This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any "home-canners" Out There?

jenvan

nikki-uk Enthusiast

At last,cut the grass!LOL

I love the first cut of the year-it's only gonna get warmer!(can't stop sneezing though :blink: )

I've got some (oriental)lillies to put in too.

Happy Gardener. B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jenvan Collaborator

Lynne--

Looked up Foxglove--wow, beautiful! Just thought of the poem...and how does her garden grow?? ;) What your planting sounds amazing! I work for a Landscape/Site Architects and we have a host of planting type books. Was looking through one yesterday on large-scale gardens. Overwhelming!! Your book would be cool to borrow! What was the outlet between us again where we could meet sometime?

Was telling Judy, trying to decide whether I will skip or keep garden this year. Either way will keep it more simple--roma tomatoes and sweet peppers. Have to look when strawberries come up. Planning canning jam this year.

Hmmm...Oh, am making a homemade b-day gift for my brother... Will take a pic and show whoever would like to see. I sent Judy a description of what I'm making, below:

my brother's present...him and his partner have had 3 dogs. 2 of which died the past 2 yrs and they were very sad. i scanned in a pic of each dog, printed on clear decal film in black and white...and am sticking them on clear acryclic squares my dad helped me 'cut' out. (b/c you don't really cut acrylic--have to score and break. was interesting!) drilled holes in each pane so that the three will be hanging down in a row tied with ribbon. everything has gone well till last night when i put the decals on the panes. FRICKIN' BUBBLES EVERYWHERE under the paper. even when i tried to "roll" it out and press bubbles. so disappointing. i always have high expectations for my projects and get really bummed if there are any issues. my dad tried to give me a few ideas... so i've ended up using a tiny needle to poke a hole in most of the bubbles, then sticking them in a bag and using my food saver to try and suck out the air. it helped some on the pane i tried last night....just some fine bubbles left. better, but still not perfect... :) let me know if someone else has any other ideas!! (besides trying not to be so anal!! ha ha!)

kabowman Explorer

I am going to jump in too...been lurking for a while.

I have been gardening for years - used to have a giant garden the deer ate, then tried the square foot garden and didn't like it as much, now I have simple raised beds that are easy to weed and reach from all sides and to start I only needed 2 yards of dirt.

We moved to a new house last April and put in two beds - bought the wrong soil mix with too much sand so it drained too quickly. This year we added some cheap soil to help with the drying too fast problem. Lettuce and peas are already up. We are adding another bed or two this year since last year we didn't have enough to can (I asked for, and got, a pressure cooker for my Christmas present and this year for my birthday in June I am getting the equipment so I can can with it). I used to do just water bath canning but want to do some real canning for taking food on trips with us that I can eat.

We are trying a new thing for our half of our tomatoes and bell peppers - we are putting them in hanging pots, growing from the bottom so they have a steady water supply. We got the idea from the $20 bags in Gardeners Supply but ours cost about $3.50 to make. So far, week 2, they look great and are really growing. Along that same theory (we are using an old jungle gym that came with the house to hang them of), we are going to put pole beans and squash and goards in pots on the bottom, by the ladder part and let them grow up and just weave them in and out as they grow (idea sort of from the square foot gardening book).

My worm farms have only lasted a few months and boy can they stink if they are dead too long!!!

I planted 50 crocus in the front yard last fall, this year we are going to add another 100 - every house I leave has crocus in the yard and daffodils everywhere else (plus a bunch of flower beds). We put two flower beds in last year and did a little work around the house, this year we are going to finish the two sides of the house and half the front.

My oldest son is taking a landscape architecture class in 10th grade next year so I am going to have him design our front yard, incorporating what we have already done (we have a half acre lot) then he can work on the back.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

kabowman -- WELCOME TO THIS THREAD!!!!! I am so glad you're here! We have been having a lot of fun with it! Can you please give me information with regard as to how you made your tomato plant hangers? I have wanted to do that for a couple of years! Feel free to pass on any information your son gives you, too!

