This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Do I Stop Anorexia Comments

nikky

nikky Contributor
hi niki, im 5'4" and 108lbs, at the height of skinniness due to the celiac i was 95lbs so i would say that you are very healthy. r there any groups in your area for celiacs to go to for support with some kids your own age maybe? i only hope with time that your friends will change there attitude and remember your not in high school forever!

Thankyou, there are no suport groups for teens in my area, the only one we can find is for adults and is a long while away

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nikky Contributor
I think most would be genuinely concerned about your health. It's an awkward and sensitive topic to bring up. I would reply something along the lines of "no, but I do have other serious medical conditions that affect my weight, and I am conscious of (or working towards) my health".

For the people who are joking around - that makes me mad. You don't joke about a serious mental illness. Do they think making fun of you would help things if you were anorexic???

I agree, i think they are genuine but they just dont listen most of the time, like the other day i was talking to chloe, i said i was frustrated because my mom keeps saying im loosing weight again and she just went "you probably are, you need to eat more lol"

nikky Contributor
O man do I know how you feel. I am between 5'3 and 5'4 and when I was healthy I was 114 and then when I got sick I went down to like 83 pounds and people kept making comments and doctors even asked me if I was anorexic and I absolutely hated it. I had tons of anxiety due to what I have been through and so I would not eat alot or in front of people because I was afraid of getting sick because everything used to make me sick so I decided I guess not to eat. Anyhow to make a long story short I am about 125 now and I have a healthy appetite because the doctors actually put me on an anti anxiety med that helps increase weight. You know I am not a big fan of meds but when you are so thin like I was, it's a last option. Anyhow, just try not to let it get to you...I know it is harder than it seems cuz I was there and those comments hurt because you feel like you can't help it but you know what..it WILL get better. And being gluten free for a while did help me gain weight back too. Just hang in there

PS...I don't think your weight seems that bad to me..that is actually a pretty good weight for your size if you ask me. Maybe they are just jealous ;)

thankyou, i hope your feeling better!

evilette13 Newbie

I just wanted to share with you. I am 5' 9" and currently weigh 115 lbs. My good friends look out for me and often choose dining options based on the availability of gluten-free foods. I feel extremely lucky to have such a wonderfully understanding group of girlfriends. However, before I knew about celiac, I was almost fired from my job because they said, "I must be on drugs to be so skinny and so tired all the time." Other people, often clients- as I am a stylist, would rave and make jealous remarks about, "how nice it must be to be so skinny." Finally I got fed up and asked if they would tell a fat person the same thing about being so big? They often look perplexed and respond 'no' as if I have offended them. I then explain that I have not chosen to be skinny. Unfortunately, sometimes you just need to take a deep breath and extend your energies finding food rather than worrying about if someone else thinks you are anorexic. It does no good and they will think it anyway. We have enough anxiety already. I try to keep fresh fruit on hand at all times and eat dry rice noodles when my insides hurt so bad I can't think. I have also found a wonderful immune boosting power IgG 2000 that has helped to keep my insides happier. In addition, acidophillous pills for ulcerative colitis called VVL#3 have been a life saver. These two meds are expensive. Have you tried gluten-free food enzymes when you eat? They often help me speed up a bad case of accidental gluten ingestion. Hope this information is inspiring to you.

--Monica

Keep positive and remember time and careful eating will help you gain weight and control of your life.

thankyou, i hope your feeling better!
gfp Enthusiast
Thanks for the tips. I do try to explain to my freinds about celiac, but most of the time i end up wanting throw something because all i get are comments like "I'd tell them to stuff it" (them meaning my doctors) and "I'd die if i couldnt eat cookies and pizza"

Nikki, I think its more likely your friend can't help eating cookies and pizza and instead of accepting she has a problem is looking to transfer the 'guilt'.

nikky Contributor
Nikki, I think its more likely your friend can't help eating cookies and pizza and instead of accepting she has a problem is looking to transfer the 'guilt'.

the sad thing is, i cant really say to my freinds that if they had coeliac they wouldnt have a choice, because my dad has probably got it and is already hinting that he might not go completly gluten-free " just because i see the doctor doesnt mean i have to listen to them", im not sure how much he means but i know for a fact if i had that attitude he'd give me the biggest talking too of my life

MarsupialMama Apprentice

At 15 I was 95 pounds and at 24 years old I still am (5'3" by the way). I was teased in high school about being anorexic, and there wasn't much I could do about it. I still get the "You are so skinny" comments even now. Am thinking I might gain weight on a gluten-free diet, but I'm not hanging my hopes on it.

