Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiceGuy

A Better Baking Powder

Hi all.

I recently found it practically impossible to get quick-breads, biscuits, etc to rise properly, as discussed in this thread. Though the company insists they didn't change the formula for their baking powder, it's the only thing I can figure might have changed. And while Rumford's didn't ever work as well as I had wished, it sure beat the more recent results.

Anyway, I was therefore on a quest for a better baking powder. I reasoned that if only the CO2 gas was released in the oven, it would work. Rumford's produces the reaction on contact with water, and this seems to be too soon, at least for gluten-free baking. After much digging, and some queries with the Rep at Clabber Girl Corp (makers of Rumford), I concluded that all along I've been using the wrong baking powder. Rumford's product is based on monocalcium phosphate, but a more ideal baking powder would be one based on sodium acid pyrophosphate. Such a product requires heat to get the reaction, thus there wouldn't be all the wasted CO2 during mixing. Obviously, the wet ingredients should not be warm.

Thankfully, there is such a baking powder, which also happens to have non-GMO cornstarch as does the Rumford product. To my surprise, the brand is Bob's Red Mill! Though they don't claim non-GMO cornstarch, it turns out to be anyway. It also has a small amount of monocalcium phosphate, which is why they call it double-acting. I don't see any reason why we'd need any leavening before the dough goes in the oven, so maybe it's a marketing thing. I was unable to find any such baking powder without cornstarch, and buying pure sodium acid pyrophosphate isn't practical unless you can afford a 50lb bag.

Using Bob's baking powder, I got great results immediately. Never has it been so easy to get gluten-free stuff to rise. I'm sure this will also solve the gooey pancake issue. It should work well for dumplings too. This is one Bob's Red Mill product I definitely recommend!

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Thanks for the research and report back. I use Rumford because it's non-aluminum. Is the Bob's non-aluminum as well?

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for the research and report back. I use Rumford because it's non-aluminum. Is the Bob's non-aluminum as well?

Yes, Bob's is non-aluminum too! Thanks, I forgot to mention that.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Join eNewsletter

Very interesting! I read your other thread, but didn't have any helpful advice to help you. I'm glad that you found something to work for you! Maybe I'll pick some up and do a trial myself.

Mom of:

Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.

Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

Join eNewsletter

Hmm...interesting. I thought all baking powder was the same. :rolleyes: I use Clabber Girl, maybe I should try BRM.

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

Join eNewsletter

Very interesting! I read your other thread, but didn't have any helpful advice to help you. I'm glad that you found something to work for you! Maybe I'll pick some up and do a trial myself.

Yeah, it really does work great. I just made a muffin tonight, and it rose like never before! Truly light and fluffy. If it had been Rumford, it would have either not risen, or there'd be a big air pocket inside, with goo at the bottom.

I'm already finding that my recipes work like they should. I don't have to overcompensate, or rush to get it mixed and into the oven. I haven't noticed any funny taste from it either.

I'm sure you'll get noticeably better results as well!

Join eNewsletter

Hmm...interesting. I thought all baking powder was the same. :rolleyes: I use Clabber Girl, maybe I should try BRM.

Doesn't Clabber Girl baking powder have aluminum?

Join eNewsletter

I will definately keep this in mind......Thanks! :D

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter