Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shwem

Are Chronic Headaches A Symptom Of Celiac?

I just got my test results back and they were positive for celiac so i guess i have a lot to get used to.. but i have been having these chronic headaches for a couple weeks now and i was wondering if maybe that might be a symtom of celiac. please let me know.. i am very new to this.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I used to get a headache just about every day and thought it was sinuses, tension, or stress but when I stopped eating gluten they went away. I never even expected them to, I was trying to fix gastro symptoms, curing the headaches was a HUGE bonus.

Yes, daily headaches were a symptom for me. Prior to that, I rarely got hedaches.

Mine were mainly in the back of my head at the base of my skull--sometimes the pain would wake me up in the morning (when it was at it's worst).

I will still get this type of headache when glutened.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

i THINK MY HEADACHES WERE FROM BEING ANEMIC AS MY IRON WAS VERY LOW. nOT SURE AS i STARTED IV IRON INFUSIONS AT THE SAME TIME AS I CHANGED MY DIET. I AM SURE THEY HAVE CHECKED YOUR HEMOBLOBIN BUT JUST AN IDEA

BARB

when I was at my sickest (only a few months, I was lucky) I got migraines once a week and milder headaches a few times a week

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Since I've been gluten free, I have no headaches at all. Previously I was the poster child for migraines -weekly and very nauseous. Mind you I have only been gluten free for one month, after having been misdiagnosed with IBS for several years. On advice from my doctor I was told to have more fibre - little did I know it was making me more sick. I guess everyone is affected differently - are you eating more sugar? Just keep your protein levels equal all day long - have eggs for breakfast for example, protein for lunch and dinner. This will keep your sugar level from fluctuating. That might be why you are getting so many headaches.

diagnosed January 2008 positive blood test

biopsy confirmed celiac February 2008

misdiagnosed with IBS for years!

bloating, constipation, migraines all disappeared with gluten-free diet

My headaches, which were frequent and sometimes debilitating, went away when I went on the gluten-free diet.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I got ocular migraines before before going gluten-free. I was very low in b12 and iron as well. These are gone now.

My husband went gluten-free with me and is no longer having migraines. He'd had them since he was 12 or so. He was tested for celiac and it was negative but he says he'll never eat gluten again.