Rate this topic

So I just had a quick question about how Celiac Disease is triggered. I haven't felt well since I had mono 11 years ago. I never really had digestion issues, just fatigue and some other weird stuff. I was in a motorcycle accident 6 months ago and that triggered the digestion issues and weight loss.

My question is can there be two triggers? Meaning can it get worse from another trauma? I have really bad anxiety about my health and when I was diagnosed a few weeks ago I was very relieved.......but now I'm back to worrying again!

I believe this to be true, although I cannot cite any scientific evidence to support it. I had low level symptoms for decades which then suddenly became severe.

I believe the second "trigger" can bring on the symptoms after years of the "unsymptomatic" suffering. i.e. the anemia, lethargy, weight changes to full out "D" after every meal.

I was always anemic for every blood test and did not grow to the expected height (genetic tested) but after giving birth I was sick after every (gluten) meal.

I believe the second "trigger" can bring on the symptoms after years of the "unsymptomatic" suffering. i.e. the anemia, lethargy, weight changes to full out "D" after every meal.

I was always anemic for every blood test and did not grow to the expected height (genetic tested) but after giving birth I was sick after every (gluten) meal.

Same for me. Anemia during pregnancy, then hypothyroid and severe gluten intolerance after I gave birth.

I had mono last summer and things got really bad afterward. I'd always had a lot of stomach problems but they got worse and I started having constant aches, rashes, and fatigue. My immune system practically shut down and I was caught everything! Then I started having vitamin deficiencies. I've been gluten free for almost 4 months and I feel so much better. I definately think mono made existing gluten issues worse in my case.

It worked that way for me - I started having occasional GI symtpoms after catching a flu when I was overseas in 2005. I would have periodic problems but overall health seemed ok. I know now I was starting to malabsorb, but that took a while to show up.

Mid 2007 I caught another full on flu, and my system went haywire after that, could harldy eat, major deficiencies. I think the initial stress triggered underlying problems, but the second problem tipped it into a whole other level of severity.

What is it that worries you at the moment? Are you concerned that things may get even worse, or that you haven't found the underlying problem?

Latent celiac disease refers specifically to patients who have abnormal antibody blood tests for celiac disease but who have normal small intestines and no signs or symptoms of Celiac disease.

You could have have latent Celiac and your trigger for full symptoms was your illness. It is more common than you think.