Poppi

Can I Salvage My Baking Stone

Rate this topic

So one of my most treasured possessions is my baking stone. It was a birthday gift from my mother once upon a time and I have literally baked hundreds of loaves of gluten-filled bread on it. Both sides.

I can't think of anyway to salvage it since the whole point of a baking stone is a porous surface that transfers heat and moisture.

Any thoughts? Can I save it or do I need to find it a new home? :(

So one of my most treasured possessions is my baking stone. It was a birthday gift from my mother once upon a time and I have literally baked hundreds of loaves of gluten-filled bread on it. Both sides.

I can't think of anyway to salvage it since the whole point of a baking stone is a porous surface that transfers heat and moisture.

Any thoughts? Can I save it or do I need to find it a new home? :(

Poppi,

Most likely not. But could you buy another one and dedicate it to gluten free baking? The thought and sentiment are still there. I think your mother would understand. ;) Or, pass it down to someone special in your life.

I had the same dilemma. I ended up playing it safe and donated it.

Do you have a self-cleaning oven? The clean cycle should run at a high enough temperature (600+F) for at least 30 minutes, which would destroy any gluten. Put the stone in the oven and then run the clean cycle.

Do you have a self-cleaning oven? The clean cycle should run at a high enough temperature (600+F) for at least 30 minutes, which would destroy any gluten. Put the stone in the oven and then run the clean cycle.

I did that with mine. I even had a small piece cut off it so it would fit in my new oven here Baking stones are precious :D

I did that with mine. I even had a small piece cut off it so it would fit in my new oven here Baking stones are precious :D

Thank you thank you!

I will run it through tomorrow!

Brilliant, Peter! I hadn't thought of that!