This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rather Graphic Question

dbmamaz

dbmamaz Explorer

Ok, I hate to ask this, but I've searched the forums and cant find anything like this.

First of all, my blood work came out negative, but I'd already been wheat free for 2 mo and gluten free for 6 weeks. My sensitivity test was positive for gluten and casien, as well as 1/3 of the foods i was tested for. My allergy tests were positive for wheat, barley and malt, as well as milk and 90% of the foods he tested me for.

I'm now on a very limited diet, eating about 24 foods and adding 1-2 per week, depending on reactions. For the most part, I feel great. The symptoms I'd had were milder than many here. Gastro distress was the first big one - no more daily cramping, no D, and no pasty, mess poo (like spending several minutes wiping, trying to get clean). Eventually, I lost that exhausted feeling, realized i'd stopped having to take excedrin, and the depression and anxiety left, too.

But . . . the digestion isnt ALL better. I mean, it is mostly good - and I think I can detect CC now, since i'm so clean and I cc'd myself when I made pasta the other day for the family - cramping, gas, smelled like something died in there. So i'm being much, much more careful in the kitchen.

But i am still getting green slime, fairly regularly. I mean, sometimes its a moist fart . . . sometimes its before, after or around a poo . . . and yesterday I had another really messy poo. I'm hoping that was the orange which I'd had an oral allergy syndrome reaction too - oranges are on my safe list, but now that hayfever is hitting, I seem to be cross reacting. Anyways, before i started eliminating foods, I used to occasionally have green poos, usually soft and fast, and sometimes my really bad D was green. But it always made me nervous. But its esp frustrating me now that i'm still having green slime when i'm working SO HARD to get healthy, and I know I've made a lot of progress but this just GROSSES ME OUT!!!

So . . . if anyone is still with me . . .has anyone else had this green slime? Is it something else other than food issues? Could it be I'm still healing from years of (still) undx'd celiac and i'll just have wierd symptoms for . . . 6 mo? a year? 2 years? Will this ever go away? Is there anything else I should be doing . . . other than going back to a doc who just wants to give me drugs for IBS?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

itchygirl Newbie

Here is a nice article on celiac and fecal incontence

Open Original Shared Link (abstract)

Open Original Shared Link (full text)

If you can get dr. stupid to to a fecal fat test and Fecal elastase maybe he would get off the IBS kick <_<

You may want to talk to Yolo about OTC enzymes, if your doc is determined to ignore classic malabsorption symptoms.

Green is usually fecal bile. Bile comes through as green when you have increased colonic transit time. This can be caused by a wide variety of things-infection, Crohns...and celiac. When bile moves through the digestive tract at a normal pace, it turns brown. If you search on bile in stool you can learn a bunch about green poo. :blink:

gfpaperdoll Rookie

I would like to comment on your food allergies, since I have a lot of experience with them. Just go very slow on reintro new foods. Give your guts a chance to heal.

try baked sweet potatoes, most everyone can handle those. Drizzle on a little honey, if you are allowed honey.

I would not be eating any dairy, soy, or white potatoes for a while - a lot of us do not do well with white potatoes... also be careful of eggs & nuts... and I would not eat any gluten free foods like pancakes, cakes, crackers etc. Just eat whole natural foods at least for 6 months to a year...

during this time of healing buy organic if you can.

your other food allergies should get better once you heal - mine did...

dbmamaz Explorer
Here is a nice article on celiac and fecal incontenceIf you can get dr. stupid to to a fecal fat test and Fecal elastase maybe he would get off the IBS kick <_< . . .Green is usually fecal bile. Bile comes through as green when you have increased colonic transit time. This can be caused by a wide variety of things-infection, Crohns...and celiac. When bile moves through the digestive tract at a normal pace, it turns brown. If you search on bile in stool you can learn a bunch about green poo. :blink:

Oh, a lovely topic of response - i supposed I should have expected that with my lovely original topic :o

This is really interesting info, thanks so much itchy. I may actually make an apt w my doc and ask for malabsorption testing . . . or maybe just avoid him and go to enterolabs . . .or get back on track trying to find a better doctor . . .

dbmamaz Explorer
I would like to comment on your food allergies, since I have a lot of experience with them. Just go very slow on reintro new foods. Give your guts a chance to heal.

