This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can You Initionally Feel Worse?

glutenfreegirl

glutenfreegirl Enthusiast

Good day

I would never post this any where but here and I am only doing this because I am scared and confussed today..

Is it possible to feel worse before you feel better?

yesterday was my first complete gluten-free day as I was just diagnosed after a year long struggle of suddenly feeling awfull however when I look back now it has been years just very subtle that i never put it all together or knew what celiac was for that matter and I have to say energy wise and bloating I felt much better than before however I had a lot of mucus spitting up from my throat and my nose was draining a fair amount. Could it have been stuck there from the inflammation from the Gluten and now just breaking lose now this AM i am spitting more up and my ears and nose feel fluidy I have been drinking lots of water to try to flush it all out.

Also prediagnosis I was suffering C but yesterday and this AM WOW lots of rumbling and moving down there not D thought is that normal or is somehting else wrong now? I gues I htought I would just start to feel better and better not like this has this happened to anyone else.

I guess I just did not think things would feel worse or have weird things like this happen and I am very scared also noticing my moods off a little feel more sad than yesterday and pressure in my ankles alittle fluidy.

thank you for any advice or help i hate this feeling of fear i thought i would be releaved not scared..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

YES!! I felt worse before better. Think of it this way....anytime you injure your body.....healing can be painful. You stub your toe and it is more sensitive an sore 2 days later. You cut yourself and it hurts while it is healing. Burns are very painful while healing. Your body is healing. So this isnt a bad sign and try not to let yourself think it is. Give it some time....you will feel better!

Hi Shayfl thank you for responding so quickly would it be rude of me to ask what you where feeling when you went throught recovery how did you feel worse and for how long if you remember I hope I am not being rude by asking.

YES!! I felt worse before better. Think of it this way....anytime you injure your body.....healing can be painful. You stub your toe and it is more sensitive an sore 2 days later. You cut yourself and it hurts while it is healing. Burns are very painful while healing. Your body is healing. So this isnt a bad sign and try not to let yourself think it is. Give it some time....you will feel better!
ShayFL Enthusiast

It is the answer that might be rude. :o

I didnt have many GI symptoms before gluten-free. I am mostly neuro. But after I cut it out, I had horrible gas/pains and found myself in the bathroom waaaaaay too much. I was also extremely tired (not normal for me). Moody and irritated for a few weeks. Snappy (also not normal for me) and starving no matter what I ate. It wasnt pretty. But it calmed down after a few weeks and I am still getting better as the days go by.........

samcarter Contributor

Yep---drainage, big time. Your immune system has been working overtime against the gluten, and the drainage is, as my dad so eloquently put it when I was a kid, "the dead soldiers" (white blood cells) left over from the fight. Think of it as a detox. You often feel worse, initially, before you feel better. Without the gluten to fight against, your body can finally work on healing the inflammation.

You will heal fastest if you eat whole, simple foods. Don't jump into gluten-free substitutes for things like bread, crackers, and cereals.

Yes drainage that is a good way to put it :rolleyes:

I feel like i have mucus coming from everywhere!! mylungs my nose and even saw some in my "poop" yes I said it.... I have been peeing tons and feel just down and sluggish and headachey man I htought i was supose to feel better right away but good to know others felt yucky first too...\

thank you

Hummingbird4 Explorer

I wasn't really having symptoms to start with, and after 8 days of being gluten-free, I feel worse. I have bloating, gas, and just feel very blue. Also, I've gained a few pounds that I did NOT need to gain. I'm hoping it's just a transitionary thing, but right now I'm bummed out. I feel your pain, glutenfreegirl. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thank you all for your support

Hummingbird4 I know what you mean any time you want to chat I am hear we can either complain about how crapy we feel, cheer eachother up or just be....where in the word are you... litterally :)?

I am in Canada

Hummingbird4 Explorer
Thank you all for your support

Hummingbird4 I know what you mean any time you want to chat I am hear we can either complain about how crapy we feel, cheer eachother up or just be....where in the word are you... litterally :)?

I am in Canada

I am in Oregon. Do you have any support groups near you? There is a support group in my area and I believe they are meeting tomorrow morning. I'm trying to muster up the courage to go.

aprilc Newbie

Yes, It will take a couple weeks to totally notice the difference, its been maybe 5 months since ive cut out gluten and I can now say that I do feel the difference

Good day

I would never post this any where but here and I am only doing this because I am scared and confussed today..

Is it possible to feel worse before you feel better?

yesterday was my first complete gluten-free day as I was just diagnosed after a year long struggle of suddenly feeling awfull however when I look back now it has been years just very subtle that i never put it all together or knew what celiac was for that matter and I have to say energy wise and bloating I felt much better than before however I had a lot of mucus spitting up from my throat and my nose was draining a fair amount. Could it have been stuck there from the inflammation from the Gluten and now just breaking lose now this AM i am spitting more up and my ears and nose feel fluidy I have been drinking lots of water to try to flush it all out.

Also prediagnosis I was suffering C but yesterday and this AM WOW lots of rumbling and moving down there not D thought is that normal or is somehting else wrong now? I gues I htought I would just start to feel better and better not like this has this happened to anyone else.

I guess I just did not think things would feel worse or have weird things like this happen and I am very scared also noticing my moods off a little feel more sad than yesterday and pressure in my ankles alittle fluidy.

thank you for any advice or help i hate this feeling of fear i thought i would be releaved not scared..

Shelly D. Newbie

I read this post with hope. I have been gluten-free for about a month and at first I felt energetic and alive, zip--zoom, now I need a nap every day to get through. I had to quit my vitamins because they had de-fatted wheat germ in them (company says they're gluten-free, but I'm afraid to chance it) and I've tried some others but they didn't keep my energy up. My body seems to react with other foods now and I don't like it; bananas are the worst. I'll keep at it though in hopes of getting better.

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

I actually felt pretty good the first 2 weeks after going gluten free (although at the time I wasn't totally gluten-free since it was in one of my supplements). Then after about 2 months or so, I'm feeling very tired. I am extremely careful about being gluten-free (changed out the pots and pans, etc). I still get headaches too. But when I look back, I feel better than before I was diagnosed. So I'm sticking with this thing. I don't even think about cheating. Too scared of getting other autoimmune diseases as well as cancer.

So hang in there. The good times are around the corner, I just know it!!! :D

I am also going to get tested for thyroid, vitamin D and hormones.

Archived