This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nosebleeds

sickchick

sickchick Community Regular

I get gushers (started about 6 years ago) and when I get them I get this weird metallic taste in my mouth.

Any ideas? I chalked it up to gold ole vitamin deficiency...

:ph34r::)

love love

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

veggienft Rookie

We have sinuses surrounding the nose, above and below the eyes. I got frequent nosebleeds, gushers, before I isolated their locations, their causes, and started treating them. My nosebleeds were scabs, and probably constant infections, where my lower sinuses enter the bottoms of my nasal passages. I think that's where most people's nosebleeds originate.

I'm allergic to lots of things. Not the least of them is wheat. Another bad irritant is getting chlorinated pool water in my nose. I controlled my exposure to these irritants. But at the same time, I started swabbing the affected area once a day. I use a Q-tip and zinc salve. Together, all these measures are working .......no more nosebleeds.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I get gushers (started about 6 years ago) and when I get them I get this weird metallic taste in my mouth.

Any ideas? I chalked it up to gold ole vitamin deficiency...

:ph34r::)

love love

The metallic taste is from the blood. Nose bleeds can come from a large variety of reasons. You should mention this to your doctor and at the same time ask him to do a vitamin and mineral panel on you. A simple look inside the nose can sometimes tell a doctor what the reason is and/or if there is a need for a referral to an ear, nose and throat doctor or allergist.

Thanks you two!! :)

home-based-mom Contributor

I have them sometimes when the weather is really dry, as in single digit humidity. :blink: One thing that has helped me and may help you is to make sure your vitamin C supplement has lots of bioflavonoids because they help strengthen the blood vessel walls. :)

I wish it was dry! ;) lol

currently 56 and rainy. :lol:

I am taking 1000 mg vitamin c every day...you think I should try 2?

• 2 weeks later...
ShayFL Enthusiast

Interesting. I never had any problems with nosebleeds or bleeding for that matter before. I had been noticing for the past 2 weeks that there were speckles of blood when I blew my nose. And that crusties were dark red.

Then two days ago, I noticed that I had scratched a tiny scab on my arm and that it was gushing. I mean tiny. And later that night, my nose was bleeding. What the?????

So I did some research and figured it out within 10 minutes. I have been taking fish oil, vitamin D (I am deficient) and extra vitamin E. ALL BLOOD THINNERS!!! Not to mention I am eating more spices to make my food taste good (contain salicylates which also thin the blood). These all antagonize vitamin K (the vitamin that makes your blood clot).

I switched vitamin D from one that had a little vitamin K in it to the fish oil. And I used to take chloraphyll drops, but stopped when I went gluten free because I could not find out if they were gluten-free (I called but they never got back to me). Chloraphyll is high in vitamin K.

Anyway, what I inadvertantly did was upped my vitamin K antagonists and lowered my vitamin K intake and there you have it.....bleeds.

I took the chloraphyll the last two days anyway deciding that it was gluten-free (nettles and glycerine) and ate a bunch of green leafy veggies and now there is no blood in my nose. I read it is easily and quickly corrected. Thank goodness!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Blood thinners... go figure! :huh::lol:

RiceGuy Collaborator

Yeah, that was me all the way - gushers, and lasting upwards of three hours :wacko:

This and a bunch of wide-ranging and seemingly unrelated health issues cleared up when I discovered and consequently got rid of a candida overgrowth. I later found that dairy would cause a nosebleed if I had too much in a short period of time, though nothing like before. Then, as the issues from the yet unknown Celiac worsened I started getting occasional nosebleeds again. I noticed they stopped completely after I started taking B12.

The blood thinner thing is interesting too. I'm sure some of the stuff I take now is in that category. I'll keep this in mind, but hopefully the nosebleeds won't return.

bakingbarb Enthusiast

Wow, interesting. I always had gusher nose bleeds but when I went off the wheat I haven't had any.

The pharmacist I would trust more then any Dr. told me to use ocean spray nasal spray. It is saline and it just moisturizes the nose. I don't get gushers now but my nose is very dry so I still use the spray, it is also very helpful when you have a cold.

KProc Newbie

My dad and I both get nosebleeds. His are far worse. He doesn't have Celiac though.

So your nosebleeds may, in fact, be totally unrelated to Celiac. Some people are just predisposed to them.

I think we all have a tendency to blame every health problem we get on the Celiac...don't you? haha

But Vitamin K is involved in blood clotting, so maybe you are deficient.

Also, a lot of people say a teaspoon or so of vinegar daily helps with blood vessel constriction and reduces bleeding.

GOOD LUCK. Nosebleeds are a huge bummer.

:lol: thanks

Archived