UKGail

Weird Reaction - Nut Allergy Or Gluten Reaction?

Rate this topic

I was travelling home on a mostly empty train today, and I sat about 6 or 8 feet away from a woman who was eating a snack. Instantly my body started tingling and my chest started to tighten and my throat tickled. I moved to the end of the carriage, (and saw that she was eating a large pot of nuts coated in something or other). The end of the carriage still wasn't far enough away, and I had to walk past her again to get to the next carriage, which was blissfully clear, and had calm and uneventful journey home.

Can anyone say if this might be a nut allergy issue or a gluten reaction? I don't seem to have any problems buying packaged bread and baked products for my family in the supermarket, provided I don't linger too long (and having those items in the kitchen at home).

Since going gluten free about 6 weeks ago I have been suspicious that I might be having an allergic reaction to nuts. However as this reaction (chest and throat tightness, abdominal swelling and a burning skin rash) happened so soon after going gluten free, it has been hard to distinguish whether it was due to gluten withdrawal sypmtoms nor not. More lately I seem to have been able to eat a couple of cookies with almond flour in them, provided i don't overdo it, so I am not entirely sure I have become allergic to nuts.

If you have never reacted to nuts before, it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that you would have a reaction like that from just being in the same area. Not impossible, but very very unlikely. (My child does have tree nut and peanut allergies, this is something we have gone over with out Dr. about)

Could it be gluten? I don't know.

Good luck trying to figure it out!

I was travelling home on a mostly empty train today, and I sat about 6 or 8 feet away from a woman who was eating a snack. Instantly my body started tingling and my chest started to tighten and my throat tickled. I moved to the end of the carriage, (and saw that she was eating a large pot of nuts coated in something or other). The end of the carriage still wasn't far enough away, and I had to walk past her again to get to the next carriage, which was blissfully clear, and had calm and uneventful journey home.

Can anyone say if this might be a nut allergy issue or a gluten reaction? I don't seem to have any problems buying packaged bread and baked products for my family in the supermarket, provided I don't linger too long (and having those items in the kitchen at home).

Since going gluten free about 6 weeks ago I have been suspicious that I might be having an allergic reaction to nuts. However as this reaction (chest and throat tightness, abdominal swelling and a burning skin rash) happened so soon after going gluten free, it has been hard to distinguish whether it was due to gluten withdrawal sypmtoms nor not. More lately I seem to have been able to eat a couple of cookies with almond flour in them, provided i don't overdo it, so I am not entirely sure I have become allergic to nuts.

This certainly sounds more like an allergic reaction, IMO. Gluten reactions are so varied I suppose it "could" be from gluten but it seems very unlikely. The symtpoms you describe-swelling, throat closing and hives are allergy reactions. You might also consider that it's not a food allergy but an environmental allergy instead--like an allergy to pollen, dust, grass, cologne, fumes from the train engine, etc. If you had that severe of a nut allergy you would know it when you ate nuts. Also the chest tightness could be a sign of either asthma or an anxiety attack.

Very highly unlikely to have anything to do with gluten.

richard

Thanks for all your thoughts. I had thought it was an allergy type response, but wasn't sure, because I am new to both immediate gluten reactions and to allergies. I have had a couple of previous episodes recently of a response to nuts, but only to nut ingestion. I have no idea what else could have been triggering my response in that particular carriage, as the next carriage along was fine. I am also allergic to some antibiotics.

I don't think it was an anxiety response as I am around gluten foods all the time both at home and at work, and I just focus on washing my hands frequently and never putting them close to my mouth, and being careful about my food prep.