I hate to sound bad, but I'm really glad your worms died, too. I felt like such a failure! The websites make it sound like it's sooooooo easy. Not for me. I killed three different batches of the suckers! And they do stink -- really bad.

This was my first experience with planting fall bulbs. I have been like a little kid, truthfully. My DH just smiles because I get so excited! I definitely want more crocuses -- especially because the Da#$%ed squirrels and chipmunks got a bunch of them, evidently. Oh, on that note -- I found out why they love crocuses and tulips -- they're both related to the onion family. Am thinking about just putting some small onions out for them, but still am covering my garden with Cayenne pepper again this year.

Jen -- I think it's the Tanger factory outlet. It has Reebok, Liz Claiborne, Mikasa -- it's not very big -- not like the one at exit 76 close to Indy. I'd be willing to volunteer Dave to drive me up to Indy to go to your big outlet mall! He wants me to get out and see people -- it would be an easy sell! I'll mail the book to you if you want it before we can get together. I'm looking at it now . . . it's called "The Creative Container Gardener"

I think the hanger for your brother is a great idea. Acrylic is a pain in the butt, isn't it? I needed to make something out of plexiglass, and I tried to Dremel it. It melted, and melted plastic went EVERYWHERE. Not that it's going to help you now, but on your NEXT try, sometimes it's helpful to have a piece of strong cardstock (or fold it and put a credit card in the fold for strength) when you're applying the stickers. Start from the top or bottom (whichever is more comfortable for you), and use the cardstock at an angle, pushing forward, to incrementally adhere the stickers to the acrylic. You're more likely to avoid bubbles, because you're pushing the air away as you glide the cardstock forward. As far as for now -- I think you're doing the right thing. I'd just try to put pinholes in the rest of the small bubbles, then push down with my fingers. The seal-a-meal thing was a GREAT idea - I have one of those, and I wouldn't have thought about that. That was GOOD!

The foxgloves are cool, aren't they? I have been reading a book that I got in the "Irish" store at the Mall of America (both Dave and I have Irish roots -- I just found out that my great-grandmother's name was Anna Laura Connelly -- talk about Irish!) At any rate, it says that foxglove is noted for being a plant in which faeries live! This is about all the folklore -- did you know that Pagan, in its original form, meant "country dweller"?? I didn't. Anyway, the Pagans would put out favours for the faeries -- whiskey, or cream, or something to bring them good luck. It's a pretty interesting book.

I can't wait for the Plumeria to bloom. They came packaged as just a tall stick. You're supposed to plant the "flat" end (meaning "cut" end!) down and have some of the stick standing in the breeze! They're the flowers from which Hawaiian leis are made. Given our medical bills, it's the closest thing to Hawaii I'm going to see for LONG time!

I got a bunch of bulbs planted last night before I finally just pooped out. Dave ended up helping me get into the house, then, of course, lectured me for about 10 minutes. My defense is that I don't want to plant while he's at work -- what if I got stuck? Then he stops! So, when he comes home tonight, I'm back at it again!

I had to laugh -- when I was a kid, I was a girly-girly type, but frogs, worms, etc. didn't bother me. I was usually the one that was catching them, as well as praying mantis, grasshoppers, junebugs, etc. As an adult, I have turned into the biggest sissy. I used to squeal like a little girl when I'd come across a worm! I told my DH last night that I'm finally to the point that it doesn't bug me when I'm digging in the dirt and I stumble across a worm -- but it REALLY creeps me out when I stumble across 1/2 a worm. eeeeeewwwwww! He just laughed at me.

Talk to you guys soon . . . . . . Lynne

nikki-uk Enthusiast
I had to laugh -- when I was a kid, I was a girly-girly type, but frogs, worms, etc. didn't bother me. I was usually the one that was catching them, as well as praying mantis, grasshoppers, junebugs, etc. As an adult, I have turned into the biggest sissy. I used to squeal like a little girl when I'd come across a worm! I told my DH last night that I'm finally to the point that it doesn't bug me when I'm digging in the dirt and I stumble across a worm -- but it REALLY creeps me out when I stumble across 1/2 a worm. eeeeeewwwwww! He just laughed at me.

