This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free And Yeast Infections

Chalula88

Chalula88 Apprentice

Hi Everyone!

I have been lingering on these forums for a while, but just joined today. :)

I'm really glad I found this community!

A little about me:

I am 19, I have celiac disease, and I have been gluten free for about 4 months. I get the horrible stomach issues, depression and anxiety from any level of gluten - including cross contamination which I am now super careful about.

I have been glutened 3x in my first four months, which isn't too bad! Two of the times were after eating at my mom's house and she swore to me the food was gluten free...since then I have been checking myself! And once was cross contamination from jalepeno potato chips - made in a wheat facility.

My symptoms were severe, but my level of gluten when glutened was super small.

So anyway....my problem:

Before going gluten free I had only had one yeast infection in my life. After going gluten free I have had one every single month! Right before or during my period it begins and it ends the day my period ends.

It is not like the yeast infection I had before, the itching and burning are very mild unless I start rubbing or scratching the area and even then it is not as bad as my previous one. Only two of the four times had any of the chunky discharge and it was a very small amount - maybe a half tablespoon on one day only.

My biggest complaint is that my vagina swells and hurts really badly! I use a menstrual cup (reusable rubber cup, inserted like a tampon, environmentally friendly :D ) and on the last day or two of my period I have to cry a little as I try to force the thing out because it is so swollen and tender.

Do you think this is a new infection every month or one infection that keeps sticking around and flaring up during that time?

I have heard that corn, potatoes, fruit and sugar can aggravate yeast infections, is this true?

I am not eating any more potatoes since going gluten free, but I have increased my consumption of corn products: I eat some form of corn every day or two either in gluten free breading, tortillas, or chips.

I don't eat fruit because it's expensive and I'm not the biggest fan.

I don't like sweets, but I do like sweet drinks. I can't seem to stop drinking sugary beverages, but I have also started getting upset stomachs when I eat or drink things with sugar (pure sugar only, corn syrup is not a problem). Could this have something to do with the yeast infections? Or do you think this is affects of the last time I was glutened (about 7 days ago)? Or just an isolated problem?

I am willing to cut out anything that will offer me relief! My worry is that if I cut out corn and sugar I won't have anything high in calories to eat and I have been dropping weight like crazy.

Sorry so long! Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Many years ago I used a menstrual cup. I figured out I was allergic to the material they made it with.

If it hurts you to use it, please stop using it. Some how you body is not tolerating it.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi and welcome! :D

I had much the same problem--I was never one to get yeast infections. I'm much older than you, but I think I may have had 2 that required medication.

After going gluten-free, I notice I get those mild symptoms if I eat a lot of gluten-free baked goods or drink soda a couple days in a row.

For now, why not try cutting the sugar in all forms and see if it makes a difference. The cup may also be aggravating this--maybe switch to pads for a month and see if that's it.

Chalula88 Apprentice

Thanks for your responses!

I thought about the cup being the issue too, but the pain started before inserting the cup 2 of the 4 times.

I have also been using the cup for a year with no issues until going gluten free.

If I cut out sugar do I have to cut out corn syrup as well? Sorry if that is a silly question....I just feel like everything has corn syrup in it!

jerseyangel Proficient
If I cut out sugar do I have to cut out corn syrup as well? Sorry if that is a silly question....I just feel like everything has corn syrup in it!

It seems like it's everywhere, doesn't it? <_<:rolleyes:

Yes, you want to cut way down on sugar, corn syrup and anything that contains a lot of it like cookies, cakes, soda, and the like. Remember that your body recognizes starches as sugar, too.

Not forever--just to get to where you have no more symptoms. Then, you can try adding back things a little at a time and see where your "threshhold" is.

Chalula88 Apprentice

Okay, thank you!

I will try that and see where it gets me!

I actually don't like cake, cookies, chocolate, or candy, so don't eat any of it. I just drink soda and Kool-Aid, but that was also in an effort to gain weight...I have size 0 clothes that don't fit anymore and my family and boyfriend are constantly shoving food on me.

What high calorie foods can I eat without sugar or too much starch?

jerseyangel Proficient
What high calorie foods can I eat without sugar or too much starch?

