This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Makeup

cait k

cait k Newbie

So I've always been somewhat doubtful that shampoo and skincare products will really adversely affect me if they contain any gluten. From what I have read, gluten cannot be absorbed into the skin, so the only possible contamination would be if you end up ingesting it somehow- from transfer, etc. (Is this incorrect?)

The thing that DOES worry me is lipgloss and lipstick, since obviously the chance of ingesting this is much higher than eating your mascara. In my experience, companies could not be more vague in disclosing whether or not gluten is in their products.

I recently received an array of Dior lipglosses and lipsticks (Dior Addict and the regular lipstick). Does anyone know if these are gluten-free? I have used them before without a horrible reaction...although I am still not fully healed and often feel poorly, so I cannot really tell if this contributes to it. Since they are pretty expensive (for my taste anyway!) it would be a shame to waste them. Such pretty colors!

Additionally, I have some Benefit lipglosses from a couple of years ago before I was diagnosed- anybody know about those?

Any input is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kwylee Apprentice

I checked a little less than a year ago online and found many sites saying all Dior lip products were gluten free and I've not had any problems, but you may want to check with the company directly.

You mentioned lip gloss that was a couple years old, you may want to consider pitching it, gluten or no. Bacteria builds up so easy on eye and lip products. Just a thought.

Gemini Experienced

So I've always been somewhat doubtful that shampoo and skincare products will really adversely affect me if they contain any gluten. From what I have read, gluten cannot be absorbed into the skin, so the only possible contamination would be if you end up ingesting it somehow- from transfer, etc. (Is this incorrect?)

The thing that DOES worry me is lipgloss and lipstick, since obviously the chance of ingesting this is much higher than eating your mascara. In my experience, companies could not be more vague in disclosing whether or not gluten is in their products.

I recently received an array of Dior lipglosses and lipsticks (Dior Addict and the regular lipstick). Does anyone know if these are gluten-free? I have used them before without a horrible reaction...although I am still not fully healed and often feel poorly, so I cannot really tell if this contributes to it. Since they are pretty expensive (for my taste anyway!) it would be a shame to waste them. Such pretty colors!

Additionally, I have some Benefit lipglosses from a couple of years ago before I was diagnosed- anybody know about those?

Thanks!

You are correct in that any product would have to be ingested to cause an autoimmune response.

I do not screen anything but lip products and eyedrops, plus hand cream. I shouldn't have to mention that anything which is used in the mouth is another screened item. I am a very sensitive Celiac but am very careful about ingestion and so far, after 6 years, have no problems and my antibody testing is always stellar. If you use good products, the odds of them containing wheat is very low.

MAC lipsticks are gluten free and I have used them for years. They have many colors and I like the products very much. I am not sure if all are gluten-free but you can check.

If you are not healing, then you may be ingesting products. It may be something to think about.

It's a personal choice issue and not everyone can make a success of it. I would be strict about the lip stuff, though, as you eat that! Try the MAC line...it's pretty good.

bigbird16 Apprentice

For awhile after going gluten-free, I would get raging migraines and other gluten reaction symptoms after performances. (I'm a dancer, and the only time I wear makeup is for shows.) What was going on? I knew I was fueling myself appropriately with gluten-free foods and not sharing my goodies with glutenous-handed people. I hadn't thought about changing out my lip products. Once I did, the migraines after shows stopped. Also, even if you have lip products that are gluten-free but you used them before you went gluten-free, those products could be considered contaminated (plus the bacteria issue of old makeup). I don't share my gluten-free lipstick with fellow dancers, either, because I know they've been eating sandwiches and pizza, etc. I keep a regular lipstick in my makeup bag for them. (Yes, I know it's gross to share lipstick, but when someone forgets or loses hers, she can't go onstage with naked lips.)

thleensd Enthusiast

I sat down with guy at the local MAC store- and asked him a ton of questions. He got out his giant ingredient book, but that was overkill. ALL of their products clearly label if there is gluten! They aren't all gluten-free, though. One of their mascaras has barley in it. Really? Barley? Just look at the label and it will use actual plain English. Not all of their lipsticks are ok last time I checked... but stuff changes.

Loey Rising Star

Thanks!

I threw out all of my old make-up when I was diagnosed. I'm pasting a link to a google list of online gluten-free product sites. Hope it helps.

Loey

Open Original Shared Link

Archived