Dano

Too Much Details For A Newb - Where To *start*?

Rate this topic

Hello,

Me:

I know from experience and a homeopath that I have a wheat sensitivity and dairy sensitivity. I also experience fuzzy thinking when I don't eat 'clean'... so I'm here to learn what I need to do and all the topics seem advanced, for people who are already 'in' the scene.

My question - the topics seem advanced, I am looking for something like 'Newbs Start Here', particulary:

* Simple place to begin - maybe a short list of gross offenders to avoid right away

* Simple reference for what has/doesn't have gluten (types of food mostly, brands as a secondary priority)

* ADHD- and neuro-specific tips

I'm not threatened by the idea of changing my eating dramatically; I'm daunted by not having a simple place to start!

Thanks..!

Hello,

Me:

I know from experience and a homeopath that I have a wheat sensitivity and dairy sensitivity. I also experience fuzzy thinking when I don't eat 'clean'... so I'm here to learn what I need to do and all the topics seem advanced, for people who are already 'in' the scene.

My question - the topics seem advanced, I am looking for something like 'Newbs Start Here', particulary:

* Simple place to begin - maybe a short list of gross offenders to avoid right away

* Simple reference for what has/doesn't have gluten (types of food mostly, brands as a secondary priority)

I'm not threatened by the idea of changing my eating dramatically; I'm daunted by not having a simple place to start!

Thanks..!

For a simple place to start, start with foods you already eat that are gluten free naturally. Chex cereals that are clearly marked gluten free, you can have for breakfast. You can also eat eggs, potatoes, and bacon or fresh fruit. For lunch fresh salads, tuna rolls (tuna wrapped in a lettuce leaf with veggies. I put a tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste on the tuna.), or spring rolls. For dinner, baked chicken with mashed potatoes and brocolli or other veggie. You can have pretty much any meat as long is not breaded with gluten filled breading. I just usually marinate my meats. Bok Choy soy sauce is the only soy sauce I have found that is gluten free. If you want bread, I would recommend baking your own. I have found that the store bought gluten free bread is not very appetizing. I use the gluten free pantry sandwich bread mix. You can use cornstartch to make soups and sauces thicker instead of flour. It doesn't affect taste.

Welcome. Can answer your questions better with more info. Are you an experienced cook or not? Will you be sharing your house with gluten eating people? Keep it simple at first. Fresh fruit, veges, meat and fish, eggs, ect. Some processes gluten-free foods are good - and some are horrible, but it would help to know where you're at now.

Hello,

Me:

Thanks..!

Hi Dano,

I was only diagnosed less than two months ago, and only been gluten-free and dairy free for two months and 4 days. :) So I know where you are coming from. One of the quickest places to start for was a book. A friend of ours whose husband and one of their kids has celiac gave loaned me a copy of 'Gluten-Free Living for Dummies'. I kid you not. I read it through, and promptly ordered my own copy from Amazon. I has been a wonderful starting point and helped my wife understand a lot of this as well.

Hello,

Me:

Thanks..!

Bread products, BBQ sauces I have not found one that I haven't reacted to yet!

Avoid most alcohols- check labels and call the manufacturer!

Most cereals you can NOT eat there are a few though like the Chex brands, Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles

have been proven to be safe.

All Pasta is a big NO unless you get Rice or Corn based. I have been eating DeBoles brand and find

a lot of other selections at our local health food market and larger grocery store chains.

Avoid most potato chips, crackers, and snacks unless they are clearly marked gluten-free

(You can check out Glutino Brand for gluten-free snacks and cookies)

Avoid any and all cookies, cakes, donuts, prepackaged tator tots/french fries -unless you make them from scratch.

Walmart's Great Value brand clearly marks their foods Gluten Free and a lot of their stuff is including pizza sauce, spaghetti sauces. Most classico sauces are Gluten Free and the ones that are clearly label it. Walmart also carries noodles by DeBoles that are Gluten Free and inexpensive a 3 serving box= 1.41 all other stores you will pay 5.00 plus for that pasta. These stores also sell mixes, rice flowers and stuff to use as alternatives in cooking.

I too am a newb just a few months into it and make mistakes still sometimes I am not sure where those mistakes are but more and more manufacture's are beginning to label their foods and giving us alternatives.

Good luck and when in doubt read the labels if it doesn't say gluten-free then don't risk it!!

Many suitable food products exist, and most of them don't actually say "Gluten Free" on the label.

Try these links for useful information:

Unsafe ingredients.

Safe ingredients.

Here's a list of companies that have a clear gluten policy. If you don't see "wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, oats" on the labels, its not there, or hidden in "flavors, starches, etc." There are some large companies on that list, including Kraft and Unilever.

I am not a supporter of lists--they are out of date the minute that you print them. Formulas are constantly changing. That is why I like to buy from companies who will label clearly (see the third link above). Always read the label.

I as well am not too sure where to start. I am 31 and have a long list of medical problems that are really hindering my progress in life. I have always battled with diarrhea and severe bloating and gas. I also have early signs of osteoporosis/osteoarthritis. I was recently looking up AVN a disease my mother has in both hips as I wanted to see if it was hereditary and for the second time in my life I was introduced to celiac. I started looking more into it and I have just about every symptom right down to having a child that was growth restricted or IUGR intrauterine growth retardation(for unknown causes) ; fortunately he is now healthy and seems to be growing fine. The biggest issue is that my doctor wanted to just put me on the medications to help the diarrhea and that was it. What ever happened to getting to the source of the problem. When I mentioned celiac she started to jump around and try to make me second guess myself. I guess after telling her that I was going to start wearing depends when I get in my car is what made her decide to test me. Not sure of the results yet and this is where I am at. Where do i go from here? I have a military provider who fortunately has recently been to the conference and has the new numbers on celiac so I am able help them to get the ball rolling about this disease and hopefully getting it more awareness. What do I do in the mean time and should I start going gluten-free now? I am very emotional about this since my younger years were full of pain, embarrassment, and feeling like I could always do better in school but never knew what was wrong with me. I a brother who is just like me and I am hoping that he will get tested as well. Please help me try to get a better grasp on this before I find out if this is what i have. :(

Well, sounds like you could go dairy free right away. That shouldn't affect your celiac testing if you do it, but might help reduce some GI or neuro symptoms.

If you do want to be tested for celiac though, you need to keep eating gluten until the blood is drawn, and or the endoscopy and biopsy are done. The antibodies levels will drop if you stop eating gluten, and then the blood tests won't show accurate numbers. When you get your blood drawn, it would be good to ask them to check for vitamin levels also. Celiac can cause malabsorbtion of nutrients, which can affect a persons body in many ways. There are numerous threads in the pre-diagnosis area on testing that might help.