Nuts and nut butters if you can tolerate them--peanut or almond are easily available in the regular grocery store. Avocados are good, too. Cheeses--if you can do dairy--full fat yogurt would be good for the yeast infection, too. I love the plain Greek kind with some fruit and nuts mixed in.

Use good oils like extra virgin olive on your salads and veggies. Think nutritious as well as high calorie. Sugar adds calories, but no nutrition ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Chalula88 Apprentice

Thanks so much! :)

tarnalberry Community Regular

Are you certain that it's a yeast infection? Do you have the discharge that usually comes with it? The smell?

If it's a recurrent yeast infection (diagnosed via a sample under the microscope) or something else, you might need to find another way to treat it. BV (bacterial vaginosis) sometimes can feel fairly similar to a yeast infection, but is different. And there are other issues that can cause pain (and swelling, because swelling can just go along with pain). It's worth trying to see a doctor on the issue (and if you want, you can find a midwife who does standard gyn services, depending on the state you are in).

ang1e0251 Contributor

For healthy dietary fats, eat butter, never margarine. Also avocado to any foods you can. Coconut milk and coconut oil are bother excellant. The great thing about coconut is that it contains certain fats that are also present in breast milk. These are very important for our bodies but hard to get in other foods. If you can tolerate dairy, always have full fat milk and add a bit of cream to it every time also. Your body really needs dietary fat and it's harmful for you to be too underweight or be any weight but not get enough fats in your system.

jststric Contributor

I'm sorry if I repeat something someone else said....I didn't take the time to read all the replies you've gotten so far. Sugar feeds infection. Period. Starch, as in potato, becomes sugar in the system. Corn has natural sugars. Alot of foods are high in sugar or turn to sugar as digesting. I would cut those type of foods out and make sure you get your infection gone for good. I think you are fighting the same infection that just can't go away because its being fed sugar. And the sugar from your drinks.

Chalula88 Apprentice

I can tolerate dairy, so I will try that for some added fat.

I don't believe it is bacterial vaginosis because I don't have any discharge or significant odor. As I said above, two of the four times I had the characteristic curdly discharge that comes with a yeast infection, but only a very small amount of it.

Chalula88 Apprentice

Another question.....could it be that I have leaky gut? I have never been tested.

Also, should I eliminate dairy? A site about leaky gut says that dairy feeds yeast....

tarnalberry Community Regular
I can tolerate dairy, so I will try that for some added fat.

I don't believe it is bacterial vaginosis because I don't have any discharge or significant odor. As I said above, two of the four times I had the characteristic curdly discharge that comes with a yeast infection, but only a very small amount of it.

only half the time, and only a little bit... I wouldn't be so quick to assume it's a yeast infection. at the least, I would absolutely get it tested. sometimes, there's nothing for it but to treat with medication (hard as it is on the system, if I manage to develop a yeast infection, I *have* to take oral antifungals), but genetian violet and garlic are natural remedies that you can try as well.

zeta-lilly Apprentice

Hey, I don't think anyone mentioned this yet, but if you have an issue with yeast, you should cut out all sources of yeast in your diet. Mushrooms, yeast in your bread, mold in cheese, it all feeds it too. I had the same problem with recurrent yeast infections after I went gluten free and I think it was because I upped my intake of dairy to make up for the missing bread. Apparently dairy is a big no-no when you have issues with yeast. Here's a link to the yeast connection website's dietary recommendations. The diet they suggest looks pretty strict, but you might be able to do it for a couple of weeks around your period to see if it makes a difference. Oh, and take a probiotic.

http://www.yeastconnection.com/fighting_diet.html

Aabye Newbie

I had this, too.

I cut out ALL fruit and sugar and basicaly lived a miserable existence.

So all I ate was:

Rice cakes (organic)

Fish

salad.

Day after day.

No dairy, nothing.

THen I learned that rice is not good for yeast either. So I just gave up. I can't stop eating rice!

So now I just eat gluten free.

I eat black berries now and eggs, because I was too hungry totally off fruit and sardines every meal can make you batty. Those are the only things I have added and I feel better.

