This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any "home-canners" Out There?

jenvan

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Shirley, if I was at your house, I would be HUGE!!!!! Sounds yummy!

Congrats (in a hushed voice) on your victory . . . girls rule!

Going to look up tent catapillars, but I'm not liking the tone of what I might find . .. . . . doesn't sound promising, either, I can tell 'ya. So, if you know what to do to get rid of the suckers, albeit pretty, please let me know . . . . because my sage is doing really well this year, and I would LIKE to be able to dry it . . . along with the Cilantro and Parsley, which, evidently, I am very good at growing, because I didn't plant ANYTHING in the "spontaneous garden" this year, and yet, herbs! (Annual herbs, at that)

BTW: Thought you guys would like this one . . . planted my freesia and plumeria . . . one plumeria sprouted, and I THOUGHT I had all this freesia . . . OH NO . . . the freesias are JUST NOW coming up -- these HUGE things I have in the entire area where I had PLANTED the freesia is full of WEEDS!!!!!!! I DEFINITELY have to read up on these things prior to purchase!! The calla lilies that caused the fall two months ago . . . out of 15, 3 emerged. Hmmmmmmf. My green thumb just doesn't have its mojo working this summer! I do, however, have a couple of BEAUTIFUL Sumatra lilies! (thought I'd end this post on an "upside" :P )

Jen -- I'll "talk" with you tomorrow . . . . .

Shirley -- if you're not exhausted, same to you . . . . give Sheba a snuggle for me!

Hugs to you both,

Lynne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Viola
Shirley, if I was at your house, I would be HUGE!!!!! Sounds yummy!

Congrats (in a hushed voice) on your victory . . . girls rule!

Going to look up tent catapillars, but I'm not liking the tone of what I might find . .. . . . doesn't sound promising, either, I can tell 'ya. So, if you know what to do to get rid of the suckers, albeit pretty, please let me know . . . . because my sage is doing really well this year, and I would LIKE to be able to dry it . . . along with the Cilantro and Parsley, which, evidently, I am very good at growing, because I didn't plant ANYTHING in the "spontaneous garden" this year, and yet, herbs! (Annual herbs, at that)

BTW: Thought you guys would like this one . . . planted my freesia and plumeria . . . one plumeria sprouted, and I THOUGHT I had all this freesia . . . OH NO . . . the freesias are JUST NOW coming up -- these HUGE things I have in the entire area where I had PLANTED the freesia is full of WEEDS!!!!!!! I DEFINITELY have to read up on these things prior to purchase!! The calla lilies that caused the fall two months ago . . . out of 15, 3 emerged. Hmmmmmmf. My green thumb just doesn't have its mojo working this summer! I do, however, have a couple of BEAUTIFUL Sumatra lilies! (thought I'd end this post on an "upside" :P )

Jen -- I'll "talk" with you tomorrow . . . . .

Shirley -- if you're not exhausted, same to you . . . . give Sheba a snuggle for me!

Hugs to you both,

Lynne

Hi Lynne;

Just got home from Castlegar and had lunch ... turkey, bread sticks, cucumbers and then raspberries and whipcream for dessert :lol:

Okay, for tent catapillers ... they quite often congragate together on one branch, if there is a large number on that branch, cut it off and burn the whole branch. They will have a white "tent" looking structure kinda like spiderweb stuff. You want to burn that as well. A BBQ lighter or blow torch is a good thing to use.

If they have already scattered, you'll need to pick them off and throw them in a bucket of soapy water to drown them. They have been known to really strip trees, and if they are allowed to multiply from one year to the next, they can get so thick that they coat a road and make it slippery like grease when cars drive over them. That's the extreme of course, but it has happened in McDowall Sask. Gross things!

Good luck with them. We have only had them in small numbers, but check all the trees around freqently.

Gotta go check on my parents, take care.

Hi Shirley --

I have a "spider-web" looking thing on one of my plants. HOWEVER, none of the catapillars are on that plant, nor near that tent. They haven't congregated, and they are pretty content just staying on one little part of a plant.

