This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Son's Blood Results

Simona19

Simona19 Collaborator

I have my son's blood results. Are they positive?

Gliadin AB(IGG) 22 which is high, positive referance range <11

Gliadin AB (IGA) 3 negative referance range <11

Transglutaminase IG <3 negative referance range <5

(Tissue Transglutaminase TTG - IgA positivity offers both high specificity and sensitivity for Celiac Disease. For patients with early Celiac Disease with subtle histopathologic change(Marsh I-II), Gliadin IgA is a sensitive marker.

For patients who are IgA deficient, additional serologic testing would be helpful. TTG-IgG and HLA testing may help establish a diagnosis.)

Then his cholesterol 124 ref. range <200

HDL 46 ref. range 35-60

LDL 72 ref. range 100-129 low

CHLO/HDL ratio 2.7 ref. range 3.9-4.7 low

SGOT (AST) 12 ref. range 15-37 low - I don't know

SGPT (ALT) 24 ref. range 30-65 low - what is this?

Iron 161 ref. range 35-150 high

Iron saturation 49 ref. range 11-46 high

Vitamin D total 13 ref. range 30 to 100 low

VIT D, 25-OH, D3 13

VIT D, 25-OH, D2 <4

note: 25-OHD3 indicates both endogenous production and supplementation. 25-OHD2 is an indicator of exogenous sources such as diet or supplementation. Therapy is based on measurement of Total 25-OHD, with levels <20 ng/mL indicative of Vitamin D deficiency, while levels between 20 ng/mL and 30 ng/mL suggest insufficiency. Optimal levels are > or = 30 ng/mL.

Vitamin B12 366 ref. range 200 to 1100

note: although the reference range for Vitamin B12 is 200-1100 pg/mL, it has been reposted that between 5 and 10% of patients with values between 200 and 400 pg/mL may experience neuropsychiatric and hematologic abnormalities due to occult B12 deficiency; less than 1% of patients with values above 400 pg/mL will have symptoms.

Can somebody explain this to me? Does he have the celiac disease or not?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WheatChef Apprentice

Odds are, yes. Sorry.

He shows a high IgG reaction, semi-abnormal cholesterol (which is more just a general health indicator), low vitD and B12.

This puts him at a ridiculously high chance of having a gluten intolerance. First step: get his pasty butt outside to soak up some rays and up those Vit D levels, B12 shots would probably help and attempt a gluten-free diet on him.

This does add to the likely-hood of what you've been wondering about yourself, that you may too have a gluten intolerance. Welcome to the club. We're so sorry to see that you had to join, but so happy you got the chance to.

Skylark Collaborator

Did they do a total IgA? Anti-gliadin IgG is only suggestive of celic if total IgA is low. Of course, false negatives are common on celiac blood tests.

As Wheatchef says, he is pretty clearly malabsorbing. AST and ALP are liver function tests. Low AST doesn't mean much - high is bad. Low ALP and can be a sign of celiac disease, as it can indicate too little protein absorption. I'm sorry, but a vegetarian diet may not be a good idea for your son right now. Your son needs high-quality protein and cholesterol as his is awfully low. I imagine your doctors have said the same. Once he starts to heal meat and eggs would help him out with a lot of the deficiencies, including the low B12. Total cholesterol below 160 has been linked to depression and anxiety.

I imagine the doctors are trying to rule out other inflammatory bowel diseases and reasons for severe malabsorption. I hope they are scheduling a biopsy to find out why he is absorbing so poorly. I imagine your doctor is helping with the low B12 and D deficiency as the D deficiency combined with low ALP is a little troubling as far as bone health.

Once all the diagnostic work is done, he definitely needs a trial of the gluten-free diet.

Simona19 Collaborator

Did they do a total IgA? Anti-gliadin IgG is only suggestive of celic if total IgA is low. Of course, false negatives are common on celiac blood tests.