Talk to you guys soon . . . . . . Lynne

With you on the worm thing ! :o

I was so proud . . . I finally just took it like a woman when I stumbled across a worm. Picked it up, moved it out of the way. Then, last night . . . . 1/2 a worm. Thought I was going to lose my lunch. Ugh :blink:

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Oh my goodness ,all slimy and wriggly-and pink!!!

:blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

and in half.

Guest Viola

I'm so glad to see this thread back up again! :lol: Love the worms, we have lots normally, so don't have to farm them. The other morning when we had a shower there were earth worms all over the greens of the golf course. (We walk around the golf course every morning around 6:30 or so) It was really cool, the robbins didn't have to look for them. :lol:

Lynne, foxgloves are absolutely gorgeous... but do be careful, like other showy things, they can be dangerous for children and animals. Foxglove is just a friendly name for digitalis...the heart medication. A neighbour lost a bull calf one day when he ate some. But on the other hand, if you don't have live stock to worry about, and children are old enough to understand, these gorgeous flowers will re-seed them selves and continue to grow for years.

And I love freesias!! You are going to have so many beautiful things!

We were out golfing today, Don't say anything, but I beat my wonderful hubby by one stroke :ph34r::lol:

Gotta go and make a salad to go with supper (it's in the crock pot)

Will catch you all later this evening!

oooooooo Shirley -- you committed the ultimate "wrong" -- you beat your husband at GOLF? From the stories I hear between my dad, my son and my brother-in-law (and of course, our entire family has a highly competitive nature!), he may not recover for DAYS!!! :P CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! :lol::lol:

Had to laugh about the worms -- evidently, because we have new plant waste (thanks to yours truly and her Extreme Garden Makeovers!), we have a multitude of earthworms now. So, not only do I feed the birds in the Winter with seed, I feed them in the Spring with all the new worms! I think they love the Wagner house!

Guest Viola

Actually Lynne...he was pretty good natured about it today :lol::lol: I don't think I should do it too often though. Men do not like being beat by a woman at anything, especially golf. :rolleyes: He beats me on the long game, but he really does need some more practice putting :P

It's been a busy day today. We have our monthly meeting (kennel club) tomorrow evening, so I've got my three reports to get ready and the newsletter to get almost ready , as soon as the minutes to the meeting are done. And poor Sheba has been driving me crazy because she is on prenisone and is constantly "starving" to death. It's kinda like some of us Celiacs...always hungry. I do feel sorry for her, but if I keep feeding her, she will be like the good year blimp :(

I also got a phone call confirming another 2 people for our Celiac dinner on Saturday. So called the restaurant and we are booked for 20 people now. Really should be fun putting all the faces to the names I've been talking to on the phone and computer.

I did get my rose bed cleaned out and fertilized. Need to tie back a couple of the shrub roses, but will have to wait until hubby has time to give me a hand with it. I keep looking at my Rhodos, the deer have done so much damage, but I don't want to cut them down until I see if they will get new leaves.

Hello out there...anyone want some white tailed deer??? They are like vermin around here! We see about 14 or more on our walks in the morning. :rolleyes: I'll be glad to ship them out :lol:

jenvan Collaborator

I'm jealous of everyone and the bulbs!! But the real investing in the yard won't happen till dh and I own our house. Hopefully later this year or early next year! The soil at our house is bleh... The woman who lived there before us was supposedly some great gardner--but when we moved in it was a huge disaster---no grass--dirt, a forest of lemon balm (hate it!!)--that took us months to remove. Ivy growing up everywhere. And she took her clay pots and smashed them all over the flower beds in big chunks that two 1/2 yrs later I'm still pulling out!! :blink:

Kate--

Cool idea on the pots! I have pots come out my you-know-what... Peppers are one of my favorite items to plant. They are always so expensive in store and never as fresh and crisp from the garden. So you just hang the pots and plant the pepper like you would pot-plant anything else?? Want to make sure I understand... Part of me is not sure if I have it in me to do a full-garden this year. So that may give me a simplier option if I need one.