I looked up tent catapillars (found out -- we call them "bagworms" here -- that was why I didn't recognize that!) and those are NOT what I have. If you have an e-mail address posted on your bio, I'll send you a picture of the little guys. The tent catapillars we have here have little fuzzies on their underbelly . . . these don't, and they don't have the coloring that we usually see. I can remember my dad torching the tents when I was a kid . . . thanks for a GREAT memory . . . I had forgotten that!!!

So, you had to mention the raspberries and whipped cream, eh? Thank you very NOT!!!!! :lol: Actually, thank you very MUCH. I'm salivating just thinking about it . . . and remembering someone very dear to me in my childhood. I called her "Mammaw" -- she was my next door neighbor. As a skinny little kid (hard for me to believe now . . . ), she was intent on putting some pounds on me! Her cobblers, combined with matching ice cream each summer night, are some of the best memories I have of my childhood . . . I can remember, after supper, playing outside, then hearing my name called . . . pretty softly . . . but I always heard it! I'd go over, and she and her daughter's family (she lived with them -- I called them Aunt Louise and Uncle Ben) would be on the back porch, and Uncle Ben would be churning the ice cream. They were my family, as well. Mammaw even made a gingerbread easter village for me one year . . . because she made them for her other grandchildren -- and I was one of them, as well. Oh my, great memories . . . . .

Hoping you have a great weekend . . . snuggle Sheba (again) for me! (Also, forgot -- I have the BEST picture of Destiny to send you . . . she fell asleep in her Panda Puffs . . . she woke up after I had finished posting, and had one stuck -- to the top of her nose!!!)

Hugs and Hugs to you,

Lynne

jenvan Collaborator

Shirley- congrats AGAIN! Sounds like a great dinner your mom had. I bet you are taking good care of her. Oh, also--I think you should write a book on all your gardening, plant, bug etc knowledge that the rest of us can refer to !! And then I'll seem as smart as you :lol:

Lynne-You're gonna get those pillars alright! All your herbs sound great Lynne! I LOVE cilantro, but Bri hates it, that jerk. He really needs to like Cilantro and Dill--two of my favs. :P I think he must have a tastebud dysfunction. I looked up sumatra lillies--gorgeous! Damn that freesia though--maybe your plants had "issues" to begin with :blink: You are a good gardener !

Wish me luck with the 'shirt'...I bought some knit fabric like the shirt I am going off of. I tell you though, Joann had such a pitiful selection of fabric :( Like 2 colors in this type. Guess Indianapolis isn't a fashion hub ! Might have to look online sometime.

Oh, you two would appreciate this. I took a long 2 hr lunch with the two women in my office. Being landscape architects, they know all about plants. We went to the Indy art museum and walked the gardens and ground. I learned quite a bit about new plants. One fun fact about my favorite flowers--hydrangeas...that their color is based on the ph of the soil--not the flower itself. Fascinating! But I bet you two smarties already knew that!

nikki-uk Enthusiast
One fun fact about my favorite flowers--hydrangeas...that their color is based on the ph of the soil--not the flower itself. Fascinating! But I bet you two smarties already knew that!

That would explain why my 'blue' one turned 'pink' in my soil!!!

Thanks for the tip! :)

jenvan Collaborator
That would explain why my 'blue' one turned 'pink' in my soil!!!

Thanks for the tip! :)

Yup! You can change it back by getting an soil additive to change the ph. I'm sure google could give you some details :)

That is fascinating . . . I didn't know that!! You could have a smorgasbord of color!!!!! Will definitely plant hydrangeas next year!!!

Stupid freesias . . . I am so hacked.

You won't believe this . . . the catapillars are GONE. My BIL is a genius . . . he knows so much about --well, everything! Was going to take a picture, because my DH said that his brother would know . . . went outside the next day -- gone. They've never been back. I did look at a butterfly book last night . . . saw something that looked like our catapillars, and they were BEAUTIFUL butterflies . . . the book said that this particular type looked for herbs prior to laying eggs and chrysallis formation -- I think that's right -- but I know the herbs part is right!! So, in August, we may have BEAUTIFUL butterflies -- lots of 'em!! That could be pretty exciting . . .

