This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mcdonalds Fries

mcle8232

mcle8232 Apprentice

From another recent post:

The fries at McD here are always done in a separate fryer so they don't share grease or anything with other things containing gluten.

Given the problems I've had with their fries... I just figured most mcD's do not care about contamination issues (or just aren't aware). I'd love to be able to eat some fries on the road once in awhile. And I wish that there was a good way to convince mcD's to make this 'seperate fryer' idea the RULE rather than the EXCEPTION.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

You always need to check with the McDonalds location, but as a general rule, their fries are made in a dedicated fryer, or a fryer that only contains other gluten-free products. Of course, whenever you eat out, there's a risk of contamination--but McDonalds tends to be better than other fastfood restaurants--I've read the horror stories of people who find an onion ring in the bottom of their Wendy's fries! :o

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yea every McD I have been too they have had a separate fryer I called them as well and they assured me their products they consider gluten free are 100% gluten free. Of course there is always a risk of cross contamination everywhere you eat out so yes you must be careful but I consider McD alot better then other fast food places and restaurants....

celiac3270..my mom and I went to get some fries at BK and I was eating them and I pick something up and it wasn't a fry ..it was an onion ring...but no there was not just one in there...there was 2 in the bottom. I haven't been there in a long time though needless to say...I think McD fries are better anyway :lol:

mcle8232 Apprentice

Thanks guys!! Thats really good news. I'll visit McDs again sometime soon.

It could be that I've just been on a long road to recovery.

Yeah - I can remember eating at BK not too long ago when I didn't know that I had celiac disease - those chicken (breaded!) sandwiches tasted sooooooo good - then put me in sooooooo much pain afterward. Every time I somehow convinced myself that it couldn't have been the sandwich, and I'd go back again for another one :o

cdford Contributor

The only thing I had been told (on the QT of course) is to be more careful about asking about a separate vat if it is late at night or close to closing time. Apparently there are some unscrupulous managers who will begin to fry everything in one vat so that they can clean up more quickly after closing. Woe be unto one who does that and McD's catches them, however, since they are generally committed to quality assurance.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

What would they fry?

The only things they fry are hasbrowns and fries wich are glutenfree. The rest comes pre-done and they heat it up.

minibabe Contributor

My sister worked in a fast food restaurant and she told me that sometimes at closing they would just cook everything in one fryer so that they could clean up faster. But also another thing to think about is that you dont know what someone cooked in that fryer yesterday or the day before etc. so the manager for that day could say that there are only fryes cooked in that oil, but in reality the manager the day before could have cooked somthing in that fryer. Just be really careful with it, because I know if I eat somthing that is not gluten-free I feel it for about two weeks after that. Good luck

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mcle8232 Apprentice
What would they fry? The only things they fry are hasbrowns and fries wich are glutenfree. The rest comes pre-done and they heat it up.

The breaded chicken nuggets come out of the deep fryer dont they?

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

The nuggets, Filet o Fish and Mc Chicken have a separate fryer from the fries and hash browns.

According to McDonalds corporate office, that is the guidelines the restaurants follow.

Whether or not they do depends on the individual McDonalds. It is best to ask.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
The nuggets, Filet o Fish and Mc Chicken have a separate fryer from the fries and hash browns.

Even if they do have a separate frier, how can we be sure that they aren't using the same utensils to grab the fries and the nuggets, Filet o Fish, Mc Chicken. I've worked in the fast food industry and I know that when people are in a rush to get orders done on time they get pretty careless.

My advice:

Go during quiet hours

Ask if the fries are in a separate frier

Ask if utensils are shared

Personally, I don't eat at fast food restaurants because I think the risk of cross contamination is too high.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I am pretty sure that now they do not fry any of the other fried items at the stores anymore. They used to.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

FYI,

They have the big baskets for the fries at McD's.

They have smaller (individual holders) ones for the other food.

They don't use utensils for the fries -- they just sort of take the basket out and "throw" them onto the fry sheet........the nuggets and Fish/Chicken don't ever touch the fry sheet.

Jeez, I remeber alot from my working days at McD's (1st job in high school - 2 months one summer - back in the 90's).