The only thing I can say is to be very serious with those who are truly your friends (the ones worth keeping) and the rest you have to ignore for the insensitive individuals that they are (I'm trying to be nice here....:-) ) I would probably tell the friends you want to keep "You know, it's really hard on me when it is my FRIENDS that kick me while I'm down, and when I need support instead of ridicule." It will make them think about their comments instead of just letting anything fly out their mouth, and you will find out those who truly care about you. These are the ones that you can trust no matter what.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nikky Contributor
I just wanted to share with you. I am 5' 9" and currently weigh 115 lbs. My good friends look out for me and often choose dining options based on the availability of gluten-free foods. I feel extremely lucky to have such a wonderfully understanding group of girlfriends. However, before I knew about celiac, I was almost fired from my job because they said, "I must be on drugs to be so skinny and so tired all the time." Other people, often clients- as I am a stylist, would rave and make jealous remarks about, "how nice it must be to be so skinny." Finally I got fed up and asked if they would tell a fat person the same thing about being so big? They often look perplexed and respond 'no' as if I have offended them. I then explain that I have not chosen to be skinny. Unfortunately, sometimes you just need to take a deep breath and extend your energies finding food rather than worrying about if someone else thinks you are anorexic. It does no good and they will think it anyway. We have enough anxiety already. I try to keep fresh fruit on hand at all times and eat dry rice noodles when my insides hurt so bad I can't think. I have also found a wonderful immune boosting power IgG 2000 that has helped to keep my insides happier. In addition, acidophillous pills for ulcerative colitis called VVL#3 have been a life saver. These two meds are expensive. Have you tried gluten-free food enzymes when you eat? They often help me speed up a bad case of accidental gluten ingestion. Hope this information is inspiring to you.

--Monica

Keep positive and remember time and careful eating will help you gain weight and control of your life.

Thanks. I havent tried food enzymes, i dont know where to get them in the UK and my pearents tend to discourage us (me my sisters and brother) from taking too many supplements. Ive never heard of the immune boosting IgG 2000, my GI hasnt mentioned any drugs (mind you hes a bit pre-occupied trying to sort the rest of my family out at the same time as treating me) and the doctor i usually see at my new GP practice isnt fussed on giving people perscriptions for anything. But i will keep an eye out thanks.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

At 30 years old I am finally a normal weight that I don't look anorexic. I'm still thin, but I no longer get the obnoxious comments that I heard my entire life.

I finally got to the point that when people would exclaim, "OMG, you're so skinny! How much do you weigh." I would retort back, with, "Excuse me. But I don't say to you, OMG you're so fat. How much do you weigh." That usually shut people up real fast of they just starting stammering an explanation of how they didn't mean it as a bad thing.

Just keep in mind that if they honestly thought you had an eating disorder they wouldn't be so harsh and cruel about it. They're probably just jealous knowing that you really can just eat whatever you want (as long as it's gluten-free) and not gain weight.

Tell them that they know very well you are not anorexic and the comments are hurtful. Hopefully they will take that to heart and stop with the comments.

nikky Contributor
At 30 years old I am finally a normal weight that I don't look anorexic. I'm still thin, but I no longer get the obnoxious comments that I heard my entire life.

I finally got to the point that when people would exclaim, "OMG, you're so skinny! How much do you weigh." I would retort back, with, "Excuse me. But I don't say to you, OMG you're so fat. How much do you weigh." That usually shut people up real fast of they just starting stammering an explanation of how they didn't mean it as a bad thing.

Just keep in mind that if they honestly thought you had an eating disorder they wouldn't be so harsh and cruel about it. They're probably just jealous knowing that you really can just eat whatever you want (as long as it's gluten-free) and not gain weight.

Tell them that they know very well you are not anorexic and the comments are hurtful. Hopefully they will take that to heart and stop with the comments.

I know part of it was jeaslousy ("omg you could eat a normal cake and loose weight? lucky you" my reaction : yea if i wanna end up with cancer) but the freind that said that on the bus genuinely did think im annorexic, but shes not the quickest of people, taking into account that she asked if coeliac is contageous.

• 2 weeks later...
evilette13 Newbie
Thanks. I havent tried food enzymes, i dont know where to get them in the UK and my pearents tend to discourage us (me my sisters and brother) from taking too many supplements. Ive never heard of the immune boosting IgG 2000, my GI hasnt mentioned any drugs (mind you hes a bit pre-occupied trying to sort the rest of my family out at the same time as treating me) and the doctor i usually see at my new GP practice isnt fussed on giving people perscriptions for anything. But i will keep an eye out thanks.

