reactions in the beginning! I prefer no reactions!!!!

Saturday I went to a party for lunch. I had called to ask if there would be food I could eat and told no (I only had time for a quick salad tho), but when I got there, the cook had kept a portion of the turkey chowder for me before adding the milk. It was delicious and I ate it. I also had a glass of white wine.

I was feeling detached and spacey by the time we left, I had a splitting headache by the end of dinner, and had to go to bed 2 hours early because I was so exhuasted. I havent felt like that since I quit gluten and dairy 2 mo ago. My husband suspected it was the wine, but i think its more likely the soup had cheap broth with wheat and creamed corn with wheat. Does that sound like glutening to you?

I cant tell about the bloating because thats not quite gone yet - looks like I need to quit rice first ;-(

Sorry to hear about the dining dilemma. I guess I will be experiencing a few of those myself this coming year. I am just trying to go gluten-free and finding that I am also somewhat sensitive to dairy.

I am curious as to some something in your sign-off: what is the Lame Advertisement test you list? And do you know why there so many folks in this forum complain of dairy intolerance in addition to gluten intolerance? I understand the parts of the intestine that digests both are closely related, but is there more to it than that?

I am learning but the learning curve on this condition is long. I guess I am gluten intolerant but not a full blown celiac yet. My blood test and biopsies were negative but the food challenge is right on.

CCM

I am curious as to some something in your sign-off: what is the Lame Advertisement test you list?

CCM

Ok, so funny . . . its a test that, apparently, offended folks on this site long ago with advertising, so if you spell out their name, it gets translated in to 'lame advertising'. I thought i'd put it clearly enuf w the dots, i'll have to fix that . . .

its A L . . and then CAT . . . but all put together. THey have a website, you can mail order a test to be taken at labcorp, and they mail back a report - it took just over a week i think. Its a IgG reaction test, I think, and i had like 175 foods tested. And over 50 were positive reactions and I dont know what to eat!!

The worst part is, when i look at my own posts, its not turned in to lame advertising, so i dindt know it was happening, so i'm glad you told me.

Ok, the fact that my email text is being translated into something unintended when published is just not right. Thanks for the replies on the dairy/gluten connection.

CCM

Ok, I'm so glad you folks put this post here, cuz just now, 3 days after being glutened at a party, I finally had the 'on the way out' symptoms lol! I thought the headache was all I'd gotten, so I'm glad to realize (thanks to this post) that this 3-day later intestinal response is still from that same glutening.

Also, about the A l CAT test being altered - yeah, i think it sucks and i wonder if we can ask them to undo that, I think its a good resource which could really help people here

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• March 24, 2019 Until March 27, 2019
      NEW ORLEANS GOURMET GLUTEN-FREE mini GETAWAY    March 24 ~ 27, 2019   We have arranged a fun and Gluten-free food filled mini in the city known for it's food and fun.  We have arranged to eat many of the famous dishes that aren't usually Gluten-free at a few of the World Renown restaurants.   Staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street in the center of the French Quarter, you'll be able to enjoy the ambiance of the city at all hours.   Our itinerary will include a Luxury Coach tour of the city and surrounding area - Admission to The National World War II Museum, including the Tom Hanks" 4D film "Beyond All Boundaries" - an exciting Airboat ride and tour through the Bayou.      This it the 3rd time we have visited New Orleans and it has always been well attended, so join us even if you've been there before.  Check out our website for the complete itinerary and cost.    Due to contractual obligations we must have 20 participants by October 31, 2018 to make this a go.      If you have any questions just give us a call at 410-939-3218.  Bob & Ruth info@bobandruths.com (410) 939-3218
    • March 27, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • March 30, 2019 Until March 31, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    MeresaI

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Forum Discussions

Oh yes, it could, although to be honest I never got myself so wet with sweat that it would have been a serious situation.  However, I can remember one time when I got caught in a cloudburst while going to my car in a large parking lot, though, and got soaked to the skin, and of course had to wear those soaking-wet clothes while I drove the 45 minutes it took me to get home --- I will NEVER forgot the misery and agony of that drive!  I could just barely keep the car under control, in fact.
    Thanks for your response, Squirmingitch, but I have to almost laugh, as at this point I am not really stressing over these questions at all --- just curious.  I have always been an insatiable question-asker, so please don't take my frequent questions as a sign of my obsessing over celiac disease or DH.  Yeah, admittedly I was rather stressed out for a couple of days two weeks  ago or so, but I am significantly settled down now, even while negotiating the nutritional maze of trying to manage two
Water?! That's… unreasonably inconvenient. Did it happen with sweat?
  • Blog Entries