. . . Just eat whole natural foods at least for 6 months to a year...during this time of healing buy organic if you can.

Thanks paperdoll. My list of safe foods (only foods which were on both tests and negative on sensitivity, 0 or 1 on allergy) was:

Protien: soy

Starch: corn, potato, sweet potato

Veggies: brocolli, green bean, lettuce, spinach, celery, tomato, avacado

Fruits: grape, cantaloupe, Orange, Peach

Other: Black tea and olives.

I have since added lemon grass tea, turkey and lamb, sunflower seeds and flax seeds. I tried lemon juice, cucumber and hibiscus tea and had some reactions. I simply cant see avoiding soy and potatos right now - esp since I didnt react to them on either test and my foods are so very limited. I honestly felt that eating soy was better for me than eating meat - although I'm starting to think its because of the fat malabsorption <_< I dont LIKE soy or tomato, but i'm eating them anyways right now.

Someone else on another post of mine also mentioned that their food allergies cleared up after a year gluten-free - i think it was Ravenwoodglass. I really appreciate hearing that, as this is certainly no fun.

superbeansprout Rookie

While I'm not aware of the "green slime" you speak of, I sometimes get a clear mucousy film with some bowel movements. it's occasional, certainly not an every day thing. Sounds to me...you mention having green poo as well...and whoever mentioned colonic transit time is absolutely correct. Google that "colonic transit time" or "green feces" and you can get the facts. but basically the faster food moves through your intestinal tract, the greener it will be. Especially if you eat a lot of salad, leafy greens, etc. Basically your body is not able to absorb and take it out of the food before it gets expelled from you.

I used to have a big problem with salad...couldn't eat it (and I apologize for the graphicness) without it coming out looking exactly like it did going in...it came out as lettuce...chunks of lettuce. Same with grapefruit and sometimes oranges...but mostly just grapefruit. I can't eat grapefruit now because of a medication I'm on doesn't allow me to have them, and I haven't noticed it anymore with oranges...so maybe it was just a fluke...or maybe I was eating it with something with gluten in it, which caused the transit time to lessen.

Certainly adding more fiber into your diet will help. Less fat--though those two are probably true for anyone, regardless of dietary allergies.

Just yesterday I also had a green movement...so I'm unsure what that was from...didn't eat a salad...didn't have any food coloring...don't think I had any gluten...so maybe it was something else entirely.

You're not alone...but I would certainly mention it to your doctor, they may suggest a 24 hour poo assessment. :)

itchygirl Newbie

I would so die on your diet. :lol: Melon makes my throat swell shut. Enjoy a nice melon for me.... :) What makes me crazy (well crazier :P ) about the docs passing out these "IBS" dx's is the IBS is supposed to be a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning that the doc is supposed too run all the tests for everything else that could possibly cause the symptoms, then they can diagnose the poor person with IBS if they did not find anything (which generally means that the doc missed an important test and the patient has mastocytosis or something)

Now all they do is look at patients and go "IBS" with no testing... :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wonka Apprentice
While I'm not aware of the "green slime" you speak of, I sometimes get a clear mucousy film with some bowel movements. it's occasional, certainly not an every day thing. Sounds to me...you mention having green poo as well...and whoever mentioned colonic transit time is absolutely correct. Google that "colonic transit time" or "green feces" and you can get the facts. but basically the faster food moves through your intestinal tract, the greener it will be. Especially if you eat a lot of salad, leafy greens, etc. Basically your body is not able to absorb and take it out of the food before it gets expelled from you.