Yeah on canning! I still use the water bath...I really like it (for now). Partly b/c I use the same one my grandma used to can...one of the few things I have of hers. Canning is a very sentimental act for me :) Unfortunately both my grandma's passed away before I really became interested in the 'home arts' as I like to say. Would have been fun to do more of that with them. My dad helped me can 80 lbs of apples last summer though...was fun.

Lynne-

I abhor all creepie-crawlies. Time to spray the house... Yesterday morning I pulled a shoe out of my closet and a silver-fish scampered out. My husband was in the shower and just heard a "Scream--thud, thud." He's used to that. I am very animated when it comes to bugs. He's stopped running in to see what's wrong :) Hope I'm never in trouble someday!

I could meet you or you could come up near me too...whatever is best! Speaking of outlets, I need to ck out the one that has the Le Creuset store sometime. Not sure where it is though. I think someone told me it was near Cincy?

Shirely-

Congrats!! That is a real travesty...I know how much the score matters to my dad !! (Revel secretly in your victory) :) Good tip on the flowers--you have such a knowledge of plants etc... Wish I could join your Celiac dinner sometime--sounds like fun!

kabowman Explorer

Upside Down Planters

We took regular, large (large enough to hold a full grown tomato plant) plastic planting pots from K-mart for $3.50 which I had bought a few years earlier, used a hole saw on the drill and drilled a hole about an inch in diamater through the bottom. One we even used an old bucket and put in some drainage holes part way up so there will never be too much water.

Then, you take the tomato or pepper, pull it from its pot, break out the dirt and gently loosen it from the roots.

Then, you take the plant, from the outside on the bottom of the planter (remember these will be upside down so no cages) with a half of paper towel to keep the dirt from falling back out, hold the plant in place and fill the pot with dirt.

Eventually the root ball will grow large enough to block the hole while the paper towel disintegrates.

Our tomatoes perked up, are growing great, and I don't think I have ever seen more healthy tomato plants right from the start and I have been gardening about 20 years. We even started with punny little tomatoes, not the nice big ones with a good start.

Bulbs

This year, the crocus in the yard came up so late I thought they had not made it, but they were just late. I would go out every morning and evening and walk through the yard, looking for more. I got so excited every time a new one would pop up and bloom. Even one that my son threw so they would be scatterd and we couldn't find so it spent the winter ON TOP OF THE GRASS bloomed. I was shocked.

When they start, I won't let the kids in the yard - they always run over one or two of them with their bikes or feet.

Worms

We actually tried the worms for fishing - we spend every weekend we can on our pontoon at the lake and fish in the mornings and evenings, swimming the rest of the time. Last year, because we had just moved, we didn't camp very much - only a couple of weeks. This year, we will go out Friday nights (usually every other weekend with my boys - his daughter HATES to go, even on the boat) and come home Sunday late morning in time to fix up the house and cook enough meat to make it through part of the week so weekday dinners are easy - thanks to hubby. We also try to do one camping vacation a year too.

Unfortunatley, all this eats into my craft time so now I don't do as much - but, I like to knit, sew, counted cross stitch, make jewlery (I don't even have time to do shows anymore so now I am just making for me), soap (at the shows too), etc. I haven't tried carving and glass bead making yet but those are on my short list - oh, and some nice clay projects and mosiacs, stained glass, OK, the list is a little long but you get the idea. Oh, crewel (sp?) work too.

jenvan Collaborator

Thanks for the instructions!! We'll see if I can master it ;) Sounds like you are busy--I think all of us "crafters" like that! I keep forgetting you live really close to me.... Bloomington. I remember we talked about Marsh once...

