This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Leaky Gut

Wolicki

Wolicki Enthusiast

I have leaky gut as a result of Celiac. For the last seven months, I have been taking probiotics, two capsules every morning.

My question is: should I be taking more than two a day? Any other supplements that are definitely safe to take for Celiac? Thanks for the input!

Janie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jackay Enthusiast

I have leaky gut as a result of Celiac. For the last seven months, I have been taking probiotics, two capsules every morning.

My question is: should I be taking more than two a day? Any other supplements that are definitely safe to take for Celiac? Thanks for the input!

Janie

How were you diagnosed with Leaky Gut. I've heard the term but don't know much about it.

Wolicki Enthusiast

How were you diagnosed with Leaky Gut. I've heard the term but don't know much about it.

My doc didn't do any testing, officially, just looked at symptoms. He said it's very common in Celiac. I was very ill for about 10 years. I developed about 25 different intolerances when I went gluten free, most of which have resolved.

Stools still soft most of the time, sometimes food doesn't get completely digested, stuff like that.

My biggest problem is that I am not properly processing protein, and it is causing massive edema. Doc says it is because the protein is leaking out of my intestines :blink:

missy'smom Collaborator

My doc didn't do any testing, officially, just looked at symptoms. He said it's very common in Celiac. I was very ill for about 10 years. I developed about 25 different intolerances when I went gluten free, most of which have resolved.

Stools still soft most of the time, sometimes food doesn't get completely digested, stuff like that.

My biggest problem is that I am not properly processing protein, and it is causing massive edema. Doc says it is because the protein is leaking out of my intestines :blink:

I suspect this is what's going on with me. Someone recommended Dr. Houston's enzymes. I'm still checking them out but they look interesting. The enzymes are supposed to break down the proteins. Open Original Shared Link

jaknhk Newbie

I have a number of food intolerances and am optimistic to hear that yours went away after giving up gluten. Could you tell me how long it took and what kind of food intolerances you had? Did you take any supplements that helped? Any information woul dbe appreciated - I am at my wits end!!

Wolicki Enthusiast

I have a number of food intolerances and am optimistic to hear that yours went away after giving up gluten. Could you tell me how long it took and what kind of food intolerances you had? Did you take any supplements that helped? Any information woul dbe appreciated - I am at my wits end!!

The original list of intolerances: ALL grains, including rice, nuts and seeds, potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, beans, dairy, lettuce and spinach. Good news is all came back, except I am off dairy again because of a glutening. Just took time. I took enzymes religiously and marshmallow root. I just started L glutamine, don't know if it's helping yet.

I would still like to know, for those of you who take probiotics, how often and how much?

jaknhk Newbie

The original list of intolerances: ALL grains, including rice, nuts and seeds, potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, beans, dairy, lettuce and spinach. Good news is all came back, except I am off dairy again because of a glutening. Just took time. I took enzymes religiously and marshmallow root. I just started L glutamine, don't know if it's helping yet.

I would still like to know, for those of you who take probiotics, how often and how much?

Thanks for the information - my foods are similar. I tried glutamine powder but reacted to it so stopped. Which enzymes did you take? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

What kind of enzymes did you take? Was there some way that you could tell that they were working? If you don't mind sharing more. I'd be interested. As I said, I'm thinking about taking some.

digmom1014 Enthusiast

Janie

I have also have leaky gut and have been gluten-free for over 2 years. I noticed a correlation between my caffienne intake and soft stools. I found some support on the web. (but, what can't you find to support any conclusions!) I found that green tea was also a culprit! Try elimiating those, if you haven't already.

Wolicki Enthusiast

I take NOW brand plant enzymes with lactase, protease, papain and bromelain. I find that I don't see undigested food in the "end" with these, and much less bloating and gas.

I think I refuse to give up coffee :ph34r: Gosh, I sure do hope that's not it :blink::blink: God can't be that cruel, LOL.

jackay Enthusiast

How did you figure out your 25 different intolerances? I had blood work to pinpoint mine but question the results. Some of the acceptable foods seem to be causing me problems. There were about 70 foods, herbs and spices that I tested positive to. If I eliminate the acceptable ones that I think bother me, I am left with very little to eat. On top of that, my doctor wants me rotating my foods on a four day rotation cycle. I've lost four pounds in the four weeks since I've started this elimination and rotation diet. I know I am not getting enough calories.