I used to have a big problem with salad...couldn't eat it (and I apologize for the graphicness) without it coming out looking exactly like it did going in...it came out as lettuce...chunks of lettuce. Same with grapefruit and sometimes oranges...but mostly just grapefruit. I can't eat grapefruit now because of a medication I'm on doesn't allow me to have them, and I haven't noticed it anymore with oranges...so maybe it was just a fluke...or maybe I was eating it with something with gluten in it, which caused the transit time to lessen.

Certainly adding more fiber into your diet will help. Less fat--though those two are probably true for anyone, regardless of dietary allergies.

Just yesterday I also had a green movement...so I'm unsure what that was from...didn't eat a salad...didn't have any food coloring...don't think I had any gluten...so maybe it was something else entirely.

You're not alone...but I would certainly mention it to your doctor, they may suggest a 24 hour poo assessment. :)

I had the same problem with spinach. It was pretty gross to be pooping out intact spinach.

debmidge Rising Star

If you are not eating spinach or other green veggie, then I'd say, from experience, that the green stuff is undigested bile. Let your GI know this and how often it occurs. Are you getting any pain in upper right back and right underarm? Any extreme gas pain in right side of chest? Have you had an ultrasound of your gall bladder?

Open Original Shared Link

dbmamaz Explorer
If you are not eating spinach or other green veggie, then I'd say, from experience, that the green stuff is undigested bile.

I'll check out the link (my puter is acting up now, tho). But I was reading more yesterday and it could be partly my diet. My breakfast is melon and mandarin oranges and raw sunflower seeds, with a handful of organic blue corn chips. Lunch is a salad, with mixed baby lettuce, celery, avacado, black olives, mandarin oranges, and a simple dressing of white wine vinegar and olive oil with salt and flax meal, and a few handfuls of corn chips.

Dinner is more varried and more solid - but i'm eating such light foods during the day, and lots of green food, that could explain some of it.

Oh, also, i'm not having much pain - just a lot of cramping sometimes when i have a bad poo - yesterday the cramping was so bad it made me nauseated. I do think i've had that kind of pain in the past, and i may have had a gallstone once - i'd waited until i couldnt walk for 2 days by the time i went to the ER, and there was no sign of one, but that was what they thought it was.

thanks

jgoodroad Newbie

try baked sweet potatoes, most everyone can handle those. Drizzle on a little honey, if you are allowed honey.

I would not be eating any dairy, soy, or white potatoes for a while - a lot of us do not do well with white potatoes... also be careful of eggs & nuts... and I would not eat any gluten free foods like pancakes, cakes, crackers etc. Just eat whole natural foods at least for 6 months to a year...

during this time of healing buy organic if you can.

Hi!! I am new to this issue...there's so much to learn. I am feeling very overwhelmed at this time.

My results from RAST testing (IgE) indicate I have increasing antibodies for eggs, garlic, gluten, milk (cow's), onion, peanut, pineapple, tomato and wheat. I am also allergic to ragweed, dust mites, grass pollen, and oak. I have been avoiding all corn for the last two years due to a corn allergy.

I am confused about what I should eat? The doctor recommends I rotate foods but I don't have many to choose from right now. Do you have any suggestions? I am very limited to a small quantity of food choices... The doctor didn't mention potatoes as something I should limit or eliminate also.

I noticed you said that allergies will improve after your body heals by avoiding gluten. My doctor wants me to take allergy shots. Are they effective? I have heard so many negative comments that they do not work...

itchygirl Newbie

There are no allergy shots for food allergies. They may help with pollen or pet allergies. Just because you react to something on the RAST test is absolutely no indication that you will react to it when you eat it-RAST results are just a suggestion, not an absolute. I choose to eat anything that is not gluten and does not give me anaphylaxis. Cooking fruits and vegetables thoroughly both helps me prevent those annoying oral allergy reactions, and makes them easier on my gut. Cooked melon would be awful, though. :lol: If you're seeing some quack that gives allergy shots for food allergy then getting a second opinion from a board certified allergist may be in order.