My DH brought home fresh cream and blueberries yesterday . . . my favorite!!! His surprise was the greatest!! I was sitting on the computer, and he said, "Are you hungry?" I said, "Actually, I'm REALLY hungry!!" Then he brought out all the ingredients and sat them down beside me!!!!! I was SO EXCITED!!

Keep me posted on all activities . . . Jen, want to know how the shirt is coming along!!

Hugs,

Lynne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Viola

I'm here I think.. :lol: I've got so many papers on my desk and spread out on the floor and foot stool that it's hard to find the keyboard. I've got the newsletter mailed out, but the advertizing for the show catalogue has to be finished by Friday, so I'm trying to get that done. I'm still waiting for conformation for some ads from Castlegar, Nelson and Trail. Thank heaven for email, I don't know how these things were managed before computers :o:lol:

Mom and Dad have gone over to their trailer for a game of crib before bed. Mom is now well enough again to play cards. I'm sure happy about that, it's her favorite thing to do. Her kidneys were getting so bad that it was affecting her mind and she couldn't figure out the numbers etc. But now she is getting a shot every week that has brought back some of her mental ability. It's wonderful! She is also starting to eat much better since she got here. I hope it keeps up.

Lynne, that's really exciting about your catapillars, I hope they are beautiful butterflies that decorate your garden. Then you can take pictures of them instead :D

Ahhhhhhhh, blueberries and fresh cream ... wouldn't that be lovely ... maybe mixed with the raspberries :P You lucky girl you! Good for your hubby bringing you some!

Jen, how is that shirt coming??? Hope you are having fun with it. I know it will turn out just fab! Do we get a picture of you modeling it??? :rolleyes:

I did know about the hydrangeas as they were almost always blue on the north coast, but mostly pink down here. It's very heavy musk keg type soil in Prince Rupert (real rich )and very sandy soil (needs lots of fertilizer) where we live now. It's funny, our sandy soil produces wonderful carrots, but you can't grow carrots in the heavy soil up north. They just get stunted as the carrots can't push through it. Plants are fascinating :)

Lynne .. I love the name 'bagworms' :lol: It is suitable for the tent catapillars. I'll think of that everytime I see those nasty grubs. :lol:

Well, here it is almost 10 pm and I haven't got my email done yet. Better get my butt in gear. I have a dog (mini schnauzer) to train in agility tomorrow morning. I think I'll do a run through of Sheba's obedience while we have another dog around for distraction too. She worked beautifully by herself today. Now if she would only do that in front of the judge! :huh: Never mind, she is a sweety.

Lynne, my email address is hubel@netidea.com I would love to see that picture of Destiny!! That sounds soooooooo cute!

Hugs everyone, hopefully have time to get back here tomorrow.

jenvan Collaborator

Shirley-

Hi! I got some pics of how my pots have turned out this year if you'd like to see my fledgling flower gardening :) Question for you--Saw my uncle from spokane this weekend. Was telling me about his garden---sounds amazing. Has had major gopher issues. Ended up taking part of old freezer and partially burying to grow root veggies in so they wouldn't get eaten. I told him I had a friend in BC who had a solution for everything and that I'd ask! Any gopher ideas ??

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi everyone! I love reading this thread--you all are so talented, and I get so many good tips!

I've been wondering about something for the past couple of winters, and I just now thought--why not put this to the "home-canning" ladies. :D

I have window boxes on the front windows of my house--the house is pretty plain from the outside--kind of boxy, really. I have the kind of boxes that are black iron with coir linings. These really soften up the front in the spring and summer. I would love to leave them up in the winter, too. The house looks so plain when we take them down.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might put in after the first frost? Thanks :)

Lollie Enthusiast

i live in TX, so the whole first frost thing eludes me!!!!! But what about doing something with pumpkins and gourds. Then change it to ever greens and frosted fruits for christmas time? Just a thought!

Lollie

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Hi Patti,

I have hanging baskets which I keep going year round.