For the yeast, now I take cranberry (make sure it is is gluten free and organic) and also pro-biotics. They take care of it and I can still eat my berries and eggs. But no to other forms of dairy for me. I don't miss it. Drank goat milk a month ago and could hardly move. No energy. AWFUL. No milk for me.

Life for me with celiac is terrible hard. I was dxed late. So I can't reduce it any more. It is already rather grim diet!

ang1e0251 Contributor

I don't see any other vegetables in your list. Can you not eat steamed vegetables? What about beans and nuts? Seems like you are very limited and that would help you. Can you juice foods like carrots and parsley? These are very nutritional. Also fermented cabbage is very good for digestion.

Lisa16 Collaborator

I used to have this problem too. I would go to the doctor and take the "pink pill" and it would go away, only to come right back. This went on for over a miserable year. Mine tested positive for both yeast and bacteria. They told my my immune system was compromised and tested me for diabetes. Of course at the time they didn't know it was really celiac disease.

Finally I got a good doctor who gave me a fool proof cure. She said it is wrong to think of this as an "infection" because it is really an imbalance.

Go to a compounding pharmacy and get a bottle of boric acid powder and gelatin caplets. Make up a bunch of boric acid "suppositories" and put them in twice a day until it clears up. If you have a really bad infection, this could take more than a week. I will warn you, it is messy. But it works. Then you move down to one a day and finally one every few days until the balance is restored.

Oh, I would ditch the cup thing. It certainly can't be helping the situation.

Good luck!

Heidi S. Rookie

I had a similar problem and it was related to soda and not getting enough "dry" time.

I would definitely see the doctor to have the bacteria cultured for what antibiotic to use. I personally, can not drink more than a soda every other day without problems due to the sugar. I buy and drink a lot of cranberry juice regularly. 1/2 water 1/2 juice to lessen the sugar. Make sure it is 100% and Northland(found at all grocery stores in my area including walmart) is the darkest cranberry seems to help me the most!

About the "dry" time I know this is personal but make sure you sleep without underwear or cotton underwear several nights before and after your menstruation. I know I can not wear lace underwear ever without problems.

Additionally, My husband and I very careful with interactions, not what you dream of romance but we make sure we shower normally before and after all personal interactions and make sure you urinate as well at least 15 mins after any contact. Did you change soap products upon going gluten-free? I have to use the same soap everyday no changes but upon going gluten free and changing soap I had to find one that did not give me a problem. Differently soaps have different chemical ph's that can alter your environment. Make sure you wash your hands very often when using the cup b/c you may be exposing yourself to bacterial changes or your soap maybe reacting to the cup, if you changed it as well.

Also keep in mind glutening can also set off painful problems in that area, especially diarrhea of any kind. I would avoid any sort of wet wipe in that area or perfumes and change your bed sheets atleast once every 2 weeks, preferably once a week. Have you changed your laundry products? Some detergents on my personal areas will cause me problems.

I don't know if any of that will help, trying to think outside the box, but hope things get better for you! They really suck!

• 7 years later...
krystannkaty Newbie
On 9/15/2009 at 0:25 PM, Chalula88 said:

Thanks for your responses!

I thought about the cup being the issue too, but the pain started before inserting the cup 2 of the 4 times.

I have also been using the cup for a year with no issues until going gluten free.

I am having the same issue and its only been a week, all of a sudden I am having this discharge and itching!!!I (I have also been going through PMS this week)  I have done nothing different,  I am married and have the same partner, so an STD is not on my radar.  Does anyone know if there is a correlation with cutting gluten and yeast issues at first because my body is telling there is....

• 7 months later...
Down with the Pastryarchy Newbie

Just because no one mentioned it, I would suggest evaluating how you are disinfecting your cup between cycles. It is important to boil it (for 7 mins) or soak it in hydrogen peroxide (overnight, fully submerged). 

If that has been ruled out, your doctor has checked for other possible infections/confirmed it is a yeast infection, then you would proceed with treating that according to your practitioner's recommendations.

I just want to mention that as a person who is on the light weight end of things going into diagnosis, it is really important that you focus on healing your gut. This will allow your body to start absorbing more nutrients again, and allow you to stay at a healthy weight. I've found www.autoimmunewellness.com really helpful because it focuses on whole foods, nutrient density, and healing. 

Archived