Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kimbalou

Safest Grits?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't know about Alber's either. I contacted Quaker about theirs and they said they can't guarentee their grits or their Oats because of the wheat products manufactured in their factory. Bob's Red Mill has Gluten Free Corn Grits.

Developed IBS in 2007 During first pregnancy.

Severe GERD attack Oct 2009 Diagnosised as GERD Nov. 2009 after scope. Dr. didn't think about celiac so no biopsy. Feb 2010 second Pregnancy new Dr. She mentions celiac. Test weakly postive. Nov. 2010 6wks post Pregnancy retested -neg. March 2011 scoped & biopsied came back showing only slight changed. Gastro Docs won't give conclusive diagnosis but put me on gluten free for 4 mths to see if it helps.

What brand would be the safest grits to eat? Is Alber's ok?

I don't know how sensitive you are but I only trust corn that states "gluten-free" because of rampant crosscontamination of corn (similar to oats).

Bob's Red Mill has gluten-free poltenta/grits. They also sell regular non-gluten-free corn grits, so you have to check the label to be certain. They are also available via amazon.

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

I don't know how sensitive you are but I only trust corn that states "gluten-free" because of rampant crosscontamination of corn (similar to oats).

Bob's Red Mill has gluten-free poltenta/grits. They also sell regular non-gluten-free corn grits, so you have to check the label to be certain. They are also available via amazon.

I'm curious too. The grits I have un-opened in my pantry are Quaker. The grits I've been eating were in an un-marked plastic jar on my kitchen counter, those gave me no problems but I don't know if they were Jim Dandy, Aunt Jemima, or Quaker. :(

If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

I'm curious too. The grits I have un-opened in my pantry are Quaker. The grits I've been eating were in an un-marked plastic jar on my kitchen counter, those gave me no problems but I don't know if they were Jim Dandy, Aunt Jemima, or Quaker. :(

Well, like I said for me personally the Quaker have been fine. I'm pretty sensitive to cc also (although not as bad as some people on this forum) and haven't had any problems with these.

I love grits and eat them all the time. Have never heard of the brand you mentioned, but I use Arrowhead Mills organic yellow corn grits. They say gluten free right on the box. Never had a problem with CC.

I love grits and eat them all the time. Have never heard of the brand you mentioned, but I use Arrowhead Mills organic yellow corn grits. They say gluten free right on the box. Never had a problem with CC.

I just found Arrowhead Mills corn Grits today at the store. It was the only one I could find. I love grits too.