This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Scope Coming Up Really Nervous

ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I have to have the colonoscopy that they couldn't complete a few years ago due to inadaquate anesthesia and a twisted colon. Not something I can put off any longer as my 'lumpy gut' has traveled and although I have no digestive symptoms things are getting uncomfortable. Anyway my last experience was horrible. I had a reaction to the prep and the twilight drug they gave me didn't work. The whole thing was a nightmare.

This time there will be an anesthesiologist there and they are putting me completely out.

My questions are these:

I plan on going on a liquid diet for 3 days before hand, the doctor only said 1 but I think the prep will be easier if I have less solid food in my gut. I am not worried about getting hungrey, I almost never do, but I am wondering if anyone knows of a gluten and soy free meal replacement? I am not a big juice drinker but if I have to I will go with just juice and broth but the first 2 days I'd like to have a protein source.

Also has anyone ever taken Moviprep? This doctor said it requires less liquid to be drunk and will be easier on my system than the GoLightly and Dulcolax combo the other doctor gave me. A nurse suggested I put a packet of Crystal Light in it, does anyone know if that is gluten free?

One last off topic note- this new GI doctor seems really knowledgable about celiac. He is the only doctor I have ever talked to who would admit that the testing leaves much to be desired and stated that he reccommends a trial on the diet for people even if blood and biopsy are negative if they have celiac related symptoms. He also said he diagnoses a lot of celiacs. My last Gi stated he almost never saw any. Boy am I glad I switched to this doctor.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

leadmeastray88 Contributor

Hi!

I don't know anything about the prep part because I've never had a colonoscopy before...however I think the 3 day liquid diet is a good idea, makes sense!

Crystal Light, to my most recent knowledge, is gluten free. It's a Kraft brand and they will clearly state ingredients so you should be okay with that...it IS yummy stuff! :)

Good luck with your scope!! :)

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Ravenwood,

I never done did that colonscopy thing, but my sister did not long ago. She seemed to think it was not too big a deal. She did both the endo and colon the same day. My sister isn't a member on the board though.

Here is recent thread about the juice that might help.

Preparing My Self For Movi-prep..... Poop Juice...

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=57647

I hope it goes well for you. Sis said she just had a little soreness in the throat afterwards.

nutralady2001 Newbie

I've had both scopes done, can't help you with prep as am in Australia and can't remember the names

The whole thing though wasn't as "scary" as I thought it would be, neither the preparation nor the actual procedures. One minute I was awake in the room they were doing the scopes in, the next I was waking up back in recovery LOL

Lisa Mentor

Smart Water from Glaceau it really good. It's vapor distilled water plus electrolytes which might be helpful.

I wish you well and hope that things go smoothly. Mine was a breeze, but the prep was BLA.

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

The Special K20 protein water is gluten-free. Maybe you could try that?

The prep is very unpleasant. I think the liquid diet is a great idea beforehand. If you can stand it, you might go low residue the week before as well. Also, my dr said once what's coming out looks the same as what went in, you can stop. As far as the procedure, it's one of those things that SHOULDN'T be complicated.

Best wishes for your good health!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks for the replies. I'll get some of the waters that were mentioned and give them a try. This will be my third scope. The first was a breeze, the second was a nightmare. I do so hope that this one goes as smoothly as the first one. I noticed when I got the records from the doctor that did the first two that he failed to include the dulcolax in the records, although I have the original prep papers that said I had to take it. I am hoping the reaction I had was to the dulcolax, pretty sure it was as I wan't sick for weeks after the first one.

I am off to look for info on low residue foods and at this point I am really thankful for the alprazolam, I don't think I could even consider this without it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Puddy Explorer

The actual test itself was no problem for me. I was out like a light. But I did have a pretty scary reaction to the prep the night before. I thought my husband was going to have to take me to the emergency room. I had to take Miralax and Dulcolax. When I told the doctor the next day she said some of her other patients had a bad reaction to the Dulcolax. Since then, my friend had her colonoscopy with the same doctor I used and said that they had switched over to the MoviePrep Same thing with my sister and her doctor. She used the Dulcolax method the first time and the 2nd time, they had her take MoviePrep. I'm sure you'll be fine now that you don't have to take the Dulcolax. Good Luck!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I only have one suggestion. If you're going to be on a liquid diet for that long, I would purchase some whey protein and use that, not any premade shakes. Much more 'food-like' than most of that other stuff. Oh, and you may want to buy some desitin, because with all the liquid your 'output' will be very acidic, and you'll want something.... soothing.

If it makes you feel any better, I was awake for my colonoscopy. The nurses thought I was hilarious. Seriously lovely drugs.....

kerds Newbie
I only have one suggestion. If you're going to be on a liquid diet for that long, I would purchase some whey protein and use that, not any premade shakes. Much more 'food-like' than most of that other stuff. Oh, and you may want to buy some desitin, because with all the liquid your 'output' will be very acidic, and you'll want something.... soothing.

If it makes you feel any better, I was awake for my colonoscopy. The nurses thought I was hilarious. Seriously lovely drugs.....

Are you a young person? Have you done without solid food that long and not gotten weak? maybe my concerns are coming from my last colonoscopy prep weakness. Of course I had been having much BIG D!! Just concerned for you. Rots o Ruck...kerds

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks for the replies. I ended up just eating very lightly and low residue foods rather than a full fast. Although the Moviprep was expensive I do not seem to have had any nasty reactions to it, well other than what it is supposed to do. :D I had the procedure today and they used an anesthesiologist and put me out this time. The hardest part was waiting for the procedure to be done, they had an emergency with the person right before me so it wasn't anything that could be prevented but by the time they get the IV line in and your on the gurney time just seems to drag. I am glad I stopped putting it off as they did find and remove a polyp (which is at the lab of course) and the longer those things are growing the higher chance of developing colon cancer.

Puddy Explorer

Glad everything went well and you don't have to worry about that anymore!

Lisa Mentor

Also glad everything went well. :)

Archived