Open Original Shared Link (big brochure with big print)

dbmamaz Explorer
I am confused about what I should eat? The doctor recommends I rotate foods but I don't have many to choose from right now. Do you have any suggestions? I am very limited to a small quantity of food choices... ...

I'm with you there . .. when I got my sensitivity test back, it came w a rotation diet suggestion, which i found impossible to get my head around. Once I added in the allergy tests, theres just no way - i would be eating 4 or 5 foods all day, i dont have enough to rotate. I already feel like i'm starting to be malnourished from the limited foods I'm eating.

I have heard about an accupunture treatment called NAET i'm kinda interseted in .. i might call my chiro and ask if he knows anything about it . .

looking forward to other responses

jgoodroad Newbie
There are no allergy shots for food allergies. They may help with pollen or pet allergies. Just because you react to something on the RAST test is absolutely no indication that you will react to it when you eat it-RAST results are just a suggestion, not an absolute. I choose to eat anything that is not gluten and does not give me anaphylaxis. Cooking fruits and vegetables thoroughly both helps me prevent those annoying oral allergy reactions, and makes them easier on my gut. Cooked melon would be awful, though. :lol: If you're seeing some quack that gives allergy shots for food allergy then getting a second opinion from a board certified allergist may be in order.

Open Original Shared Link (big brochure with big print)

The doctor didn't recommend getting shots for my food allergies but my environmental allergies such as ragweed and dust mites. She believes this may help my food allergies. I can't eat any melons....

jgoodroad Newbie
I'm with you there . .. when I got my sensitivity test back, it came w a rotation diet suggestion, which i found impossible to get my head around. Once I added in the allergy tests, theres just no way - i would be eating 4 or 5 foods all day, i dont have enough to rotate. I already feel like i'm starting to be malnourished from the limited foods I'm eating.

I have heard about an accupunture treatment called NAET i'm kinda interseted in .. i might call my chiro and ask if he knows anything about it . .

Hi! Do you have any environmental allergies? Are you taking allergy shots for them?

dbmamaz Explorer

Hi! Do you have any environmental allergies? Are you taking allergy shots for them?

I do have lots of environmental allergies - i reacted to every single tree, weed, animal and mold the allergist tested me for. People keep teasing me that i'm allergic to life - or else they wonder if I was allergic to the needles <_< The doctor didnt mention shots, i'm not sure why. Sometimes I'm amazed my symptoms are as mild as they are, considering . ..

superbeansprout Rookie

Hi! I'm going through NAET right now actually. We've only done a few treatments, but I was sensitive to everything so far...we've done Calcium (anything milk derived) I was way sensitive to that, sugar, vitamin A, Iron, Egg mix (and anything to do with eggs or chicken including feathers! so no down comforters or parkas!) and probably some more that I can't think of right now. The one that I am most curious about that I've been treated for is dairy...I'm too afraid to NOT take lactaid with milk and cheese and stuff because I remember what happens...but she said I cleared the treatment, so I shouldn't be sensitive to it anymore...but again...too afraid to try it. maybe when I have a while to be at home rather than at work or out and about. :) Let me know if you decide to try it! Good luck!

-superbeansprout

ChicoYaYa Newbie

Do you know someone who does colon hydrotherapy? This sounds like what mine calls "a liver dump".

curlyfries Contributor

I have never heard of habbas syndrome, but when green bile was mentioned, I wondered about gallbladder disease. My first symptoms w/ my gallbladder was throwing up green bile :(

dbmamaz Explorer

I was honestly starting to wonder if it was yeast related. I stopped eating candy and marshmallows and took an oral med for yeast my gyn had given me. The green slime seemed to stop. Then I ended up with the flu and bronchitis and an ear infection, so i'm on anti-fungal and anti-biotic . . . here comes the yeasties again . . .

i really appreciate all the thoughts, tho, i'll come back here and do more followup if it continues to be a problem for me.

Archived