How soon did you try adding back foods? I would love to reintroduce bananas and rice. Unfortunately, I haven't been off rice completely as it is in my L-glutamine, melatonin and probiotics. Wish they didn't need to put fillers in so many supplements. :(

Wolicki Enthusiast

After the gigantic medical bills during my odyssey to find what is wrong with me, I couldn't afford the special testing for intolerances. I did it the old fashioned way, with an elimination diet and a food diary. It sucked. Peanut butter was the first food to come back, at about 2 months, then dairy at 4. Rice, beans at around 4, nightshades at 7. Woohoo on the nightshades! Boy, I missed tomatoes! Cauliflower and brocolli, very recently. I must admit, I am still afraid of them, though I've had both a few times. I got such terrible gas pains from those two before. I am not in love with those two, and there are many more veggies I adore, which I tolerate well, so I am not crying over those two.

missy'smom Collaborator

I take NOW brand plant enzymes with lactase, protease, papain and bromelain. I find that I don't see undigested food in the "end" with these, and much less bloating and gas.

I think I refuse to give up coffee :ph34r: Gosh, I sure do hope that's not it :blink::blink: God can't be that cruel, LOL.

Thanks. One of my primary hesitations in starting on something, aside from being sure that it works, is that I don't want to be indefinitely forking ot $ to someone for their product. I don't want to just treat the symptoms. I want to find a way to heal this!

I'm having to admit that tea and alcohol are not kind to my system lately and I really think I should give them up but they're the only indulgences or free foods I have left! Everything else has to be limited. :angry: I don't know if it's GI issue or the dehydrating effect they can have or the depletion of certain nutrients that they can cause. I don't drink massive quantities of either but I'm maintaining a VERY delicate balance here so it probably wouldn't take much.

jaknhk Newbie

Thanks. One of my primary hesitations in starting on something, aside from being sure that it works, is that I don't want to be indefinitely forking ot $ to someone for their product. I don't want to just treat the symptoms. I want to find a way to heal this!

I'm having to admit that tea and alcohol are not kind to my system lately and I really think I should give them up but they're the only indulgences or free foods I have left! Everything else has to be limited. :angry: I don't know if it's GI issue or the dehydrating effect they can have or the depletion of certain nutrients that they can cause. I don't drink massive quantities of either but I'm maintaining a VERY delicate balance here so it probably wouldn't take much.

I also have rosacea that I have been told is linked to the food intolerances and digestion issues. Curious if anyone else has it since we have similar issues. I'm going to try the enzymes and Marshmello root.

Wolicki Enthusiast

The NOW brand is very inexpensive. I think I paid $8 for about 200 capsules at Mothers Market. It costs a little more at Whole Foods, as does everything else. I hope you can keep coffee! Maybe I am deluded, but that iced coffee every day is my lifeline!

Evangeline Explorer

I found the enzyme Bromelain helped reduce a little edema (inflammation/swelling). But hydrochloric acid helped the most. I've read that using enzymes and Hydrochloric acid for about 4 months can "re-train" our bodies to digest certain foods that we previously thought impossible to digest.

kesh Newbie

I was just diagnosed with Celiac disease last week. I had been gluten-free for about 2 1/2 months before this due to testing positive to a wheat sensitivity. I believe that I am suffering from leaky gut as well after reading several books about the digestive system. One thing that has been helping me are bone broth soups. There is a book that I found very useful with more on these and other ideas for people with digestive issues:

Open Original Shared Link

After having diarrhea for several weeks I began a regiment of the following and within a week my symptoms started to disappear - and I am finally back to normal bowel movements! I came to the following per discussing my situation with my regular doctor at the uofc hospital, my holistic doctor and a health nutritionist who has suffered from many digestive issues herself.

Culturelle Probiotic (dairy and gluten free) - 1 capsule a day - according to clinical studies, this probiotic actually makes it through your stomach acids into your digestive system; be aware that not all probiotics are created equal

Barlean's The Essential Woman Swirl - 1 tablespoon a day - this tastes amazing and is worth the price!

Vitamin Code Women - 2 capsules twice a day - very important that we get the right type of nutrients when our bodies are deficient.

Vitamineral Green - 1 tablespoon mixed in liquid of your choice, once a day

http://www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned)/Vitamineral-Green-Trial-Size-Version/dp/B000JJHQMM

In addition, I cut the following items out of my diet:

coffee

alcohol

dairy (eggs are fine)

fresh fruits

sugar (as much as possible)

All of my veggies that I eat are cooked, usually in a soup, which is best for your digestive system to consume when it is having problems. After your system is starting to get back on track, slowly introduce these foods back into your diet. You'll know if you are ready or not for the foods above, which should really be consumed in moderation anyway. :)

I hope this is helpful!

+Karen

Archived