Oh. Food enzymes do not require a prescription. You can obtain them from any health food store. I get mine from Central Market. They are often label digestive or plant enzymes. You simply take them before you eat and they help the body to break down proteins in foods. Make sure the label says 'gluten-free'. Of course, you still can't have gluten proteins. I hope this helps!!

gfp Enthusiast
the sad thing is, i cant really say to my freinds that if they had coeliac they wouldnt have a choice, because my dad has probably got it and is already hinting that he might not go completly gluten-free " just because i see the doctor doesnt mean i have to listen to them", im not sure how much he means but i know for a fact if i had that attitude he'd give me the biggest talking too of my life

Well, your Dad isn't you ..... and they don't need to know this!

Comments like they are making are just plain stupid and insensitive. You're obviously a bright girl so why associate with these idiots?

As for being shy and worrying about hurting peoples feelings...

Treat people as THEY treat YOU....

They are not shy about hurting your feelings .... indeed they are deliberatly doing it. Give the lard-asses the same back!

"Oh I'd die if I couldn't eat Pizza" ... "yeah sure lard-arse cos you can't control what you put in your mouth..or it seems what comes out of it.. "

if they argue, tell them, they know you have celiac disease, they know you can't eat this stuff so the only conclusion you can draw is they are deliberately taunting you and the only reason you can think of is ... that they are fat and want everyone to think they are healthy by telling someone who is actually a healthy weight they are too skinny.

nikky Contributor
Oh. Food enzymes do not require a prescription. You can obtain them from any health food store. I get mine from Central Market. They are often label digestive or plant enzymes. You simply take them before you eat and they help the body to break down proteins in foods. Make sure the label says 'gluten-free'. Of course, you still can't have gluten proteins. I hope this helps!!

Ohh.. i think ive heared of something like that, my neice (6 years old) has to have something called mothril (im not sure how its spelt)before each meal.

nikky Contributor
Well, your Dad isn't you ..... and they don't need to know this!

Comments like they are making are just plain stupid and insensitive. You're obviously a bright girl so why associate with these idiots?

As for being shy and worrying about hurting peoples feelings...

Treat people as THEY treat YOU....

They are not shy about hurting your feelings .... indeed they are deliberatly doing it. Give the lard-asses the same back!

"Oh I'd die if I couldn't eat Pizza" ... "yeah sure lard-arse cos you can't control what you put in your mouth..or it seems what comes out of it.. "

if they argue, tell them, they know you have celiac disease, they know you can't eat this stuff so the only conclusion you can draw is they are deliberately taunting you and the only reason you can think of is ... that they are fat and want everyone to think they are healthy by telling someone who is actually a healthy weight they are too skinny.

some of the people that say it arent even my freinds, they are sort of freinds of my freinds (if that makes sense). For example today, i was sitting eating lunch with my freinds and this girl was there that i hardly talk to. One of my freinds asked if i was finished with my foil and i said it was still around the other half of my sandwich, my friend asked why i wasnt eating the sandwich but before i could answer the girl said 'because she's annorexic' :blink:

said girl (gabby) went to primary with me and we got on OK, but now the only real link we have is that she's in the same form as me in school and we have mutual freinds.

my freinds are great in other things, they're always there if someone starts having a go at me for no reason and are always there for you if you have family issues or something, its just they arent the best at health.. or learning the difference beetween funny and plain insulting. (yes, i know, im probably stupid for defending them but its hard not two when ive known some of them for 5 years and others for 14.)

evilette13 Newbie
Ohh.. i think ive heared of something like that, my neice (6 years old) has to have something called mothril (im not sure how its spelt)before each meal.

Try them if you can. It really makes such a difference for me. I just had to try two or three brands until I found the perfect match for my body. Some made my joints hurt and ache others made my tummy turn. Don't be scared. None of them brought on typical celiac symptoms. I think that some of the herbs used are not broken down enough for my then torn-up intestines. I love them so much. Also, my Dr. explained it to me (I also had my gallbladder removed :( ,) that our pancreases are overworked trying to breakdown gluten proteins that some of the other foods tend to pass without much breakdown or absorption, hence celiac malabsorption and failure to thrive and gain weight. Food enzymes help ease work for the pancreas and therefore, eventually, you will gain some weight, your hair will become MUCH thicker and shinier and overall health will improve much more rapidly than without them. If you should forget a meal, it is no big deal. Good luck.

Archived