Ah stained-glass! I have thought for several years that is something I would love to try! One thing at a time though I have to remind myself! Right now I have a sewing project going--sewing antique hankies together to form a table runner, then embroidering it with flowers etc. So....have to finish a few other things before I'll allow myself to try something new! I could make a full-time job out of these activities!

kabowman Explorer

My 15 YO son is currently making a stained glass lamp - at school - so I haven't seen it yet but he said I can't have it and he has given me everything else to-date.

Next year he is taking drawing and ceramics in addition to his landscape architecture class.

Both boys like to cook and will be helping me can this summer as well as tend the garden. My hubby didn't garden, didn't do crafts, didn't care about plants, etc. Now, he maintains our deck plants and he is doing the hanging garden plants and he is now even doing crafts. He had a mosiac take Honors at the fair last year - he won't let me put any plants in it.

jenvan Collaborator

Very crafty family!! I work for an LA firm...is that what your son wants to do? I did 4-H fair growing up--photography, baking...and gift wrapping if you can believe that was an event!

kabowman Explorer

We aren't into 4-H - they have an open class for all non-4-H people and that is where we submit and gift wrapping is still part of the fair. I almost submitted something last year for it but decided to stick to my regulars...

They also have canning as an area but I figured my first time in about 12 years is not the best to submit.

I don't know what he wants to do when he grows up. I know he loves plants and is a really hard worker. He also likes designing computer games so it could go either way.

Jen -- stained glass is very addictive! Once you start, it's hard not to want to purchase every single type of glass that you can get your hands on! Whether you can use it or not -- it's because its "SOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL!" It's really easy to do -- a little time consuming -- but I'm also a little anal-retentive about it. The woman I took classes from wasn't -- she would just say "oh, you can just fix that with a little solder."

WRONG!!!!!!! It has to be put together exactly right, THEN fixed with solder, in my book! Of course, it took me twice as long as anyone else to put the stupid things together! But it is FUN!!!!!

jenvan Collaborator
Jen -- stained glass is very addictive! Once you start, it's hard not to want to purchase every single type of glass that you can get your hands on! Whether you can use it or not -- it's because its "SOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL!" It's really easy to do -- a little time consuming -- but I'm also a little anal-retentive about it. The woman I took classes from wasn't -- she would just say "oh, you can just fix that with a little solder."

WRONG!!!!!!! It has to be put together exactly right, THEN fixed with solder, in my book! Of course, it took me twice as long as anyone else to put the stupid things together! But it is FUN!!!!!

Well, I won't judge you for being anal--have the same damn problem!! I'm sure when i give my bro his present on Sat I'll be like "here it is...hope you like it...sorry its not perfect." ha! Have any stained glass you've made you could show and tell?

I need some crafty friends by me... My friends here are quite as crafty...would be fun to work on projects together... I do do projects with my dad from time to time though.

Guest Viola

Oh I love stain glass! I don't make it, at least not with glass, but I do stain glass applique :D It's my version without the expense of learning a new craft. I just use bright jewel coloured fabrics with black bias for the solder.

However, I can't make a beautiful window out of it :( Do you have pictures of your work Lynne?

I wish I could come with you Jen, and we could take Lynne with us and maybe Canadian Karen :lol: Wouldn't that be a riot?

kabowman Explorer

My husband has now become hooked on glass and he uses it for his mosiacs instead of tile! We have a huge selection and every time it's on sale, we buy more - they are pretty.

I have two pieces my boys made in my office - one is a wizzard and the other is a sword - both for school projects since I have all the equipment.

Guest Viola
My husband has now become hooked on glass and he uses it for his mosiacs instead of tile! We have a huge selection and every time it's on sale, we buy more - they are pretty.

I have two pieces my boys made in my office - one is a wizzard and the other is a sword - both for school projects since I have all the equipment.

Kate, that sounds really cool. I love the mosiac trevets. I've only seen them done with china though. Glass would be prettier as the colours can be so vivid.

jenvan Collaborator
Oh I love stain glass! I don't make it, at least not with glass, but I do stain glass applique :D It's my version without the expense of learning a new craft. I just use bright jewel coloured fabrics with black bias for the solder.