As Wheatchef says, he is pretty clearly malabsorbing. AST and ALP are liver function tests. Low AST doesn't mean much - high is bad. Low ALP and can be a sign of celiac disease, as it can indicate too little protein absorption. I'm sorry, but a vegetarian diet may not be a good idea for your son right now. Your son needs high-quality protein and cholesterol as his is awfully low. I imagine your doctors have said the same. Once he starts to heal meat and eggs would help him out with a lot of the deficiencies, including the low B12. Total cholesterol below 160 has been linked to depression and anxiety.

I imagine the doctors are trying to rule out other inflammatory bowel diseases and reasons for severe malabsorption. I hope they are scheduling a biopsy to find out why he is absorbing so poorly. I imagine your doctor is helping with the low B12 and D deficiency as the D deficiency combined with low ALP is a little troubling as far as bone health.

Once all the diagnostic work is done, he definitely needs a trial of the gluten-free diet.

Only this blood work was done. My regular doctor didn't even say one word about his vitamins. I ask him to order these tests, but he didn't order all of them. I had more, but he chose only this: thyiroid hormones, cardio CRP, all lipid profile*, all liver profile*, thyroid stimulating immunoglobulins, T3, T4, folate - was ok.

*I posted what wasn't good.

Now I'm angry because again I don't have the all picture. :angry:

Skylark Collaborator

I'm NOT a doctor only a scientist looking at results. What I see looks like a pattern of malnutrition/malabsorption, so go back to your doctor and ask why his ALP, D and cholesterol are all low, and his vitamin B12 borderline. Ask why your son is having chronic GI symptoms and it looks like he is not absorbing nutrition from his food. Push for an endoscopy with biopsy to look for inflammatory bowel diseases and celiac. Also ask whether your son is low IgA so the anti-gliadin IgG might indicate celiac.

Get your son some vitamin D gelcaps, sublingual B12, and get him out into the sunlight with face and arms uncovered (shorts would be even better) for at least 15 minutes a day. Problem is he may not absorb oral vitamin D and the low cholesterol means he might not make it well. You really need to get the malabsorption sorted.

Simona19 Collaborator

I'm NOT a doctor only a scientist looking at results. What I see looks like a pattern of malnutrition/malabsorption, so go back to your doctor and ask why his ALP, D and cholesterol are all low, and his vitamin B12 borderline. Ask why your son is having chronic GI symptoms and it looks like he is not absorbing nutrition from his food. Push for an endoscopy with biopsy to look for inflammatory bowel diseases and celiac. Also ask whether your son is low IgA so the anti-gliadin IgG might indicate celiac.

Get your son some vitamin D gelcaps, sublingual B12, and get him out into the sunlight with face and arms uncovered (shorts would be even better) for at least 15 minutes a day. Problem is he may not absorb oral vitamin D and the low cholesterol means he might not make it well. You really need to get the malabsorption sorted.

Just now a nurs from my doctor's office called. My son's genetic testing came back positive for celiac disease. Finally!!!!! Something is positive. We are not craizy!!!!!!

Thank you for your help. I'm ready to go to pharmacy and get him vitamins right now.

He is my only child and I'm very afraid that something will happen to him.

Again thank you so much for everything! :):):)

WheatChef Apprentice

With just a little bit of checking it is easy to make sure that you're getting no-gluten vitamins. It seems like at least half the brands out there let you know, just be sure to check the packaging because I've had the experience before of getting sick off of contaminated multivitamins.

A point of clarification which I'm sure skylark meant: uncovered face and arms also includes "not covered in sunscreen". Additionally, the further north you live the longer you'll want to extend the outdoor sunlight exposure periods, so that in the upcoming winter months you can even extend it to 45 minutes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Looking for answers Contributor

There is sublingual vitamin D available (mercola.com). I take liquid form and it works well. Focus on getting those levels back up on him to mitigate another autoimmune disorder coming on.

So glad you found an answer. What relief!

Archived