Even then, the fries were separate.

astyanax Rookie

like anytime a celiac eats outside the home, there is some risk.

personally, I don't think i've ever gotten sick off mcdonald's fries and compared to BK and other places (i won't eat fries at BK anymore cos finding onion rings in my fries twice) i really do think they are the best fast food place for us (in my experience)

Donna F Enthusiast

I have gotten sick from McD's fries on 2 occasions, from the same place - which I've also been able to eat successfully at. It could've been from being in the bag with the other food - maybe some breading from the nuggets got in there. It could've been from the people handling it. But after 2 episodes of that, I am officially done with McD's. :angry:

-donna

Guest gillian502

I went up to a McD's counterperson recently just to ask about the whole "do you have a dedicated fryer" issue, and the lady had no idea what I was even talking about or how to answer me. I decided then and there I would never eat at McD's again.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Most mcd's employee's are high school students, or people who are of lower education levels, sometimes even mentally challenged workers. They work for minimal pay. For someone not to understand the term "dedicated fryer" isn't really suprising. Try explaining what dedicated fryer means after you say that or say something like "do you fry your chicken nuggets in the same oil as the fries?". This seems to work much better for me. They understand, I get the answer I need.

I would trust Mcd's over any other fast food place. I have had chicken nuggets in my fries at wendy's <_<

-Jessica :rolleyes:

celiac3270 Collaborator

I do the same thing, Jessica...the "Are your fries cooked in separate oil from the nuggets?" thing.....

It's a risk to eat out--but eating out anywhere is a risk. I will eat at McDonalds, but would never eat at some of the other fastfood chains, such as Wendys and Burger King.

elainegl Newbie

So far I've had no problem at a McD's, except the one at the airport (which isn't big enough to have separate fryers). I ask the same way, questioning whether the fries are cooked with the nuggets.

Elaine

JJL Newbie

Don't McDonald's make onion rings any more? Because I know those would fry next to the fries, and probably be served with the same baskets and scoops as the fries. That's how you always end up with onion rings in your fries at BK, as far as I can tell.

On a related note, do we know for sure that McD's don't add glutenous flavorings or whatnot to their fries? I'm guessing they don't, since nobody here seems to have any problem eating them, but would like to know for sure. I'm cautious about fries these days, after eating some curly fries that I didn't realise were breaded at a local theater.

(Dumb mistake, I realise. But I'm still new to this stuff. I am quickly becoming more and more suspicious of everything that I eat, no matter how simple it seems.)

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

The McDonalds ones I know for sure are gluten free. They even have a list of their gluten-free products on their website. I consider them a pretty safe place for their gluten free items. I eat hash browns and fries there all the time. I have never heard of them selling onion rings...even if they do they have their fries done in a separate fryer. I don't know that other fast food chains do that. I don't trust places like BK and Wendys anymore(except for frostys) but I do trust McDonalds and I have never had a problem with their gluten-free food.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yea--they say they're gluten-free, so unless they're lying to us :P, then they fries are gluten-free. And such a large chain would not take the risk of lying to consumers...it would be terrible for their name.

Here's McD's gluten-free list in the US:

Open Original Shared Link

• 2 weeks later...
grolla Newbie

Perhaps not McD, but concerning fries, you are barking up the wrong tree with the fryer dilemma...Almost all fries, which aren't hand cut and made in house have a coating of flour. We own a restaurant and although we don't serve fries, it's amazing what I've learned about what goes into pre-processed food. Flour is added to most potato products for two purposes: First to prevent sticking together when frozen, and second to make the fried product more crispy longer. I would warn against all french fries unless you see the potatoes they came from.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

No offence,but I don't think these large companies are going to lie. They have too much at risk. Some fries do have flour, but the companies will tell you that such as sonic drive in. I called them about a year ago and they were very honest and said their fries were coated.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Guest ajlauer

I would think McD's would be honest in the ingredient labeling now. About a year ago, there was some "scam" about unlabeled beef flavoring (or something) in the fries or fry oil. The jewish community, I think it was, caused a big stir over it. I'm sure there was a settlement and some money exchange involved. So at this point - I would trust whatever their ingredient information lists. But again.... it varies by the individual McD's. The average High School student employee wouldn't give a darn what was cooked with what, and won't care if you get sick. I've worked at food places before where people PURPOSELY contaminated foods if the customer made a special request. They don't like the "hassle" of being asked a question!!! Sad, but true!

darlindeb25 Collaborator
;) ummmmmmm my son is the manager of a Mcdonalds in Michigan and he says they have been safe with the fryers for a very long time and I might add--I have never gotten sick from McD fries--I am now living in New York and have not had any fries for 3 months now--but even here when I visited before I was fine--I have been gluten-free for almost 4 yrs now--I definately would trust their fries----Deb

Archived