The only thing I've found to live through the frosts is 'winter pansies' with some trailing ivy(nothing kills that!!)

I don't know their if you can get such a thing as 'winter pansies' over there though?

:)

Personally, I would do little mums, then buy silk flowers!! That's what I do for our flower box on the front porch. During Christmas, I cut branches from our trees (or magnolia branches from my MIL's!!) then put lights throughout . . . just a thought!!

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks Lollie, Nikki and Lynne :)

Those were all great ideas. The pumpkin and gourds would be beautiful--and go with what I usually do with the porch. I have vinca vine now that spills over the front, but the frost will kill that unfortunately--but we do have winter pansies. Those would be pretty, too.

Lights at Christmas--that would look so pretty!

Thanks for helping me brainstorm this--I will not be taking the boxes down ever again :D

Guest Viola
Shirley-

Hi! I got some pics of how my pots have turned out this year if you'd like to see my fledgling flower gardening :) Question for you--Saw my uncle from spokane this weekend. Was telling me about his garden---sounds amazing. Has had major gopher issues. Ended up taking part of old freezer and partially burying to grow root veggies in so they wouldn't get eaten. I told him I had a friend in BC who had a solution for everything and that I'd ask! Any gopher ideas ??

Ah... those gophers. We have tons of them around here..at least the golf course and all the neighbours do. We have a gopher hunter that makes sure they don't tresspass :lol: It's called a Shiba Inu. However, we do occassionally help her out with a live (wire) trap. It's just basically a wire box and there's a small tray type thing that trips the doors. The gophers don't need any bait to get them in there, they just go in to play. Go figure, not too bright there. :rolleyes: Anyway, we then shoot them right in the trap with a 22 loaded with bird shot.

The golf course has a gopher shoot two or three times a year. Only two men go out with 22's with scopes. The course is closed completely down for three hours in the morning. Then someone, usually my husband ends up with the unwanted job of picking them up. They are left down over the bank for the coyutes to clean up.

I never, ever, recommend poison. Too many other animals can get to it.

However, if the above solutions can't be done in that area, he can try putting oatmeal, or dry potato flakes down the hole. It's supposed to swell up inside the belly and cause death. Corn meal has also been suggested. Hasn't been effective here.

Another solution (if your soil is not real sandy) is to attach a hose to the exhaust of a tractor or car and put it down the hole. This is very effective normally, but very sandy soil absorbs too much of the gas and it simply makes them a bit sick and they move on....maybe to your garden :(

Filling their holes with water and having a Terrier type dog waiting for them to come up is also effective.

Take note ... getting rid of pests is really not for the squemish. :o:rolleyes:

Let me know how he makes out. Our gophers are already starting to hybernate for the year.

jenvan Collaborator

Thanks Shirley--I need you would have some ideas! I will fwd them on to him :)

• 2 months later...
covsooze Enthusiast

bumping up this thread to say...me and DS have built our wormery at last :D We are so proud of it. As you can imagine, DS (3 1/2) loves the idea of collecting worm wee and poo to put on the garden :rolleyes::ph34r: He's a little impatient for it to work though and has commented on how the worms are slow eaters like he is :lol: Just hope it works now and the worms survive.

Guest Viola

Good for you Susie, let us know how it works! Careful you don't let any fishermen know about it or they will be raiding it for bait. :lol:

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

wow I'm out of the loop

Was looking at posts from Aug..just realized where this thread was when i want to find it.

hi all

Jen never heard about your Fl trip. Hope it was great.

I love the ideas for christmas with the greens and lites.

That's what i do also

I trim the greens and neighbors and garden club share greens so we have alot of differnt kinds. I used a trellis i used for hythicant (?) spelling help needed here..anyway, use them to form a tree and then put lites on them and christmas bulbs..turned out nice but the pictures didn't . i'll look and see if they came out.

i miss this thread..we should keep it going I think.

Going to basement tomorrow to get my Holloween stuff out.

hitting the bed nite all

judy

Guest Viola

Good Idea Judy, Sheba and I will decorate my avatar for Halloween :lol:

Archived