strawberrygm

My First Issue With The School And Celiac

Rate this topic

Last year, while still in elementary school, we arranged a plan that I felt was the easiest and safest for all involved. I would send my daughters meals, she would have access to her teachers fridge and microwave. She would be allowed to get up from class 5 min early to prepare her meal.

When entering middle school this fall, we made the same arrangement. She was in band for a few weeks, but didnt like it, so she was swapped to PE. The leaving early plan worked wonderful. Now this semester she is in Health class prior to her lunch block. Yesterday her Health teacher would not allow her to leave early to warm up her lunch. She gave the reason was that they had a guest speaker in the class and did not want her leaving to interrupt him. This guest speaker is in this class 2 days a week every week!

I called the teacher after school, and she said that she would not let her leave early those 2 days, but the other 3 would be fine. She claims my daughter should still have time to prepare her meal.

I have subbed in this school, I know, and my daughter knows, that she will not in fact have time to get her items put in her locker, get back to the fridge, prepare her meal, find a seat, go back and get her drink, utensils, etc and then eat. She wont be able to stay late in lunch because she has a class right after lunch, plus another lunch group is coming in.

We do not have a 504 in place.

We have sent daughter with her lunch to be heated again today, to see what happens. Guest speaker is there on wed and thurs, so we are expecting her to be turned down again, giving us more leverage when we speak to the principal.

Salads are served in the lunch room, so she was able to eat a small meal, but the salads are not large, thats all she can have if not allowed to her own foods, and its cold!

I am anxious to hear your advice.....

Last year, while still in elementary school, we arranged a plan that I felt was the easiest and safest for all involved. I would send my daughters meals, she would have access to her teachers fridge and microwave. She would be allowed to get up from class 5 min early to prepare her meal.

When entering middle school this fall, we made the same arrangement. She was in band for a few weeks, but didnt like it, so she was swapped to PE. The leaving early plan worked wonderful. Now this semester she is in Health class prior to her lunch block. Yesterday her Health teacher would not allow her to leave early to warm up her lunch. She gave the reason was that they had a guest speaker in the class and did not want her leaving to interrupt him. This guest speaker is in this class 2 days a week every week!

I called the teacher after school, and she said that she would not let her leave early those 2 days, but the other 3 would be fine. She claims my daughter should still have time to prepare her meal.

I have subbed in this school, I know, and my daughter knows, that she will not in fact have time to get her items put in her locker, get back to the fridge, prepare her meal, find a seat, go back and get her drink, utensils, etc and then eat. She wont be able to stay late in lunch because she has a class right after lunch, plus another lunch group is coming in.

We do not have a 504 in place.

We have sent daughter with her lunch to be heated again today, to see what happens. Guest speaker is there on wed and thurs, so we are expecting her to be turned down again, giving us more leverage when we speak to the principal.

Salads are served in the lunch room, so she was able to eat a small meal, but the salads are not large, thats all she can have if not allowed to her own foods, and its cold!

I am anxious to hear your advice.....

I would fight it out with the principal. In the meantime maybe you can pack her lunch in a thermos so it will be warm at lunch time?

I would duke this out. That is outrageous. And it's the health teacher?! Talk about irony! As if the health teacher can't let the special speaker know what it is about. I would fight this tooth and nail. We aren't talking 15 minutes - but five minutes, and to prepare lunch so she won't be sick. I don't even have this issue (no celiac children) and I'm behind annoyed on your daughter's behalf!