However, I can't make a beautiful window out of it :( Do you have pictures of your work Lynne?

I wish I could come with you Jen, and we could take Lynne with us and maybe Canadian Karen :lol: Wouldn't that be a riot?

That would be a blast! Judy would have to come too... :)

Kate--

Very impressed with your husband... My dad will get into crafts b/c he is incredibly handy--very smart, likes thinking through how to make something and use his hands. I am like him in that way--something so satisfying about using your hands--carrying a project thru from conception to finish.

Can you guys imagine all of us getting together with our craft things? It would be so much fun!! We ought to go up to Shirley's place -- I haven't been there, don't know if you have either.

I don't have pix of my work, because it's all in storage. Hope it hasn't been smashed. I did find my glass grinder (finishes the edges), and the stained glass supplies, but so far no finished products! My parents, in an effort to hurry the process up, kind of put lots of things in boxes that didn't necessarily "jibe"!

The Hobby Lobby in Jeffersonville, IN, has AMAZING glass. It goes on sale for 1/2 price about every other month or so. I just salivate as I look through it! I have a sun hanging (about 12" x 18") and a moon hanging to match. Have made quite a few candle holders (they're easy), and a couple of ornaments. I have a kit to make a kaleidoscope for my mom, but still haven't done it. I think my problem is that, I see something that is fun to do, then I start doing it. But I like everything!! Therein lies the difficulty!

I still say that if we all got together, we would have a ball! Rachel & Jen could teach us scrapbooking, Shirley could teach us -- well, just about anything -- , Kbowman could teach us stained glass and mosaic work -- it would be GREAT!!!!!

I could rent a U-Haul and bring all the stuff I have! (Scrapbooking, Card making, Stained Glass, Jewelry, let's see, what else . . . . !) What fun!!!

I love this thread! You guys are so fun, and so creative, and so generous with your ideas and instructions! Talk to you soon . . . . . . Lynne

Guest Viola
Can you guys imagine all of us getting together with our craft things? It would be so much fun!! We ought to go up to Shirley's place -- I haven't been there, don't know if you have either.

I don't have pix of my work, because it's all in storage. Hope it hasn't been smashed. I did find my glass grinder (finishes the edges), and the stained glass supplies, but so far no finished products! My parents, in an effort to hurry the process up, kind of put lots of things in boxes that didn't necessarily "jibe"!

The Hobby Lobby in Jeffersonville, IN, has AMAZING glass. It goes on sale for 1/2 price about every other month or so. I just salivate as I look through it! I have a sun hanging (about 12" x 18") and a moon hanging to match. Have made quite a few candle holders (they're easy), and a couple of ornaments. I have a kit to make a kaleidoscope for my mom, but still haven't done it. I think my problem is that, I see something that is fun to do, then I start doing it. But I like everything!! Therein lies the difficulty!

I still say that if we all got together, we would have a ball! Rachel & Jen could teach us scrapbooking, Shirley could teach us -- well, just about anything -- , Kbowman could teach us stained glass and mosaic work -- it would be GREAT!!!!!

I could rent a U-Haul and bring all the stuff I have! (Scrapbooking, Card making, Stained Glass, Jewelry, let's see, what else . . . . !) What fun!!!

I love this thread! You guys are so fun, and so creative, and so generous with your ideas and instructions! Talk to you soon . . . . . . Lynne

Hmmmm, I think we'll have to lock ourselves up for at least three weeks or so, should I start stocking the cupboards and fridge, and maybe send the hubby on a holiday? :lol: I know a good cook who is also a crafter... she maybe can take the three weeks off from her restaurant job and come too, she does gluten free very well :D She also knows how to make the most beautiful cone filled lighted baskets for fall and Christmas decorations, and we have all the cones we need right here :rolleyes:

And you just have to bring your doggies for dog agility fun ... after all, we will need some outdoor sunshine.

Archived